64 Viper Dart??

-

64dartmanDan

Reaction score
Ok, I am a new member here, and I would like some input from you guys. I have had my 64 Dart with the original 170 slant-six and 3 on the tree since high school. After and unfortunate man-hole/ K-member incedent, the car has pretty much sat in a garrage and now a storage unit. I am now getting to the point that I either need to do something with that beautiful machine or sell it. I have always had this crazy dream of stuffing a Viper drive train in that car. I haven't heard of any one doing that in an early model A-body yet. I am not sure if that's because it can't be done or it just hasn't. I have already found a motor and tranny that I could buy, but before I do I am curious if you guys can think of any reason that I should just go the easy route and drop in a small block crate motor?

Anything is possible, my largest concern is the overall length of v10 engine into the short engine bay of the Dart. Lots of fabrication will be required.

Anything is possible, my largest concern is the overall length of v10 engine into the short engine bay of the Dart. Lots of fabrication will be required.

What is the length of the V10 as compared to a slant? If the same, less or even slightly more, it will physically fit and lots of fabrication will still be required. Much easier to install a crate engine.

Welcome to the best web site on the net I think!!!
That would be sweet!! I say do it!!!
Post some pictures of your work so we can see it take shape!!

What about the front end? is there anything I can do to the suspension? and does anyone know where I can find more information on the viper motor? diminsions, weight, ect...

I have a question on this type of swap. If you use an engine that requires pollution controls (cats and air pumps) can you put it an older style car and not worry about the pollution controls? Would the engine run without all the pollution control inputs hooked up? Just a thought.

Sounds cool, but would probably be very costly and labor intensive to do it right...and I'm not trying to talk you out of it at all if you have the time and means.
A few things that come to mind are what will be the purpose of this car: a fun driver, a show car, straight line car?
For a fun driver I would go with a small block (least expensive and minimal fabrication & modifications to do correctly). Basically bolt ons.
A show car is obviously very expensive and labor intensive to do correctly, but if you have the money and time, GO FOR IT!! Post pic's.:thumblef:
Probably not the easiest choice for a drag car.
I don't think there's a way to get enough rubber on the ground to get the amount of handling you would need for cornering at high speed (ie. like a Viper) without major mods.
Regardless, if you have the means and it is what you want, DO IT. It would be pretty unique. The people hear are pretty knowledgeable and will help answer questions the best that they can. Either way, Good luck and get 'er back on the road.:burnout:

Welcome to FABO! Any thing can be done if you want it bad enouf. That would be a very cool swap. Good luck with it.

I can sell you the engine 7,000 plus shipping only has 3000 miles on it 2005 v 10

cool swap but it will break the bank, turbo a small block cheaper and easier

Viper drivetrain is cool....really in name only. GenIII 6.1 hemi parts are readily available for suspension, headers, mounts etc.....

Viper V10 is all fab'n, not to mention the weight of the motor vs a GenIII Hemi.

Well..... after pricing a few things and really researching this crazy idea I had in high school.... I think I am leaning torwards a small block. I know I want at least 500HP out of the motor, how would I go about doing that?

Turbo 318. Find a 85-91 318 at the boneyard. Rebuild it with good parts and a turbo friendly cam. Use late model Magnum truck manifolds...left on right, right on left so the exhaust points forward. The rest is just plumbing and the right turbo accessories.

Viper drivetrain is cool....really in name only. GenIII 6.1 hemi parts are readily available for suspension, headers, mounts etc.....

Viper V10 is all fab'n, not to mention the weight of the motor vs a GenIII Hemi.

The Viper engine may actually be lighter, have to do some checking on that.

Stroked 360 would get you over 400 cid and could make 500 HP with some good heads and a big cam.

That's true, but it depends what he really wants. A 500 horse stroker small block is most likely not going to be very everyday driver friendly.
If done right, a turbo 318 could produce far more than that and the pwer level could be adjustable from the dash.
I will be posting my build on this site when I finally come up with the plan and the cash.
I reccomend that the OP does a lot of reading. Here is another site to check out: http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

Lot's of good info there.:read2: Scroll down to the Mopar section.

If I were looking for the easiest way to make 500 hp, I'd go with a twin turbo small block, probably a 360 as they don't seem to be much more expensive than 318s. Though I wouldn't pass up a 318 if I found a good deal on it. I definitely second Dave's link to the Turbo Forums; I'm on that site a lot myself.

-
Back