66' 273 Knocking/Ticking

-

gastona

Reaction score
The 273 in my Valiant has less than 1000 miles on the rebuild (I purchased the car after the rebuild), but the engine has a slight ticking to it. I thought it could be an exhaust leak I installed new gaskets (which helped) but it did not resolve the issue. A mechanic told me that its the rocker arms, and that they need to be replaced, but the engine has the older style rocker arms, can these be adjusted, and if so how hard is it? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!!

It has solid lifters originally and will have a slight tick. Pick up an old motors manual from ebay or somewhere and you will be amazed at how easy they are to work on.

Did this "mechanic" pull the valve covers off? I've owned several 273s, I have never seen the rocker arms go bad even with high miles... Sounds like you just need a valve adjustment to me (which is typical after a rebuild has been run in...) Check 'em after you get your book, and like chryslerfat said they are easy to work on... good luck with it and welcome to FABO

I had a odd little knock in start and a then a tick in run that were both the same fault.
I took all the spark plugs out so turned it over at a higher rpm to pinpoint where the problem was. cracked flex plate.

... A mechanic told me that its the rocker arms, and that they need to be replaced...

I agree with the others, this is a simple valve lash adjustment.

Funny how many 'modern' mechanic's assume things about these old cars that they know nothing about. I had one tell me once that there was no way my 273 came stock with mechanical solid lifter cam and that ALL dodge small blocks were hydraulic. Same genius also told me they didnt make forged cranks for small blocks. Ah well.

Motor's manuals are a great reference, but are harder to find. I got mine some years back from an old amish guy. Waterdamaged, but I carefully opened & separated the pages for Dodge and Plymouth.

Bishko Books re-prints the '66 Dodge Technical Service Manual. Fairly decent price. http://www.autobooksbishko.com/search.cgi?year=1966&make=Dodge&category=All look for [eb354R]

There are companies that put them on CD, but I like the physical presence and pages to flip thru when I need it.

Did this "mechanic" pull the valve covers off? I've owned several 273s, I have never seen the rocker arms go bad even with high miles... Sounds like you just need a valve adjustment to me (which is typical after a rebuild has been run in...) Check 'em after you get your book, and like chryslerfat said they are easy to work on... good luck with it and welcome to FABO
X2.....I'd also add....when the valve lash is adjusted properly, you should still have a little valve train noise, otherwise, they're probably adjusted too tight. I like doing them HOT, and engine running. Kinda hard on feeler gauges but seems more accurate to me. You'll need to do it at a real slow idle or you'll have oil splashing around. I made a cut-off set of valve covers to keep the drain-back oil from dripping over the side of the head. I know, it's an aquired taste but I do the slant 6's the same way. Just be carefull holding the 3/8 wrench while turning the adjuster!

with the valves adjusted properly (on a hot motor) there should almost be no valve tick, but more of a chatter as a tick usually denotes one bad rocker clearance. Sometimes you can have them all adjusted but youll find one that is moving laterally on the shaft making a noise, you can shim that one.

Also, regarding lateral movement; if the rockers and shaft were grooved from wear you may never get them to be quiet. Even if you re-assemble the rocker arms on the shaft in the same order, you'll never get them in the exact same place. They'll jump sideways and tick. Even hydraulic cams suffer from this. Unless the rockers are really badly worn, just replace the shafts and you'll be fine.

Obviously try an adjustment first.

Hello,

I was wondering if you can assist me with reputable engine sellers. I need an engine from the USA. I am based in Melbourne Australia, and with the high dollar can afford to buy an export motor.

Preferably a fully rebuilt 273 ci LA engine or if these are rare, as they are in Australia, advise on a 360/5.9L engine that would suit the same mounts as the 273 A Frame Chrysle Valiant VE model. The car has the originl engine but I need a replacement. If someone is willing to swap a rebuilt 360 I will trade them the tired but daily driving 273. Suit Dart etc.
Please pass on my details. Your help would be appreciated.

Buddy

Thank you all for your advice, I got the old manual and I am going to atempt to adjust the valves this weekend. Glad to be on FABO!!!

-
Back