66 Cuda Neutral safety switch

-

LP1966

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a single terminal NSS for a 66 Cuda 273 2bbl 904 trans, but I haven't found one yet.
Is it possible to use a 3 terminal NSS, connect only the middle terminal, and seal the unused outer terminals?
Thanks

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a single terminal NSS for a 66 Cuda 273 2bbl 904 trans, but I haven't found one yet.
Is it possible to use a 3 terminal NSS, connect only the middle terminal, and seal the unused outer terminals?
Thanks

Check with W.I.T. transmission parts. They might have it. To the best of my knowledge, you can't use the 3 prong switch. If W.I.T. doesn't have it let me know. I can get a new one for you. I will need to know the overall length of the switch as there are two types. Don't know if the price I was given is good for you or not, but the price I was given was around $20.00 plus shipping from here will do it.

3 prong switch wont work unless someone has found a way to make it work. As is, it will screw into the trans too far. Then the rooster comb in the trans will break the switch.

Thanks for the info. Transman, I have attached a photo of the NSS that came out of the car. The PN on the switch is "2770660 Mopar C.P.E."
Let me know if you have one for sale.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7071.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 403
right here just went in search of one myself. very hard bugger to find. NObody local had one - all obsolete. But I did find one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400287319805?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
I don't think that is the correct switch. I do know the coverage years is not what is listed in that ad. and the picture is not correct for 64-65.

You can contact this e-bay seller, I bet he would have the correct switch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torqueflite...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item56558d9870

If not I might have one, but would have to look.

I don't think that is the correct switch. I do know the coverage years is not what is listed in that ad. and the picture is not correct for 64-65.

You can contact this e-bay seller, I bet he would have the correct switch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torqueflite...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item56558d9870

If not I might have one, but would have to look.

I dont know when they changed exactly but I think that switch would work. It looks like the one removed. An earlier switch had 2 wires attached with screws, smaller threads, etc..
The later switch ( 69 maybe ? ) had longer threads and less exposed metal button.

I just looked at the 66 parts manual. The part number 2586 994 for all lines are updated to switch 3004087. This covers dart, Valiant, Belevdere, cornett, fury, polara, chrysler, Imperial in 66.

here is another (same part number) with an exploding picture.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-t...2495537-2586994-3004087-1965-68-/330895738188

The first one was a lot cheaper though.

64 manual 1704 283
65 manual 2495 537
67 manual 2586 994

Thanks for the info. Transman, I have attached a photo of the NSS that came out of the car. The PN on the switch is "2770660 Mopar C.P.E."
Let me know if you have one for sale.
Thanks

It looks like you might have located one. If it's not right let me know.

transman

I might have an extra one! Looks like my 65 unit! Does it need to be nos or would a used one do it?

Rocky, my concern is that the switch that came out of my Cuda has the PN 2770660 embossed on it. Does your Mopar catalog list that PN?
I appreciate the help.

This one http://www.ebay.com/itm/400287319805?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
looks like the picture of mine, but mine has the PN 2770660 embossed on the part.
Can anyone tell me if this PN is the same as the 2586 994 or 3004087?
They sure look like the same part.

I only worked for a year at a Chrysler dealership, so I'm not sure that any numbers stamped or cast into a part meant anything. I know that when I worked for a GM dealer, numbers cast or stamped on parts meant nothing to us. When we looked up the number in the parts book, they never, as I recall, matched numbers cast into or stamped on any part. Main items such as blocks, heads, intake manifolds/exhaust manifolds had numbers cast into them, but they were reference numbers, and these numbers made sense at the factory, but in the parts books, seldom were mentioned.

The part number on my Thermoquad shows 6453S, and I'll bet that if you look in a parts book, that's not the part number, but rather a reference number.

negative, that number does not show in the part cat's for the years 1964 through 1973.
I just looked at the one we took off of the 68 'cuda (leaking) it was marked on the flange 457 and when I dropped the crush washer back it also has 2770660 on it. So with that said 3004087 will work I never looked at the part numbers but the part.
I know the early 55?-64 single switches were all metal in the middle. The 65-8 were plastic around a metal pin. So we just went with it.

I got the 3004087 on ebay.

Shout outs to Transman, Rocky, and all you guys for your help.

Rewire is almost done...I expect to crank it up next week. Jeez I bought this car last summer and only drove it twice until I had a small wiring fire at the firewall connector. For me it'll be like a new car - until I find out what else need attention.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• pic00.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 265
I'm going to resurrect this thread. I'm putting together a 66 dart gt convertible originally a 273 car. Now, it has a 318 and 904 trans out of a 77 volare. I had the trans rebuilt and it has a three prong nss. Do I need to change that for a single prong switch for a 66?
Thanks.
Jim

I'm going to resurrect this thread. I'm putting together a 66 dart gt convertible originally a 273 car. Now, it has a 318 and 904 trans out of a 77 volare. I had the trans rebuilt and it has a three prong nss. Do I need to change that for a single prong switch for a 66?
Thanks.
Jim

No. the later model trans has a 3 post dual function switch and correct rooster comb inside for it. All you'll need to do is attach your signal wire for neutral safety to the center post of that 3 post switch. If you should ever have your reverse lamp switch fail ( located inside the cabin on the shifter ) you could route those 2 wires out of the cabin and down to the later model dual function switch.
Happy moparing

-
Back