65 Dart Wagon Conversion to a Sedan Delivery

-
Originally Posted by 65 Dartman I bought the triple Weber manifold off of Australian eBay. There's no markings on it so I have no idea who made it (definitely not a Clifford lol!). The Webers are a matched set of Italian DCOE 45's. I'm going to try the triple SU set up first. I got the manifold from SlantSixDan and then sent it to Leanna so she could work her magic. SSDan turned me on to a SU guru in Canada so I ended up sending him 4 or 5 HIF6's of which he picked out the best 3, rebuilt them with all matching internals and set them up to use with a big six - similar to a Jag six. He said they should run quite well right out of the box with little or no tuning. We'll get to that point eventually!

by George H -Very neat!!

Won't be trying the triple SU set-up - a guy over at slant6.org made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the triple SU set-up. So it's gone to a good home. I still have the triple Webers and have purchased the FiTech fuel injection system so one will get a workout!

that should make you feel like your on the Chrysler assembly with a supply of new looking clean hardware coming out of the bin and onto the car. :D

Ah, one of my favorite cars! I had a 69 Charger back in the late 80s early 90s as my daily driver till a deer took it out! those refinish fasteners will make it easy and look right at the same time (thanks Ulf for sending me what's what on them!). I anticipate dropping the body just like the factory did!

Ah, one of my favorite cars! I had a 69 Charger back in the late 80s early 90s as my daily driver till a deer took it out! those refinish fasteners will make it easy and look right at the same time (thanks Ulf for sending me what's what on them!). I anticipate dropping the body just like the factory did!

I know that feeling. When it's time to assemble your car you will just be smiling!:) And at the same time it will look very good when car is painted, parts have new coat of paint and same parts have new finish. It will look like a well done restoration.
:burnout:

Hello Don,

In your last email, you mentioned your project thread, so I thought I would stop by. I am happy to hear you have the time to work on the wagon which you have told me about. All of these fun things to see on our forum. As you have told me in the past, another one rescued. I will stop back from time to time....I did not see your cool instrument panel....or did I miss it. Thanks for the great post. Jerry

Hello Don,
I did not see your cool instrument panel....or did I miss it. Thanks for the great post. Jerry

No, I haven't included it in my thread but have included it in another thread such as the custom dash thread.

2015-01-12-17-39-36-jpg.1714855671

I've finished with the metalwork to add the custom idiot lights.

2015-01-12-17-36-02-jpg.1714855672

I'm trying to finish the metal part of the dash to get it ready to sandblast.

View attachment 2015-01-12 17.39.36.jpg

View attachment 2015-01-12 17.36.02.jpg

Last edited:
No, I haven't included it in my thread but have included it in another thread such as the custom dash thread. I've finished with the metalwork to add the custom idiot lights. I'm trying to finish the metal part of the dash to get it ready to sandblast.

That will look awesome when in the car. You do some neat modifications on your build!

It's been awhile since I've updated this thread - not able to do much in my unheated work area over the winter! I did get a start on assembling the motor. It's a 65 block which I had decked 90 thou and overbored 30 over. I'm generally following one of Doug Dutra's assembly threads over at .org: Slant Six Forum, :: View topic - Twin #2 - SL6 Engine Assembly He recommended painting the block as the first step - which I did. The cam goes in next since the crank is out of the way - so it's now in place. It's the original 65 cam that I sent to Oregon Cams and had it re-ground to their 346 profile - 234/228 @ .050 with a lobe separation of 106 degrees.

The crank stayed standard on both mains and rods - I had a NOS set of standard bearings I bought years ago.

IMG_6157.JPG

am using a Cloyes double roller timing set I bought during a group buy over at .org
IMG_6158.JPG

The inside diameter of the crank gear is about 1/64 inch larger than the snout of the crank so Dutra says go heavy on sanding the crank gear, then heat it in the oven and install it. I used my Dremel to sand it (no hand sanding for me!), then bake at 400 degrees for an hour in the oven, it was done and slid right on.

IMG_6172.JPG

I was considering using this Aussie oil pump with remote filter but ended up decided to use the original oil pump since it was mated to the original cam which I had reground by Oregon Cams.

IMG_6147.JPG

Oil pan powder coated in Flag red - all powder coating done by our own Leanna.

IMG_6160.JPG

Distributor splash shield powder coated Ink Black. The alternator bracket is in Flag Red.
IMG_6162.JPG

This is my coil bracket which I sent out to Eric Manual for the correct cad plating on it. Still need to send the mounting bolts for the correct finish.

IMG_6163.JPG

I drilled and tapped my thermostat housing to accept the Dakota Digital water temperature sending unit. It is powder coated in Flag Red.
IMG_6165.JPG

This is my adapter to run both an oil pressure idiot light and the Dakota Digital oil pressure sending unit.
IMG_6164.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, the Longroof. Without question, this will be a great finished project. Wish I had all
of these skills. I will follow as you carry on.

I wish there was but it's been too hot to work on the wagon (or too cold in the winter). I am doing some work on the dash, trying to make a final decision on either using the non-Mopar Door Ajar and Fasten Seat Belt idiot lights in the dash (as seen in Post 56) or using factory Mopar underdash Fasten Seat Belt and Door Ajar idiot lights

I wish there was but it's been too hot to work on the wagon (or too cold in the winter). I am doing some work on the dash, trying to make a final decision on either using the non-Mopar Door Ajar and Fasten Seat Belt idiot lights in the dash (as seen in Post 56) or using factory Mopar underdash Fasten Seat Belt and Door Ajar idiot lights

It's all good but I was sort of looking forward to seeing the non-Mopar indicators in that dash.

It's all good but I was sort of looking forward to seeing the non-Mopar indicators in that dash.

I thought I had a Mopar Door Ajar light but guess not so looks like it will be the original plan. Now I have to find a suitable spot for my Rear Window Switch and Driver/Passenger heated seat switches. A friend said move the radio to a housing under the AC vent box and add the window and heat seat switches where the radio would be (already cut out for the radio, which would mean some metal repair grrrr!)

I thought I had a Mopar Door Ajar light but guess not so looks like it will be the original plan. Now I have to find a suitable spot for my Rear Window Switch and Driver/Passenger heated seat switches. A friend said move the radio to a housing under the AC vent box and add the window and heat seat switches where the radio would be (already cut out for the radio, which would mean some metal repair grrrr!)
Would it be possible adding a small console under the dash just for the switches!

Hey Don. Following your thread 8 )
It's always too hot or too cold, isn't it? I am having the same problem. We suffer 30°C right now in Switzerland. Too hot during the day and too tired in the evening...haha...

Love how you're combining old and modern things!

As I mentioned in Post 61 I've been working on the dash. I had initially placed the non-Mopar idiot lights just to the right of the instrument cluster but found that there's just not enough room on the factory metal frame or in the instrument cluster for my non-Mopar idiot lights, my Power Rear Window switch, my pair of heated Seat switches and my AM/FM radio that I had converted to 4 speaker stereo.
image.jpeg
Ulf suggested building a console under the dash (but the AC vent box will go there) and friend FWDLKFrank suggested buy one of those pre-made radio housings and install it under the AC vents leaving plenty of room in the dash for all my doodads. What I came up with is a 1 inch tall wedge-shaped mini-console under the dash that doesn't interfere with the AC vent box. 2 of my non-Mopar idiot lights (Fasten Seat Belts and Door Ajar) and both of my heated seat switches would easily fit there. I did cut out under the dash so there would be plenty of room for the switches and wiring.
image.jpeg
After cutting out the metal where the idiot lights USED to be, a quick patch gave a perfect spot for the Power Rear Window switch. I still wanted an oil pressure idiot light as I figure a bright red light popping on in case of oil pressure failure catches the eye quickly should one not see the oil pressure gauge. I solved this problem by using a different non-Mopar idiot light that I had bought some time ago. The perfect place for the oil light was where the factory high beam indicator used to be on the 66 Barracuda dash. As I am using a Mirada floor shift steering column with key, I needed to fill the Barracuda ignition switch hole with something. I solved that problem by installing the cigarette lighter in the hole. I have a space to the right of the radio that I need to fill to make that area look symetrical with the window switch and radio. I will probably add another cigarette lighter there and add one of those 12 volt caps from a late model vehicle to the lighter receptacle on the instrument cluster. Everything fits and doesn't look (IMO) too bad.
image.jpeg

You can also see the large cut-out on top of the dash. This is for my left dash speaker from my 4 speaker stereo radio.

Last edited:
That is an awesome work Don! I must admit that your electrical knowledge is amazing. You doing a great job mixing new and old stufg.

That dash will have people scratching their heads for awhile trying to figure out what it's from. Nice job.

You might wanna add a roof mounted console around the rear view mirror as the SE cars had back in the day!! I think it was only the idiot lamps there.

You might wanna add a roof mounted console around the rear view mirror as the SE cars had back in the day!! I think it was only the idiot lamps there.

You might be thinking of the mid-70's SE's that had those little courtesy lights. I am contemplating a major project that does require a small roof mounted plate that does have a courtesy light; however, until I KNOW what I have in mind will work, it's between me and the wagon right now.

FWDLKFrank gave me this Chrysler auto dimming rear view mirror for sharing some of my swap meet space at the Nationals. It should be no problem physically mounting this mirror and I would like to use it. I need to get the plug with harness from him so there might be some more mods to my underdash harness to make this work.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
You're right Don! I have a friend that owned a 70 Challenger SE with the overhead console. Looked like a flightdeck!!

You're right Don! I have a friend that owned a 70 Challenger SE with the overhead console. Looked like a flightdeck!!
IIRC those Challenger SE overhead consoles had a low fuel warning light and maybe a fasten seat belt or a door ajar warning light. I have 2 of the low fuel modules; maybe I can incorporate it in the 65 Barracuda!

Looking good, Don!
I would also like one of those dimming mirrors. It would be cool to have one on my '66 when our 2010 Audi doesn't have one!

-
Back