65 Barracuda Factory Fan?!

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
I am in the process of swapping my 65 barracuda back to the factory 273 Commando engine and my car is a factory A/C car. My car did not have the fan with it when I acquired the car. I posted a few things on Facebook, but did not get many answers about what did the factory fan look like for a 273 commando A/C car would be. I am leaning towards the clutch fan just because I would give up some traditional look for better cooling, but I wanna know!

One Person said this fan came factory on his 273 A/C car:
IMG_3498.JPG

A different gentleman says this is his 65 Cuda 273 A/C fan:
IMG_3554.PNG

I don't think either of those is correct for a 65. I believe they had a six or seven blade fixed fan. I cannot remember which. @toolmanmike might know for sure.

The A/C fan for 1965 would be 6 or 7 blades, have no clutch, and a 2 piece metal fan shroud. It will be 17” in diameter, unlike the later fans which are 18”. If I didn’t mess up my knee today, I would walk over and take a pic of the correct fan for you. I did take mine and add a clutch to it tho, but not on the convertible. If I can hobble over there tomorrow, I’ll shoot you a pic.

My '66 was a six blade fixed, but was a 2bbl 273 and not a Commando/Charger; although I doubt that would have changed anything.

I think I have a seven blade fixed fan somewhere. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll find it.

I am in the process of swapping my 65 barracuda back to the factory 273 Commando engine and my car is a factory A/C car. My car did not have the fan with it when I acquired the car. I posted a few things on Facebook, but did not get many answers about what did the factory fan look like for a 273 commando A/C car would be. I am leaning towards the clutch fan just because I would give up some traditional look for better cooling, but I wanna know!

One Person said this fan came factory on his 273 A/C car:
View attachment 1716161581

A different gentleman says this is his 65 Cuda 273 A/C fan:
View attachment 1716161583
The 7 blade setup looks to be from a later year. The factory A/C '65-6 cars I've had used a 7 blade (aluminum blades) fan (2858401) with a clutch (fluid drive). The add-on A/C cars got the 6 blade (all steel) rigid fan w/o a clutch. There was also another A/C fan (2532257) which is shown in my '66 factory parts manual as 7 blade, but, I it should be the 6 blade rigid type. Maybe a typo in my book? They show that being the one with add-on A/C. If that 7 blade you show is the correct diameter, offset and fits without hitting anything, I'd use it. I'd also use the factory shroud too if you have the stock radiator.

Last edited:
The 7 blade setup looks to be from a later year. The factory A/C '65-6 cars I've had used a 7 blade (aluminum blades) fan (2858401) with a clutch (fluid drive). The add-on A/C cars got the 6 blade (all steel) rigid fan w/o a clutch. There was also another A/C fan (2532257) which is shown in my '66 factory parts manual as 7 blade, but, I it should be the 6 blade rigid type. Maybe a typo in my book? They show that being the one with add-on A/C. If that 7 blade you show is the correct diameter, offset and fits without hitting anything, I'd use it. I'd also use the factory shroud too if you have the stock radiator.
I have 2 of the factory shrouds so I will definitely be using one.

I couldn't fit a clutch-fan in my 273, not even a thin one for a 1980's M-B 300D (but does bolt to water pump). But, I don't have a factory radiator. Even if OE, I'm not sure an early-A has room for a clutch-fan. A 1990's Jaguar clutch-fan is also popular with rodders since thin. Best are clutch-fans with a thermostat on the front. I think the others don't adjust with temperature.

Last edited:
There is room for a stock clutch setup. The clutch takes the place of the long spacer that a non-A/C system uses. As for the two different designs of "clutches", the fluid drive unit is just a silicone based unit that will not completely lock up. The thermal drive unit has the bi-metal spring that attaches to an actual clutch inside that will lock to the water pump, spin the fan faster, and give more potential cooling effect under certain conditions. It also has one more seal that can potentially leak.

-
Back