65 Barracuda, Sinful installation.

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed or heard of being installed...a small block Chevy 283-350 in a 65-66 Barracuda? It sounds sinful, but it has been something that came up in a recent conversation.
Just a thought.
Norm

People put those damn things in everything . The newest fad is sticking LS engines in everything because everything else is too expensive to build and LS engines are superior (in my most sarcastic voice)

Last edited:
well to each his own I guess but not really sure why anyone would want a Mopar if they want to power it by a Chevy, what makes a Mopar unique is the fact it is a Mopar from the engine to the rear end, personally I am not a complete purest I like modifications but when I go to a car show I look at a car of what ever brand I appreciate the work the owner put into it but if its is powered by something other than the brand of motor it came with I loose interest and walk away, just my two cents

Because some people look at things strictly with dollar signs in mind. A first generation 350 Chevy can be built for a fraction of the cost of a Mopar. I say good for them. At least it's saving a Mopar body from the scrapper.

i'm not much on switching brand motors. If I have a ford, I want a ford motor. same with Mopar or chevy. Fastest way for me to click off an add is when it has a mismatched engine.
Example: 1951 Ford pickup, 350 chevy engine (Click, off that add I go.... LOL).
I'm fine with going with a newer engine of the same brand. But, that's just me.
I suppose if it was from the 1930's, I might be more open to it.

"At least it's saving a Mopar body from the scrapper",

so then is it really a Mopar or just a sheep ( Chevy ) in a wolf's ( Mopar ) clothing
smiley-face-laughing.gif

Sorry Rusty just kidding, but I just love my Mopars and really dis-like the bowtie again it comes down to personal choice, to each his own

"At least it's saving a Mopar body from the scrapper",

so then is it really a Mopar or just a sheep ( Chevy ) in a wolf's ( Mopar ) clothingView attachment 1714997577
Sorry Rusty just kidding, but I just love my Mopars and really dis-like the bowtie again it comes down to personal choice, to each his own
I love my Mopars too and cannot put into words how much I dislike chebbies. Everytime I see something with a chebbie smallblock all I can think is BORING. Been done to death. And as far as the LS being put in other makes, BORING too IMO. Tired of that. If it's a Mopar how about a 6.1 or 6.4 instead of an LpoS? Can't blame me for being so Mopar biased. I mean this is a forum dedicated to a classic Mopar!

I like a lot different brands of cars I enjoy looking at what people have done to match their taste . I have been Mopar almost 45 years but that doesn't mean I won't look at a nice Chevy,Ford Pontiac or other makes but not into foreign cars . I agree with 318willrun if you have a Ford use Ford same with Chevy or Mopar even when doing street rods . If I am working on a Mopar I try and build it all Mopar . But a person needs to build it with whatever his budget is and enjoy it. Good luck circlepilot

I like a lot different brands of cars I enjoy looking at what people have done to match their taste . I have been Mopar almost 45 years but that doesn't mean I won't look at a nice Chevy,Ford Pontiac or other makes but not into foreign cars . I agree with 318willrun if you have a Ford use Ford same with Chevy or Mopar even when doing street rods . If I am working on a Mopar I try and build it all Mopar . But a person needs to build it with whatever his budget is and enjoy it. Good luck circlepilot
if it`s a mopar, keep it mopar. all others who cares! I`ve got a 350 GMC truck engine, and kind of looking for something to put it in. don`t really care as long as it`s a ford or ???

As a MoPar branded guy since I was young and I am heading toward 50 now (about 35 years); I have always appreciated a Chevrolet in a Chevy and a Ford in a Ford. When I see cars with miss matched engines and transmissions or rears- I honestly know it comes down to cost because as an example- a Ford 9" is cheaper than an 8 3/4" rear but way more plentiful and less expensive to build. I will personally drive 1/2 way across the US to get the correct 8 3/4" rear for my car vs. buying a already done 9" for my Demon right down the road. The guy on Street Outlaws with the Dart and a Chevrolet engine in it on TV... Breaks my heart because I know a Chrysler Engine could be built just as fast and powerful as the Chevrolet... But the sponsors want to promote their products as most don't build Chrysler parts.
Honestly it is your car and your drive. But please do get slighted when the Chevrolet AND MoPar guys pass you by. You may get a few that appreciate the hard work it takes to weld in new mounts or wire the engine in but most will treat you like the "Red Headed step child" from the group. Sorry, but Chrysler fans are a unique bunch and we are proud to be diffrent and not follow the pack, its why our cars are so cool and their values are the highest of all the cars at a car show.
We just dont look good in bow-ties.
Again- Good luck with your search and the path you travel.
Joe

if you have the $$ - damn near nothing is impossible.. so set your brand loyalties aside and don't think of would you do it, that's not what is being asked - of course it's doable.. and I would expect someone has done it at least once...

if you have the $$ - damn near nothing is impossible.. so set your brand loyalties aside and don't think of would you do it, that's not what is being asked - of course it's doable.. and I would expect someone has done it at least once...
In a Nova?

I am not a complete purest I like modifications but when I go to a car show I look at a car of what ever brand I appreciate the work the owner put into it but if its is powered by something other than the brand of motor it came with I loose interest and walk away, just my two cents

Hear that a lot from the Ford guys too. Neighbor of mine is always grumbling about people who put 350s in their street rods. Like you, I wanna keep my car as Mopar as possible.

Then again, I suppose it isn't any worse than those disc conversion kits that use (ugh) toyota parts.:eek:

For whatever reason, a Ford 9" rear end doesn't rub me wrong in a Mopar. I prefer a DANA 60. It seems to be the power plant that rubs me wrong. I don't even like a Chevy 350 in a old Olds/Buick or Pontiac, even though they are all GM.

Years ago my brother sold a '69 Charger body to another guy, and he put a 327 chevy in it. That's just wrong. :eek:

I've got to say, I'm another who is turned off by cars with different brand engines. I like all brands of cars (of course Mopar is my favorite) but when I see one with a different brand of engine, unless it's something like a Hemi in an Anglia or a Ford Cammer in a Thames Panel I lose interest immediately.

Wow! Great responses, I figured along the same lines as most of the comments..."reflecting purity." The subject came up in a conversation with a friend, discussing my on-going restoration of my 65 Barracuda. I have two of them. The one being currently restored, (a 225 automatic) I'm trying to keep original "bumper to bumper." My other 65, (273 2B 3speed) I had ideas to "hot rod" it. That is when the small block Chevy subject came up. It was known that I still have an engine in storage (out of my circle track car) and why didn't I consider using it? My answer was about the same..."A Chevy powered Barracuda?" It seemed to me, to be a "sinful installation." Again...thanks for the replies and dedication.
Norm

It seems to me that it would be easier and less expensive to keep the same manufacturers engine. But, there is a guy that shows up at mopars at the rock drag way in a Camaro with a hemi in it.
Again seems like it would be a lot harder to put a different manufacturers engine in a car

DC400020.JPG
Mopar motor in Mopar. This is a 383 Chrysler big block in my 37 Dodge Sedan.

Last edited:
-
Back