65 headlight bezel anodize hell

-
If I'd got paid by the hour, Laysons would be cheaper.....Easy-off original 15 minutes X 2, scrub em down with a 00 steel wool between coats, 500 grit to get all remaining coating off, then 1200 wet. Follow with white compound polish. 2nd one was harder but took me less time as I wasnt learning. Probably 3 hours for the set but youll be sore the next morning.

Watch that the Turtle wax didn't get where you are going to paint. Looks great, thats what I did with mine before I got NOS.

So you are just going to wax the parts ? To keep from oxidizing? Curious.

what it took me to clean and polish, Its not that big a deal if I had to do it again in 2 years...well see how the wax holds up. My car is always in the garage. Throw a little WD40 on them for storage....

I use caustic soda to strip mine.When you put it in,it will fizz but only soak it seconds or so.wash it with water then sos pad then polish.Dont soak it to long as it will eat it to nothing.

caustic soda IS lye, right? I agree, 15 minutes is about as long as I would soak at a time. First one fizzed good, second one just sat there..? strange, same pro strength Easy-Off.

Turned out nice. I sent mine to a guy to be restored a long time ago. It was in the late 90's before the internet had gotten so big, so he might have a website now, but I can't remember who it was. It wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than any that I could find NOS (which Layson's had a monopoly on at the time) and Layson's hadn't started doing their repros yet, and they turned out looking like new.

-
Back