65 Barracuda taillight issue

-

ABQ65Barracuda

Reaction score
My passenger taillight will not flash (blink) or light up while braking, it does light up when the lights are on. All other lights, blinkers are working correctly. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks

bad bulb.

The blinker (turn signal) interrupts the BRAKE light power to the bulb. if the bulb lights up with the head lights on that is a different filament in the same bulb.

cheap and easy to prove if it is the issue.

other answers are the turn signal switch, or the wiring to the bulb itself

bad bulb.

The blinker (turn signal) interrupts the BRAKE light power to the bulb. if the bulb lights up with the head lights on that is a different filament in the same bulb.

Had the same problem, one of the wires had pulled out of the steering harness connector

bad bulb.

I don't think it's the bulb because it works on the driver side correctly. I'll check the other things. Thank you.

I don't think it's the bulb because it works on the driver side correctly. I'll check the other things. Thank you
That is the text book reason for one side to work and the other side to not work.

If the parking light works (ie the headlights on) and there is light in the tail light then the ground is good.

If one side brake light works then there is power from the main splice through the brake switch, and through the turn signal switch to the bulb.

If that side turn signal works than the flasher unit works

Now if the brake light does not work on one side, then the bulb or wiring or trun signal switch is bad.

Changing a light bulb takes 1 minute, everything else takes 30 to 60 minutes to fully check out.

Do as you want but IMHO you are going down a rabbit hole not to change the bulb first.

Changing the bulb allows you to check voltages directly in the bulb socket.

That is the text book reason for one side to work and the other side to not work.

If the parking light works (ie the headlights on) and there is light in the tail light then the ground is good.

If one side brake light works then there is power from the main splice through the brake switch, and through the turn signal switch to the bulb.

If that side turn signal works than the flasher unit works

Now if the brake light does not work on one side, then the bulb or wiring or trun signal switch is bad.

Changing a light bulb takes 1 minute, everything else takes 30 to 60 minutes to fully check out.

Do as you want but IMHO you are going down a rabbit hole not to change the bulb first.

Changing the bulb allows you to check voltages directly in the bulb socket.
I did change the bulb and it didn't work, then I tried the same bulb on the other side and it worked. That's why I don't think it's the bulb.

column connector.jpg

Here's what that connector looks like. Might just need a squeeze to lock it into place.

Try moving the turn signal lever slowly while someone watches the signals outside. Sometimes the contacts wear and begin to lose their connection. If you can make the signals light moving the lever slowly, it needs another turn signal switch.

-
Back