65 Dart 273 rough idle

-

severn

Reaction score
Hello A body forum!

I have a 65 Dart GT convertible with the 273 2brl carb.
My problem is a rough idle not bad but noticeable. I have checked the spark pug gaps, new carb,replaced the distributor and vacuum advance and timed the car.
dart runs really great, except at idle it sort of shakes a bit..
Any Idea's?:???:

Thanks!

i will be the first to say that a "new" carb, especially a 1 or 2 barrel, does not mean that it is set up correctly. the floats arent always set properly nor is the mixture. i would start right at the mixture screws.

you mean the air mixture screws at the bottom of the carb base, those have been checked and adjusted.

No Power brakes, I will recheck the points, but i thought of the timing chain, car has 65,000, how is that possible?

Do you know the history of the motor, like what cam is in it, or if the heads have been changed?

Fairly easy to check the timing chain stretch. Pop the distributor cap and watch the rotor. See how many degrees on the crank you must rotate the crank in reverse before the rotor moves. Of course, start at the TDC mark. If >10 deg, it is pretty worn and you might hear it slap the timing cover soon.

I suspect it is running lean, though it sounds like you were able to optimize the idle using the mixture screws. Signs of idling lean are that it tends to falter if you press the accelerator moderately. You may have to goose it to get an accel pump squirt to keep it from dying. I think another is that it runs better with much more timing advance, like >20 deg.

I wouldn't waste time fooling with points. Electronic ignition is much better and easy today. Consider the "ready to run" distributor for ~$45.

I do not know the history of the motor or cam in it, I do know i can burn rubber pretty easily..lol..I will check tomorrow about the timing chain...

pull the valvecovers off and see if you have any BENT pushrods ..
that is always a sign of a rough idleing and shaking .

Today I re-checked the points and re-set them, took the valve covers off and checked for bent push rods, none. I did spray sea foam in the rockers etc and let them sit..they were pretty cruddy..reassembled valve covers...i started the dart up and it ran alot better but still with a slight rough idle...the timing chain seems tight..Maybe the previous owner changed the cam? I do think the valve lifters need an adjustment can these be done cold? is there a diagram on A bodys for that?

Yeah, 65 needs the solid lifter valves adjusted.....013 intake .021 exhaust
66 but should be very close. valve lash: to get close to hot specs, add .004 when cold
valvelash.jpg

%24%28KGrHqN%2C%21ikE5esVbRFVBO%2CV%28%28t8oQ~~60_3.JPG

-
Back