65 Cuda V8 #s...another question.

-

VALIANTresearch

Reaction score
Rookie question (thanks for all the help on my last purchase of a 1965).

1965 Barracuda 273 (2 barrel, I think).

Went to look at another one today.
Sitting a while, but V8, Auto / and evan an A/C car again.

LOOKS like the original set-up...
~I know I cannot see the #s on the DRIVER'S SIDE OF THE BLOCK.
They must be behind the manifold.

~There's supposed to be a # and a date code cast into the FRONT of the block, right UNDER the Driver's head gasket, I thought.

Wiped, wire brushed, etc. ...saw nothing.
Wiped it down to the paint on the block, and down about 2" from the head gasket line...???
Q=Any hints? Pictures would be a HUGE help.

Looks orig. All the A/C parts are still intact, drier, everything.

Q=Couldn't see a casting # on the intake manifold to use that to determine the application.
Q=I do have the # from the Driver's exhaust manifold, though.

Q=But couldn't the engine be switched to a 318 or something, and the original manifolds be reused? If so, that wouldn't pin it down necessarily.

Thanks in advance.

If it's a 65 it'll have an A on the front of the block right under the head on the driver side. Here is a picture of the numbers on the block of my 66... "B" stands for 1966, 273 is the displacement.. and the assembly date of 1-14. Hope this helps, Geof

Attachments

• 100_1730.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 304
You'll have to get the block casting number to be sure if it's a 273. The date code will give you the approximate year. The VIN is not stamped into the engine so there is really no way to tell if it's original to the car. The block casting number is right above the starter and the date code is cast into the block on the passenger side just to the rear of the motor mount.

Well, the stamping on ther front of the motor as pictured will also tell you the displacement of the motor. I have 273's, 318's and 340's and all of them show the displacement of the motor in the stamping. You will have to refer to the block casting for the actual casting date of the motor. Geof

Well, the stamping on ther front of the motor as pictured will also tell you the displacement of the motor. I have 273's, 318's and 340's and all of them show the displacement of the motor in the stamping. You will have to refer to the block casting for the actual casting date of the motor. Geof
If the block is original and unmolested, that's true. I seen many that were milled off, restamped, corroded to the point you couldn't read them, or a replacement block that has no stamped numbers. The block casting is more reliable for identifying the displacement.

Members here are great - THANKS, folks.

Will make another trip. At the selling price, I should just get it anyway...but everythink including the air cleaner looks right, I just wanted to double check.

Car is all original, has A/C even...guy just let it sit a few years.

Car has "zero" rust,
interior parts are all there to restore,
engine's complete and original (apparently)...etc..

Old guy's asking $2000..

I am a Chevy person, and I know the Cudas aren't worht a lot...but I just saw one on ebay full of rust in the South somewhere - asking $2500.. Dooesn't mean he'll GET that but...?

So the one here seems like a good $. Especially for a Western car, with some uncommon options.

If it's a 65 it'll have an A on the front of the block right under the head on the driver side. Here is a picture of the numbers on the block of my 66... "B" stands for 1966, 273 is the displacement.. and the assembly date of 1-14. Hope this helps, Geof

Whats a '64?

couldn't the engine be switched to a 318 or something, and the original manifolds be reused?

Sure can, I took my worn out 273 out of my car, and replaced it with a
318 that I rebuilt. :) I reused the 273 exhaust manifolds, and
the 273 Timing cover, water pump, alt brackets etc.

Looks like a 273 that somebody added a 4bbl to,
has much more torque, with 45 more cubic inches. 8)

Rookie question (thanks for all the help on my last purchase of a 1965).

1965 Barracuda 273 (2 barrel, I think).

Went to look at another one today.
Sitting a while, but V8, Auto / and evan an A/C car again.

LOOKS like the original set-up...
~I know I cannot see the #s on the DRIVER'S SIDE OF THE BLOCK.
They must be behind the manifold.

~There's supposed to be a # and a date code cast into the FRONT of the block, right UNDER the Driver's head gasket, I thought.

Wiped, wire brushed, etc. ...saw nothing.
Wiped it down to the paint on the block, and down about 2" from the head gasket line...???
Q=Any hints? Pictures would be a HUGE help.

Looks orig. All the A/C parts are still intact, drier, everything.

Q=Couldn't see a casting # on the intake manifold to use that to determine the application.
Q=I do have the # from the Driver's exhaust manifold, though.

Q=But couldn't the engine be switched to a 318 or something, and the original manifolds be reused? If so, that wouldn't pin it down necessarily.

Thanks in advance.

Sure can, I took my worn out 273 out of my car, and replaced it with a
318 that I rebuilt. :) I reused the 273 exhaust manifolds, and
the 273 Timing cover, water pump, alt brackets etc.

Looks like a 273 that somebody added a 4bbl to,
has much more torque, with 45 more cubic inches. 8)
yeah but wouldn't the intake manifold bolt heads be 9/16 on a 318? As opposed to 1/2 on the 273?

yeah but wouldn't the intake manifold bolt heads be 9/16 on a 318? As opposed to 1/2 on the 273?
The intake bolts are 1/2 (wrench size, 5/16" shaft size) on the '64 and '65 only. You could get a 2bbl or 4bbl version in '65 but only a 2bbl in '64. The '66-7 273 4bbl intake will bolt right onto an LA318.

-
Back