65 valiant torsion bar help!!

-

bamacuda

Reaction score
I am trying to put n the torsion bars in my valiant (65) and have 892R and (893L I think, will check) that were new. I have it through the rear anchor, stretched the boot on (that was a nightmare) and cant get the t-bar to seat in the LCA.
How do I know if these are right for my car?
How do i know if the hex adjuster on the LCA is in the right position to insert?
Does it matter which end is toward the front if they are new?
Any advice is nice!

This is preventing all progress on my car, thanks, david:-D

To line up the hex in the control arm you may have to back that adjuster all the out and rotate the control arm hex some to get it to line up with the bar hex.

Thanks! Others feel free to chime in, too! After lunch, I am going to be back under there. Hope i can get it!!

:cheers::cheers:\\:D/=D>=D>=D> Congrat's bamacuda :cheers:
abodyjoe jumps in again for us 8)

numbers go toward the rear, odd numbers on the driver side. Put a big pipe wrench on the LCA socket and crank down to line up the hex. If you cant seem to get them in, place a jack under the trans mount and put a slight load on it, this sometimes cures body flex that misaligns the sockets. If you have it all apart, you can tap the LCA's onto the T bars and then slide the threaded end into the K member. The hard part is getting them out.

I am trying to put n the torsion bars in my valiant (65) and have 892R and (893L I think, will check) that were new. I have it through the rear anchor, stretched the boot on (that was a nightmare) and cant get the t-bar to seat in the LCA.
How do I know if these are right for my car?
How do i know if the hex adjuster on the LCA is in the right position to insert?
Does it matter which end is toward the front if they are new?
Any advice is nice!

This is preventing all progress on my car, thanks, david:-D

A-Body bars are just under 36" B&E are 41" I think. Hex are the same.

All A-body T-bars have the same 1.125" hex.

Take a good look at WHY the bars won't go in. Which way does the lower arm need to rotate? As mentioned before, make sure the adjusters are backed of completely, but do not remove them. If you still need to get the lower arms to come down more, try removing the cone shaped upper arm bump stop. This will buy you another inch or so of droop. If that isn't enough, you'll need to separate the lower ball joint from the arm (this is why some prefer to install the bars before the spindles when rebuilding a front end).

-
Back