65 Commando VS 67 Commando

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
I own a 65 Plymouth Barracuda that had a 273 Commando from the factory. I unfortunately in my stupid youth pulled the engine and sold it for cash to fund a 360 to put into the car. I am working on acquiring the parts to build either a 273 commando or a 318 commando clone. I just picked up a set of commando valve covers in my local area off market place for $150. I plan on completely restoring them to use on the engine. I was doing some research and I am a bit confused on the differences between the 65-66 and 67 valve covers. I believe the set I picked up are 67 Commando Covers, but from my research online it seems like I see 65 with the same as what I picked up and I see 66 and 67 with the ones I figured were 65 covers. I just want to get some info on what exactly is right for commandos in 1965 and if I could

Is there any difference between the stock 273 covers and the commando covers other than the wrinkle paint and aluminum fins? Are the fins different sizes going from 65 to 67? Which year used the dual style plug wire holders and which year used the single, because I have seen pictures with both years using single and dual retainers.

I am going to attempt to make molds and castings of the aluminum fins just for fun and we will see how it goes.

This is the set I just picked up! I will have to straighten and polish up the aluminum, but I am pretty happy with my purchase. Someone had put a lot of coats of paint, but you can still see the original wrinkle coat in some areas.
67 Commando Valve Covers.jpg

67 Commando Valve Covers 2.jpg

These are what I believe 65 Commando Covers look like:
65 Commando Valve Covers.JPG

Here is a 67 with the single wire retainers:
67 barracuda commando.jpg

Here is a 65 with single wire retainers:
273motor.jpg

Here is a 65/66 with the style of valve cover I just picked up:
273 Commando AC 2.JPG

67 has no stove pipe on pass side, and has "cup" that holds wires as well as tabs. Also has the double wire holders.
As far as I know fins are the same, EXCEPT for the wire holders.
Yours are 67.
I like 65/66 as they have the stovepipe for pcv holder.

I own a 65 Plymouth Barracuda that had a 273 Commando from the factory. I unfortunately in my stupid youth pulled the engine and sold it for cash to fund a 360 to put into the car. I am working on acquiring the parts to build either a 273 commando or a 318 commando clone. I just picked up a set of commando valve covers in my local area off market place for $150. I plan on completely restoring them to use on the engine. I was doing some research and I am a bit confused on the differences between the 65-66 and 67 valve covers. I believe the set I picked up are 67 Commando Covers, but from my research online it seems like I see 65 with the same as what I picked up and I see 66 and 67 with the ones I figured were 65 covers. I just want to get some info on what exactly is right for commandos in 1965 and if I could

Is there any difference between the stock 273 covers and the commando covers other than the wrinkle paint and aluminum fins? Are the fins different sizes going from 65 to 67? Which year used the dual style plug wire holders and which year used the single, because I have seen pictures with both years using single and dual retainers.

I am going to attempt to make molds and castings of the aluminum fins just for fun and we will see how it goes.

This is the set I just picked up! I will have to straighten and polish up the aluminum, but I am pretty happy with my purchase. Someone had put a lot of coats of paint, but you can still see the original wrinkle coat in some areas.
View attachment 1716157156

View attachment 1716157155

These are what I believe 65 Commando Covers look like:

View attachment 1716157157

Here is a 67 with the single wire retainers:
View attachment 1716157159

Here is a 65 with single wire retainers:
View attachment 1716157160

Here is a 65/66 with the style of valve cover I just picked up:
View attachment 1716157161
You pretty much answered your own question. Here's a thread. Charger/Commando valve covers.

The 67 has a dome at the Breather & PCV.
The fins on the 67 have a hole for the wire retainer clip.

Alan

Look in the 65, 66 and 67 FSM. there are photos in many sections that show the insulators. There is one photo in 67 that shows the charger/commando valve cover with single insulators on the driver's side but no corresponding photo of the pass side.

As for covers.

The pcv on 67 pressed into a grommet on the valve cover

Screenshot_20231022-232015.png

whereas 66 older screws into a breather like cover that slides into a stove pipe on the valve cover.

Screenshot_20231022-231737.png

67 has dome on pcv? Our 67 on pass side is a grommet/pcv, drivers side has dome/breather.
The valve cover itself has a slightly domed area where the grommet is. The left side has the same slightly domed area under the chimney.

The earlier ones are just flat.

Alan

Did the 65/66 and 67 all use the same style of breather that featured the chrome “oil/oil” in two different directions ?

Are the 65/66 273 non-commando covers the same as the commando ones ? I was thinking about trying to create a set of 65/66 commando covers by making casts of the aluminum fins and adding them to plain 273 covers.
I haven't looked at the 2 barrel covers close enough to compare the 2 but there's a good chance they are the same ones.

Last edited:
I just was confused cause from my hunting online I have seen 65/66s with the rubber grommet Pcv valve that people claim are completely factory cars.
Nope. 65 and 66 covers had stovepipes on both covers. THe only difference between the 5 and 6 is that the 66 has a wire guide on the passenger side cover.

spring break09 016.JPG

THe 67 uses the wire guide and they switched to the one piece plug wire insulators. The 67's also had a rubber grommet for the PCV instead of the stovepipe and pcv cap. Look at the first 3 photos here. Charger/Commando valve covers.

Last edited:
The Commando 273 fins are glued onto the valve covers (not sure with what, but something like JB weld, which I don't think existed in 65) and can be (carefully) pried off and glued onto a set of two barrel valve covers. No need to fabricate new fins.

20231023_085602.jpg

20231023_085613.jpg

Did the 65/66 and 67 all use the same style of breather that featured the chrome “oil/oil” in two different directions ?
Code:
There were two different caps. The tall with the breather hose for California and the short for all the others. The CAP (Cleaner Air Package) was 66/67

I haven't looked at the 2 barrel covers close enough to compare the 2 but there's a good chance they are the same ones.
They are the same, I did this on a pair, didn't have the extra guard/heat shield.

Alan

The Commando 273 fins are glued onto the valve covers (not sure with what, but something like JB weld, which I don't think existed in 65) and can be (carefully) pried off and glued onto a set of two barrel valve covers. No need to fabricate new fins.

View attachment 1716157295

View attachment 1716157296
The only reason I’d like to mess with the idea of casting new ones is to have the ability to make another set later on. If it works well I might even consider selling the cast fins for others to use.

I don't know why I didn't measure the width. I thought I had a extra set in the garage but I must have sold them.

20231023_131447.jpg

20231023_131456.jpg

20231023_131508.jpg

20231023_131525.jpg

20231023_131538.jpg

It’s all good! I appreciate the close ups and measurements. Did you restore your covers yourself?
Leanne did them for me. Probably 10 years ago. With a little cleaning they would look like new.

-
Back