66 273 engine roller rocker

-

sabre.mill

Reaction score
i have aquired a 1966 273 roller rocker , solid lifter engine , has a 2 barrel on it , don't know much about it , Just kinda interrested in some info on it and if there is anyone interrested in it or needing one . its not seized up , pm me with ?'s and info thanks and let me know

Welcome to FABO Sabre. What you have is probably a 185 hp. 2 barrell motor with iron adjustable rocker arms. The stock cams were solid lifter cams and needed adjustable rockers for the proper valve clearance. The compression is around 8.5:1 and the compression is made by the pistons and not the cylinder heads. These are good running engines and respond to 4 barrell intake/carbs and slightly larger cams. In a early Dart/ Valiant, or Barracuda they will get you 15-20 mpg on the highway depending on which trans and rear gear. toolmanmike

You sure it has roller rockers? Kind of an overkill on a 2bbl engine......

Sometimes, a replacement rocker is a hard thing to get. Roller rockers are collecting dust on shelves though pricey by compare, you can look at it like a free 15 extra HP. LOL! Who knows, maybe the "X" owner had them lyin around?

here are a couple of pics thanks

Attachments

• 66 elcoronet 3 001.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 675
  • 66 elcoronet 3 002.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 647
still for sale , $150 takes it , engine and tranny

Looks like it has the automatic transmission- right? Where in Indiana are you?

Nice little V8- I've run my '67 since 1974. Back in the day of 55 mph speed limits, I got 26 mpg on a long road trip.

still for sale , will be in indy for monster mopar weekend , let me know thanks

If it's gotta go then you'll probably have to scrap it.
The solid lifter valvetrain with the adjustable rockers is worth a bit and so is the V8 kick-down linkage.
Then I'm sure there's otehr stuff someone on FABO might need like the front cover and water pump stuff, maybe the valve covers too.

still for sale !! $150 takes it obo , engine and tranny

I'm sure if you list the adjustable rockers and shafts by themselves, someone will buy them. I see them being sold all the time.

Yea i put a set of them rockers last year on ebay, Got a 164 dollars for them like 26 bids,I had listed here first for a 100 but had no intrest

OK !! since no one is wanting the whole engine and tranny as a whole package , lets start parting it out !! i guess, what do u need ? off this engine and tranny ? i will be in indy the first weekend in march for the swap meet !!

I know how it is to store parts for someday! But really someone in IN will get a wild hair and want to build a 273. If you were near DFW I would be on that right now. If you can store the block and lower end, someone will want it! FABO guys are sometimes slow to pull the trigger, try craigslist and see what happens. My 2 cents.

-
Back