64 Dart 2 door sedan

-
Well we fired it up today, set the timing and carb, topped off the trans fliud. All is good. Will post more photos this weekend if the weather calms down. The weather has turned and we have 50 + mph winds and lots of blowing dirt and debris. Got to figure out a air filter,won't have much room when the hood is on. Lots of little things to do now,Alignment,seatbelts,install better tail light lenses.Go over and tighten everything.See ya next week,, I'm a happy boy !!

This Cuda showed up at the shop today,Of course for sale when I got empty pockets.

Attachments

• IMG_1970.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 512
Here is something I found,Door weatherstrip for both doors at Rockauto $30 for the set. If you don't want to spend over $100 for door weatherstrip with colored cloth, these are for a 80's Dodge Truck.Fit, finish and function is great for much less cost.
Fairchild kit # KD3004. The door opening for both the 64 Dart and the 88 standard cab pickup measures out to 13'. In my hand is all that needed triming.

Attachments

• IMG_1992.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_1994.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_1995.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_2003.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_2004.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 530
I do my own alignments with a set of turn tables, bubble gauge, and a toe trammel bar.I wasn't sure if doing the 60's nose high was the right thing to do so I went with a stock ride height (a little higher than stock)and can play with looks later. The hood had to be raised in the back to clear the air cleaner.Anybody know of a drop base that I could use that fits and clears the linkage of the Edelbrock AFB ? Most are for Holleys and may not work with the AFB.Another item for the "To Do List"

Attachments

• IMG_2002.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_2000.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_1998.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 545
A little about the engine ,

1967 225 stock bottom end
Head milled .100, Stock valve size, Port work and set up with Mopar 340 valve springs.Head CC at 44. All work done by Jim Earl Head service in Boulder City Nv.
Comp cam # 64-000-5 Grind #CR6 5667/5668 S 108+4
424 Lift, Duration Intake 230 Exhaust 238 @ .050
Clifford Intake and Headers, Edelbrock 600 AFB, Mopar Electronic Ignition

Attachments

• IMG_1999.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 505
Next is to make it legal for the road, Do a little tuning and shake down, a clean up to be ready for MATS 2014 in April. Hope to see some of you Guys there.:blob:

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 535
Thanks,, I was told that soap and water with a scotchbrite pad will blend the dead paint,light and dark spots.Never tried it but gonna give it a shot. The pictures look alot worse than actual eye sight. I'm sure I'll be playin' with it alot. The hot thing out here with the Rat Rod crowd is skuff it and then shoot it with clear.Maybe in the future.

Cool build man!

Honestly if I was you man I'd go ahead and paint it. The gold under the hood is gorgeous and I bet that car would pop in the sun wearing it. I have no idea how I missed your build, thanks for pm'ing me about it.

After I play with it for a while I have a buddy back east that's a bodyman. He won't be able to stand looking at it, thus it will end up being redone. Or It may get sold first. Who knows ?

Thanks,, I was told that soap and water with a scotchbrite pad will blend the dead paint,light and dark spots.Never tried it but gonna give it a shot. The pictures look alot worse than actual eye sight. I'm sure I'll be playin' with it alot. The hot thing out here with the Rat Rod crowd is skuff it and then shoot it with clear.Maybe in the future.

Love your build. Let us know how that soap/Scotchbrite works. My 66 Dart needs the same treatment. tmm

Will do. I'm chasing a ignition gremlin right now. Got it narrowed down but won't be back at it for a few days. Put about 50 miles on it doin' a shake down.

Toolmanmike, I tried the scotchbrite/soap&water. Not gonna happen. The photos kinda looks like it is better but it's not. Oh well never know unless you try....Before and after. The flash took the marks out of the photo.The paint is looong dead !

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_2017.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 417
Car looks great! Keep those pictures and progress coming along!

A member wanted some info on oil pump and gauge hook up for the slant on a different forum. Snapped a few photos for him.

Attachments

• IMG_2005.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_2006.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 402
I seen this in the Show your Slant six page and hit the search button :glasses7:
Outstanding job on this engine and trans work and suspension all the way to the rearend :cheers:.
Can't wait to see the first video :supz:
Congratulations on a well thought out build and the hard work to get it to where it is today..

Thanks Mike, Got a few bugs to work out. Going to install a electric fuel pump as a booster for the mechanical. I narrowed the electrical gremlin down but seems like a fuel delivery problem now at top end. Never had the carb open yet, but will check float level and do some jetting. I'll see about a video,,I'm such a caveman when it comes to that stuff. I still can't figure out a cell phone and all the little icons on it. Even when I break out the cheater reading glasses !! Everyday I have to get the wife to help me with this computer stuff...She is the one that down loads all the photos.

Got her all ready for the MATS show next week, Will be in the swap meet area as I got plenty more leftover parts that I'll be letting go.Went thru the electrical system looking for a high speed miss,wasn't anything electrical or the ignition system
Found out that the high speed miss was from the jetting being too rich. I thought it was from being too lean.Goes to show,you learn something new every day.Runs real good now.Plan to make a few passes down the track. Not expecting much with the 2.94 gears,(To lazy to open the rear back up to install the 3.55's). I did install shorter tires to help.I hope to break into the 15's,,,We will see.....:burnout:

So the car ran real good backing up it's times within a few 1000th's of a second.It actually spun the tires off the line,, But REALLY needs a converter as the engine didn't come alive until 3300 rpm. The Hughes converter is way to tight stalling at 2000 rpm. Best pass of the day was 17.74 @ 80 mph. I shift at 5000 and with the 2.94 gears was going thru the lights at 4800 in SECOND gear. A little tuning ,timing,gears, and tires,, I think I can get it into the 15's.The engine combo ran a 15.45 in good air in a 67 Dart that I had with 4.30 gears. Oh, the car weight is 3930 with me in it (230#). Won first round and broke out by a 10'th in the second.Fun Little Car !!

Attachments

• IMG_4815.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 306
In the next few weeks plans are to swap the 2.94's to 3.73. Also show the install of the electric fuel pump, though after finding my high speed miss it isn't needed. I put it on a relay and a switch to run if ever the need arises. Also do the switcha-roo with tire and rims.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 280
I made a mistake on post # 45 . The weight of the car with me in it is 2930 lbs. Just noticed that I hit the wrong Key.

-
Back