'66 Barracuda front end rebuild

-
IMG_2773.jpg
So I got the upper ball joint socket, turns out it was barely tight at all, probably could have gotten it off with a large crescent wrench.

Anyway, on to the last. Got everything out on this side except the last UCA cam bolt. It turns but sounds like it's being gripped by the rubber bushings and can't seem to get it to move except turn. Won't budge. I tried a little heat but it caught on fire so put an end to that.

Any ideas?

So success. Finally burned the entire bushing out, but the sleeve was rusted in there. Banged on it enough that it finally gave. Good grief what PITA.

Now that everything is out, I cleaned up the UCA overnight and looking at the bushings, there is no way they are coming out in either direction. What's the deal? Mine look different from others I've seen.
IMG_2777.jpg

So I cobbled together this cheap tool to remove the UCA bushings. I wouldn't say they came out without a fight, but without the impact wrench on my setup I'm confident these wouldn't have come out. Short an actual press not sure how else this could have been achieved. But I am making progress, but slowly.

IMG_2778.jpg
57653715716__1340ED1D-02A7-40F2-BC44-7D8D454466B2.JPG

So I'm pretty sure this is one of the main reasons my front end prevented me from driving over 35 mph safely. The LCA pivot bushing rubber might as well have been gone. I'm sure the other side will be just as bad or worse. Was able to get the sleeve on this pivot off using the chisel method (4 equidistant slits along it's length), slid right off. Now the outer sleeve is another story. Spent an hour on that and done for the day. Off to HF to see if they have something to help.
IMG_2780.jpg

In between finishing my taxes and watching the Masters I was able to get some more work done on my front end.

Got the tie rod in. Bushings and ball joint installed in upper control arm. Finally got my lca stiffening plates and welded in the passenger side. Slowly getting there.

IMG_2785.jpg
IMG_2787.jpg

A little work with the flap disk and the stiffening plate is starting to look like it belongs. Most of my welding limitations have been erased.

IMG_2788.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back