65 Dart Exaust Manifold Removal

-

65 DartOwner

Reaction score
I just installed a 300 HP 318 to replace the 273. The driver side manifold has a crack. I have power steering and need to know what the trick is to remove the drivers side stock manifold from the car without pulling the motor. Any one have an easy way to get it out.lol

I have a 66 with PS that is not the problem. It has more to do with kick-down linkage on automatic. The outlet end just passes in the firewall indentation located between steering column and rear of head. The bell crank for kick-down likely needs to be removed from head to make room. Valve cover off too may help.

The end stud might also be a problem, since the manifold has limited distance to inner fender. Loosen motor mounts to shift engine slightly if more room is needed.

About manifold cracks:
The end bolts on manifold should have special washers, and tightened to specification. The manifold expands when heated, so the ends move out. Too tight on the bolts, may crack the manifold ears at bolt holes.

I looked at my 65 FSM and basically it says to remove the fasteners holding the manifold to the head as well as the 2 small braces and then remove the manifold. Other than lifting the motor up and tilting it a bit after removing the driver's side motor mount, removal of the steering column will give you all the room needed to remove the manifold.

As a last resort, a hand grenade wedged between the manifold and the block will usually break the manifold into smaller pieces that are easier to remove...

As a last resort, a hand grenade wedged between the manifold and the block will usually break the manifold into smaller pieces that are easier to remove...

I remember a guy telling that he "grenaded" his engine...now I understand how he did it???? LOL

treblig

Thanks for the tips. It must have had a crack before it went in but I have an xtra manifold. I think I'll get this one resurfaced before installing it and use a Remflex gasket.

-
Back