66 Dart Dash issues!

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but,my dash is shot!Can I take it off and leave it off,paint the metal?I,ve seen other early-A,s without,maybe 65,s Cuda/Valiant/Dart?Can this be done?Thanks for any input.

Yes but there may be holes in the dash from the mounting studs on the pad.

Well sure you can do that. It may look odd though. If it's just the dash pad that's wasted buy a dash cap from Herb's restoration. They're about $30.00 and slip right on. I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I hope it helps

Well sure you can do that. It may look odd though. If it's just the dash pad that's wasted buy a dash cap from Herb's restoration. They're about $30.00 and slip right on. I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I hope it helps
Thanks dragnknights,but ofcourse Herb,s doesn,t make one for 66 Dart!My Luck!

Try "justdashes" I think they have a listing for 66's Mike

I have thought about welding all the holes shut and putting hotrod gauges and switches in but I am not sure how that would look in a cuda. I like the way like fstfish's dash looks with aftermarket gauges in the stock holes. Too bad my 66 cuda insert wouldn't work I have an extra you can have.

My old '65 GTO was a rally dash, pad delete car. Take the pad off, strip the old material off there, sand blast it and paint the metal core wrinkle black. Looks good, and will cover the holes.

No Pad, but dusty 8)

65 Vart 003.jpg

This might be a stupid question but,my dash is shot!Can I take it off and leave it off,paint the metal?I,ve seen other early-A,s without,maybe 65,s Cuda/Valiant/Dart?Can this be done?Thanks for any input.

For a race car, where the driver is using a 4-point harness, The simplest is to remove the pad, fill pad stud holes, paint. It'll look clean.

If you are going to go to put the car on the street, here's my suggestion. I had the same problem with the 73; no pad, just the frame. I took the dash pad frame off the dash, glued a dash cap to it. While it was still clamped together, I half filled it with Great Stuff, a spray foam insulation. Let it completely dry before trying anything else! You can cut or scrape any of the stuff that comes through the slots in dash pad frame. Remove clamps and install. Looks good and is safe. If you want to change from black color, recommend SEM adhesion promoter followed by one of their plastic/vinyl colors. (All available in rattle cans.):snakeman:

My old '65 GTO was a rally dash, pad delete car. Take the pad off, strip the old material off there, sand blast it and paint the metal core wrinkle black. Looks good, and will cover the holes.
hey those "stone gaurds" are they just the small piece that covers front edge of wheel well lip NOT all the way over like my65GT if these r what u look 4 lmk ive a set Bert

Go with all steel,but do a nice job.I am mopar all the way but love the all steel dashes in those early falcons.Good luck. Greg.

-
Back