66 Dart 270 Convertible

-

66reddart

Reaction score
I';m new here so hope I don't rain on someone else's parade.

1) My Dart was a Florida car and the dash pad is cracked and really crappy.

I picked up a used in fair condition pad at MoParFest last week, so now how in blazes do I replace it???? There are 5 (bolts?) on the back but are VERY difficult to access. Suggestions please.

2) how difficult is it to replace the top? Can someone with some ability do it or should I go to an upholstry shop?

Ok folks - that a start. All suggestions would be appreciated.
66reddarft

Welcome to FABO! There are many early A bodies here and a bunch of 66 Dart's
and Canadian Valiants including converts. I have owned my 66 for 6 years but have never had the dash pad off so I can't tell you how. But I'll bet someone here will help. toolmanmike

I just looked in the service manual and didn't find anything about how to remove the dash pad. Sorry. There was a small chapter about convertible tops though. You might have to get a hold of a copy of a manual. I found mine on E-bay. Got any photos of the ol' girl? we'd love to see. Check out this thread.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=54003 If you see a vert you can sent the owner a personal message for some info. Mike

I';m new here so hope I don't rain on someone else's parade.

1) My Dart was a Florida car and the dash pad is cracked and really crappy.

I picked up a used in fair condition pad at MoParFest last week, so now how in blazes do I replace it???? There are 5 (bolts?) on the back but are VERY difficult to access. Suggestions please.

2) how difficult is it to replace the top? Can someone with some ability do it or should I go to an upholstry shop?

66reddarft

Welcome to FABO
I have a 66 dart convertible.
I had to take out the dash pad on the dart by taking out
the instrument cluster, radio heater bezel and poped out a little the heater control 's (no radio in it then or now ) and glove box liner. I was able to reach them all. not easily but I was able to reach them. Of course I then noticed rust in the cowl and thing went downhill from there, I'm going to redo the whole car to get things right.

as for doing the top I'm doing mine (with a lot of help from a professional telling me what to do when I get that far). And I've seen Members on here do their own that look AWESOME!
everyone that I've talked to said 1st was to TAKE plenty of Picture's and measurements of the back window screw locations and distance from the back bow and the back edge of the car (ie back of car to last bow and that bow to the middle one).
if you have a top on it now and it's just rotted or worn out your ahead of the game(I wasn't that lucky on one car and the other top was put back on by someone that did not take any pictures or measure anything by the looks of it). if not you can use the measurements in the service manual as a general starting point. he said that if you just rip the top off without any measurements you WILL have one of the worst looking tops ever put on, He showed me some pictures of other peoples attempts to do that very thing, their before (sort of like the top that's on the second dart I just purchased) and his after pic's were awesome from a top looking like a 100+year old full of wrinkles to a smooth slick new top. It's all in taking your time and (1)measure, (2)take pictures.
repeat steps 1 & 2 as many times as needed to get all angles and measurements . there is a convertible top installation guide on the web, I think it's convertible top specialty's web site or a link on it, but I'm not to sure about that and can't swear it's that particular site , I do know that you can google it and it's show up in their search
hope this helps
Kurt

Welcome to FABO...ya old gizzard LOL.It,s Scott from the Comfort Inn and MoparFest.Glad to see you finally joined.Now removing the dash pad on your car,you,ll need to remove the speedo bezel,glove box liner,maybe the ashtray holder too.Your best to have a young lad with long arms,small hands to get a small ratchet with atleast a 4 inch extension and 1/4 inch socket to reach up in there to get at the small nuts.You could probably do it yourself if you have the time and a dry place to do it.It,s fairly easy one you get going on it.Good luck and post some pics of your new Red rocket!

P.S Maybe you could ask one of the Mopar owners at your local car show to help or direct you to someone that could help.

Welcome! Looks like you have good info on how the do the dash pad. I would only add that you should do everything else it might need at the same time. Such as: dash bulbs, tighten all the gauge nuts, lube the speedo cable, change the wiper post seals, heater core, wiring work, etc. Pretty much everything you can think of while the dash is apart. If it needs rust repair, windshield, or gasket, nows the time to do that too.

Good points Mark.Maybe a winter project?Also Mark might have the convertible trim your needing.Good luck.

If you click on a members name,you can sent a private message.Just sayin..

Thanks prettyblue - got the pad in with a lot of pain - on the floor and up under with a 3/16" deep socket, extentions, and a lot of difficulty.

I do need also to take off the speedo cluster, and have it re-built, and check the lights and get a better ground strap in plkace as my lights are really dim. no fun driving at night.

Took her to Peterborough this past weekend, and went well. Usin g some oil but that OK. Just led all the traffic.

Bill

Does anyone know of a source for the dash pad filler pieces that go at each end of the dash pad?

66reddarft

Hey, Im a '66 Dart Vert owner too, but RHD :)

From this
P1030318.jpg

and this
P1030321.jpg

to this
P1030354.jpg

P1030356.jpg

P1030402-1.jpg

and finally...

P1030433.jpg

P1030612.jpg

Hope this helps :)