'65 GT 273 Conversion

-
Yes they are....5x4".....small bolt wheels. I wanted skinny fronts without converting car to big bolt, and besides getting a set of early slots, there's not a lot of nostalgic 60's options out there. I'm very happy with the look of them on this car.

The ones with the more even finish were aluminized. It is tough for me to get my head around the idea that Mopar would make them using aluminized or galvanized steel using the same part number. Maybe it was a supplier issue. IDK.

My 66 GT Dart Charger had an aluminized resonator. It did not have the ridge running along the bottom of the resonator extending onto the chrome tip. IIRC the '65 273-4s were criticized for being too loud. The muffler used was very much like the Dynomax Ultraflow. My '66 had a reduced restriction reverse flow muffler. It was pretty lame compared to a friend's
'65 Formula S.

A number of people on FABO recommended I weld my exhaust system together instead of using clamps. Be very careful welding anything made of galvanized steel. It could make you sick. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Interestingly enough, both of the 66s (GT, 273-4; 270, 273-2) I restored had only one welded area on the exhaust system. That was where the left and right cylinder bank pipes met. The rest of the system's pipes were joined by clamps.

After this show/cruise season is over in New York, the next step in the conversion is to notch the rear pan (using exact measurements taken from a '65 gt) and install a factory resonator. Me and my brother picked up this NOS unit at Carlisle this past weekend. It's an ultra-rare, un-date coded piece (other factory numbers are stamped on top side just like the NOS units on ebay, just not a date code). I was told by a reputable early-A guru at Carlisle that it is a factory built direct replacement for dealerships in the 60's. I've only seen one other one with that blotchy galvanized finish, and it's the NOS example accurate LTD has on their website for comparison with their reproduction. If I cannot find a nice used one before then, this resonator is going on this car in the winter. If anyone has any info on why my resonator finish looks so much different than the NOS ones on ebay, i'd love to hear it!

I have a NOS resonator with the same finish. I cannot remember if it has a date code on it. I sold a nice used 67 date coded resonator at last year's Nationals. I might be putting the one I have now on my 65 Barrachda. It currently has a really nice true dual exhaust that's really tucked up to the chassis on it now.

the car looks great!! nice!!
here's a short story of resonators. wayyyyy back in the early 90's if found as guy that had a huge barn up in N mO. the walls were shelves 20 foot high, it was full of , what were replacement mufflers. I sported the resonators, and bought them all. 25-30 of them. I sold them off. wish I had kept on for me car now! LOL I don't remember anything about seams or numbers, been awhile.

Here is a Formula S ad. I never noticed the black resonator.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 168
I found this '66-'67 HiPo muffler on Ebay....same finish as my NOS resonator....very cool!

Attachments

• muffler.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 144
I am doing the same. I have a 65 GT with a 6cyl. I had a 65 GT charger as a kid, and I am going to build one ---same as you. Do I need to change the K-frame when I convert from 6 to 273? Thank you. Your car looks great--nice work. PM me at Old Dart 66.

I am doing the same. I have a 65 GT with a 6cyl. I had a 65 GT charger as a kid, and I am going to build one ---same as you. Do I need to change the K-frame when I convert from 6 to 273? Thank you. Your car looks great--nice work. PM me at Old Dart 66.

No. Just the mounts need to be changed. 6 and V8 k members are the same in early A's.

-
Back