64 dart convert to EFI

-

64dartny

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve got a 64 dart with the LA V-8. Want to convert to EFI. What unit would you choose to make this a reality? Mechanic says no domestic/reputable aftermarket options available for this model year. He’s recommending a modern universal carb with an adapter plate.

What are you looking to accomplish? Easier cold weather starts? Better fuel economy, drive ability? And NEW carb will do all three, but efi will give you a pretty much maintenance free motor with excellent manners in all weather. The 2bbl tb kits are good, all in one units that self learn but give few benefits over the cost compared to an NOS carb for your application. The more advanced MPFI units like edelbrocks pro-flow 2-4 will give you flexible ignition profiles too that will help more than just efi alone. Even the DIY stuff (MS3, Motec, etc) is getting expensive nowadays unless you can find an older model used. A dialed in MS2 or even a 1 can still run a motor well. Good luck. Tell us what you end up going with.

This can be a very difficult question to answer, and Pishta has brought up the core. The answer is not simple. How much money are you willing to spend? NONE of the "bolt on" EFI systems are really all that simple to get running very very well, depending on your computer skills and electrical knowledge.

Some things to ask yourself
1...How much money am I willing to spend
2....What are may electrical and computer skills
3....How long am I going to keep this vehicle and how much, really am I going to drive it
4....If you can not install this yourself, it is going to cost a LOT of money shop time, and a UNIQUE mechanic who is able and willing to operate on old vehicles with not OEM parts

Your mechanic IS incorrect, however. There ARE systems that would work on your V8, they simply are not a "bolt and go." The Holley sniper series, the FItech which is similar to the Holley sniper IN THAT they are both a "4 bbl carb like device" with most of the electronics in the unit

ProFlo4. If you’re going to do it might as well do it right and no longer have a wet manifold. Plenty of posters have said they have had good luck with the sniper but……. I dislike the fact with the sniper, atomic, fitech, all retain the wet manifold and house all of the electronics in the unit mounted to the manifold which is exposed to HEAT which is not particularly good for electronics. Also keep in mind your going to also need a fuel system preferably a in tank pump with supply and return lines.

I’m running a ProFlo3 and a ProFlo4 and other than the distributor phasing discussed on another post, they have been reliable.

Thanks all for your replies, originally the shop rebuilt the carb (along w extensive overhaul) — they test drove it 100 mi successfully before a sputtering issue back at the shop. They foresee future carb issues and recommended EFI for peace of mind long term.
I do not have the knowledge, space or time to do this myself, but I have budgeted to get this Dart to daily driver standard. I plan to keep it long term, drive it often in season, and to be content with this one classic.
I am computer competent so would be comfortable with that aspect of learning and maintenance once installed.
I had read positive Holley Sniper reviews here and entered my vehicle info on their site which lead me to their Holley Sniper EFI Self-Tuning Master Kit (4bbl). Unit is expensive and backordered, but is this what I’m looking for?
And noted on the supply and return lines for the fuel tank, is there a recommended brand, compatible with the Holley Sniper and my model year?
Appreciate everyones replies and advice

originally the shop rebuilt the carb (along w extensive overhaul) — they test drove it 100 mi successfully before a sputtering issue back at the shop. They foresee future carb issues and recommended EFI for peace of mind long term.

ummmm. what is causing the sputtering issue? if you are having issues like that with a carb chances are you'll have even more with efi.

Any of these aftermarket EFI systems are somewhat "universal." They are not brand/ model specific. There are ? at least 2 ? hp levels of the Holley, you just need to get the smaller 4bbl one I think "up to" 600hp. UNLIKE a carb, an EFI cannot really have a "too large" throttle body, because it does not use vacuum signals in the body (carb) to control fuel. The only downside of getting a "too large" system would be too large injectors. You will have to "do something" about fuel as well. Many use an inline Walbro pump, I've forgotten what model. The EFI systems all need higher pressures for fuel than a carb. Go to the Holley support site and do some reading Go to Youtube and do some looking. ESPECIALLY for Holley, there is TONS AND TONS of "DIY" info.

I don’t know what caused the sputtering, they took the carb back out and identified a rod/lever (?) out of place/alignment. I don’t have my note w me at the moment.
Noted on the units being universal and to just select the correct size. Noted on the Walbro, will look into it.
Just spent a couple hours on YouTube watching Sniper install videos. Actually feels approachable if I can get the space.
I’m going to follow up w mechanic asking them to order and install a sniper, or to ID the current carb issue and I’ll consider EFI swap at a later date.
Again I appreciate the questions, advice, and suggestions all

-
Back