65 dart tranny upagrade.HELP

-

dentdelete

Reaction score
Ok guys, heres my problem. I have decided to upgrade the trans in my 65 dart gt. My donor trans ,( if no one tells me its a wrong choice),is a 904 out of a 76 dodge D100 pickup. Does anyone know of any issues I am going to have with the trans cross member, or will this be the first painless upgrade that I've done,( I'm not holding my breath,lol). There is no question as to whether or not I will upgrade, its a done deal, I would just like to have a little insight before I start.

65 transmissions are one year only, I believe they are cable operated. You will run into problems if you have an auto on the column and probably even the auto on the floor.

Should be a direct bolt in barring the shifter problem you might have that bb66cuda mentioned.

I'm sorry but I do not agree that a 727 is a must in this light car. There are many drag racers running 904's in 11 second and even faster cars. If it were a heavy B-body car with a 400+ hp engine things would be different but If your not running over 400 hp in your lightweight Dart the 904 will hold up just fine. Install a Trans-go TF-1 (heavy duty) or TF-2 (street/strip) shift improver kit in it and it will last a long time providing it's in good sound shape to begin with.

BTW: The older 904's used a different spline count torque converter so make sure and use a converter for the 76 in the 76 trans.

cable shift, rear pot coupling from tailshaft (instead of u joint at front yoke) are going to be your limitations. you will have to go with an aftermarket shifter if using the later tranny. these older transmissions also have 2 pumps, 1 in the front and 1 in the rear.

if you are even thinking about a decent street car, a 727 is a must...

Do you know the difference between the two?

A 904 for most cars is just as good, and in fact better for lots of applications. It's lighter and just as strong. Besides you can not fit a 727 into an early model without modifying the tunnel.

All info is noted. Just so everybody knows, I will be running a 904 due to the fact that I have got a great tranny guy and due to space limitations. I guess I need to clarify my question though. I do know the pros and cons of both 904s and 727s. I have run both in a lot of different projects over the years. My question is mostly about any problems I will have with the upgrade. I am going to use an aftermarket shifter and the driveshaft will be an upgrade also. I will use an aftermarker performance stall converter as well a larger tranny fluid pan and larger cooler. The shift kit and manual valve body will also be in there. Has anybody done this upgrade in their early dart and what were the specific changes or mods that needed to be done to make this work.
Sorry if my first question did not have enough info. Everyone who has responded to my questions has been very helpful. This is my first early dart and I just need some insight from those of you who have been down this road before me.

You can get an adapter cable from Imperial Services which allows you to keep your original shifter. They aren't exactly cheap, but neither is a GOOD aftermarket shifter. And your car will look original.

What engine are you using? The 67 and older engines had a smaller hole in the end of the crankshaft, then the 68 and newer engines. The later torque converter will not fit into the crank. Options:
1) early engine/ late trans, use early flexplate, and a special built converter, incororating the small pilot, and the late model (larger) input splines.
2) Early flexplate, early converter, and remove the front pump and input shaft and drums from the late trans, and install the same parts from the early trans.
3) Swap the crank for a late model crank.

You can stay with the eraly trans too and have it beefed up. John Cope does them al lthe time.

PS I have a 64 Dart and my 727 fits just fine. If you have a lot of power drive like a crazy man yes a 727 is the way to go!

I even run a 5 stack setup and a larger & stronger every part you can in my 727. But it is over kill for most uses.

Also note even a stock 340 and taxi slant 6s run 727, they take more abuse, but a 904 can be mmade failry tuff too! :headbang:

Yes and the crank is an issue too and unless you went late model during a rebuild or had the flange machined you need and early convertor and an early trans too. There are a lot of strong early 904's that have been built and it is cool to keep the buttons too.

-
Back