66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-
Ok, I put some thread lock on the carb studs and bent them (relatively) straight. Now the carb fits ...

And I finished re-assembling the AVS. Still a little confused about the choke linkage, though.

And I found this little bugger laying in a plastic bag after tightening all the cover bolts ...

IMG_8099.JPG

It goes in here, under the accelerator squirter.

IMG_8100.JPG

... I hope ...

Last edited:
Yes it is the accelerator pump check valve, just use that not a ball also.

I just found a guy who has tons of '66 Dart parts, including both front fenders and a hood! I'll prolly be taking a trip this weekend. I need to pick up the front clip I bought and his location is only an hour east of that location, not much of a detour. And I'll already be towing a trailer anyway!

Could be fun!

Score! I just laid my mittens on two fenders, a complete heater setup, a complete instrument cluster, a '67 accelerator pedal with cable and intake mounting bracket and two starter cores.
I spent a little more than I intended to (I know, shocker!), but I got more than i planned for and I can part out some stuff if need be.
Pics later.

Phew. At home and had dinner, the trailer returned after a 14-hours day on the road.

Here's my haul:

The front clip will rest outside for a little while. I doubt it will go anywhere.
IMG_8118.JPG

Here's what fell from it during loading and transport ...

IMG_8120.JPG

The two fenders. They're far from perfect but these are hard to come by, as most of you probably know. I can practice on them, I suppose. I got them fairly cheap, I think. $110 each.

IMG_8121.JPG

Some patching done ...

IMG_8125.JPG

Complete, working heater box w/ core, all cables and door without broken hinges - and lock!

IMG_8122.JPG

The complete control assembly, too!

IMG_8124.JPG

And the grand prize, the complete instrument panel. All instruments are there with moving needles. Not sure everything works but I'm missing temp- and alt- gauges completely. It has the voltage regulator, too, and the circuit board looks really nice.

IMG_8126.JPG

We started talking and the guy pulled out a '67 and up torpedo mounted gas pedal. With cable mounting bracket, like I said.

IMG_8127.JPG

And I releived him of two starter cores he was going to scrap anyway. We'll see if I rebuild them. I kinda like doing it even if it's a lot of work for no money. But they were free, so ...

IMG_8129.JPG
IMG_8131.JPG

Phew. At home and had dinner, the trailer returned after a 14-hours day on the road.

Here's my haul:

The front clip will rest outside for a little while. I doubt it will go anywhere.
View attachment 1715036685

Here's what fell from it during loading and transport ...

View attachment 1715036686

The two fenders. They're far from perfect but these are hard to come by, as most of you probably know. I can practice on them, I suppose. I got them fairly cheap, I think. $110 each.

View attachment 1715036687

Some patching done ...

View attachment 1715036691

Complete, working heater box w/ core, all cables and door without broken hinges - and lock!

View attachment 1715036688

The complete control assembly, too!

View attachment 1715036690

And the grand prize, the complete instrument panel. All instruments are there with moving needles. Not sure everything works but I'm missing temp- and alt- gauges completely. It has the voltage regulator, too, and the circuit board looks really nice.

View attachment 1715036692

We started talking and the guy pulled out a '67 and up torpedo mounted gas pedal. With cable mounting bracket, like I said.

View attachment 1715036693

And I releived him of two starter cores he was going to scrap anyway. We'll see if I rebuild them. I kinda like doing it even if it's a lot of work for no money. But they were free, so ...

View attachment 1715036694 View attachment 1715036695

Nice core...

I started on another basement project to make better use of the floor space. In short, I'm moving my workbench from a room 20 feet from the garage to another room much closer to the car. Some might remember the door hole I made in a wall of the garage last summer. The room behind that new door is kind of small so I decided - after discussing the matter with my wife - to move the wall a little. Like two feet.

Whet we also decided to do was to tear down another wall, creating a larger open space where we can park the bicycles. That way they won't take up precious garage space. What was really stored between the two walls I tore down was ... junk. But I've moved it out of there and into what is currently my work area, the one where I removed a sauna and put up a lot of shelves last year. So that room is really full out storage now but with a nice work bench for tinkering with other stuff.

Anyway, here's what I started with (this is looking in from the garage, my car is just to the right of me):

IMG_8134.JPG

Thru the open brown door on the left you can see my previous work area:

IMG_8136.JPG

All this crap needed to go outside before work could begin (well, not the rust sculpture on the left, it was never in there to begin with):

IMG_8137.JPG

All clear. Crowbar out.

IMG_8138.JPG

This being an old house, I found a squatter who met her maker. Not too pleasant since I wasn't wearing any breathing protection.

IMG_8139.JPG
IMG_8140.JPG

There. All tore down.

IMG_8142.JPG

The green door at the end is new and behind it is the trunk of my car. I'll be putting up a new wall right where the first window ends. That'll give me some more room and the door will swing open all the way, getting it out of the way if I don't need to have it closed.

IMG_8143.JPG

I've already cleared out all the debris and will be going shopping for material. I will be using metal joists (?) and drywall. I prefer that over wood in the basement to eliminate mold and fungus. There wasn't much in what I tore out, but better safe than sorry. We've had the garage flooded a few times.

I'll probably put a 3-phase outlet in the work room while I'm at it. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to afford a proper drill press and a beefy air compressor.

Last edited:
So here's my new shack:

IMG_8174.JPG

This is where I'll put my work bench:

IMG_8173.JPG

I'll swing the door around so it opens out into the garage instead. It made sense to have it this way before I decided to move the wall in two feet. Now it will only steal space.

We had a cold Easter holiday here in Sweden with a little snowfall even in the southwest where I live. Middle parts had a proper blizzard with 4-5 inches of snow. With a lot of folks already on summer tires, there were incidents ...

I spent the holidays in the summer house, prepping the mower for the season and changed fuel filters (It's a Toro Groundsmaster 323-D with a 72" deck) in the cold wind. Now it's ready for action.

Yesterday was the last day off and I managed to get some time in on the front end. Stripped off some of the "loose" parts and cut one of the inner fenders out. It's in good shape by the looks of it. I will see better once it's blasted. I did find one patch I didn't notice when I looked at it at Ulf's place. Looks like a solid repair, though.
IMG_8200.JPG
IMG_8201.JPG

I hope I will be able to get the rest off this week and then ship it off to be blasted and zink coated.

I keep on keeping on with my angle grinder. I've been staring at my sculpture a lot, trying to figure out how to slice it. I need to make it smaller so it fits in my basement somewhere.

I've decided I want to use the frame rails and the inside piece right in front of the doors on both sides. My car has been molested to house speakers, both there and in the doors.

I don't think I will want to drill out the spot welds in my car, though, I think I will simply cut out a piece of the panel and butt weld the new piece in. Or flange the inside of the car to make the welding easier. At any rate, I want to cut as much as possible out of the scrap I bought.

I doubt I will actually cut the trans cross member out. I thought it could be more or less the same amount of work but it seems I was mistaken ...

Anyway, here is what's left right now. I'll use the firewall and the other scrap pieces as practice material. Should come in handy. Haven't welded at all in many years and I need to learn MIG from the ground.

IMG_8210.JPG

I've heard of a guy up the street who has an old car (his wife stopped by one day last summer and told me so) and last weekend he stopped by as I was grinding on the scrap outside. Turns out he has a '62 Caddy tucked away in his garage. He's been into US cars for decades and looked at my camshaft that I was worried that I'd busted when I started up my engine. He thinks it's fine. :thumbsup:

It turns out my neighbor has a good welder - both a MIG and a TIG - and when I asked if he would rent it out to me, he looked a little uncomfortable and said yes. I think he won't charge me. That's how we Swedes are.

The asymmetry of the spot welds made me smile. This is one side of the frame rail in front of the shock tower:
IMG_8208.JPG

... and this is the other:

IMG_8209.JPG

Six welds on one side and twelve on the other. One guy working on each side, I guess ... :rolleyes:

I keep on keeping on with my angle grinder. I've been staring at my sculpture a lot, trying to figure out how to slice it. I need to make it smaller so it fits in my basement somewhere.

I've decided I want to use the frame rails and the inside piece right in front of the doors on both sides. My car has been molested to house speakers, both there and in the doors.

I don't think I will want to drill out the spot welds in my car, though, I think I will simply cut out a piece of the panel and butt weld the new piece in. Or flange the inside of the car to make the welding easier. At any rate, I want to cut as much as possible out of the scrap I bought.

I doubt I will actually cut the trans cross member out. I thought it could be more or less the same amount of work but it seems I was mistaken ...

Anyway, here is what's left right now. I'll use the firewall and the other scrap pieces as practice material. Should come in handy. Haven't welded at all in many years and I need to learn MIG from the ground.

View attachment 1715040884

I've heard of a guy up the street who has an old car (his wife stopped by one day last summer and told me so) and last weekend he stopped by as I was grinding on the scrap outside. Turns out he has a '62 Caddy tucked away in his garage. He's been into US cars for decades and looked at my camshaft that I was worried that I'd busted when I started up my engine. He thinks it's fine. :thumbsup:

It turns out my neighbor has a good welder - both a MIG and a TIG - and when I asked if he would rent it out to me, he looked a little uncomfortable and said yes. I think he won't charge me. That's how we Swedes are.

The asymmetry of the spot welds made me smile. This is one side of the frame rail in front of the shock tower:
View attachment 1715040885

... and this is the other:

View attachment 1715040886

Six welds on one side and twelve on the other. One guy working on each side, I guess ... :rolleyes:

When I worked at a factory making automotive seats for GM, Chrysler, and Ford the spot welders were foot operated and they were easy to hit a few extra times when you were handling a panel. Newbies had a tendency to add extra welds until they got comfortable with the machines.

Last night I finished removing the floor and started drilling out the spot welds for the inner panel in front of the door on the driver's side (no idea what would be the proper name for that panel). The driver's side floor has been replaced and it was pretty rusty underneath.

IMG_8215.JPG

It was a lot more fun drilling our the spot welds in the thinner gauge sheet metal w/o rust protection. I figure I might as well remove the panels without cutting them up when it's this easy. That way I have complete freedom to decide how to place the cuts on the car.

IMG_8216.JPG

Well that was unexpected. I just scored a 250 amp HF start TIG welder for $500!

IMG_8217.JPG

It is virtually brand new (NOS) but 8 years old. I first thought it was AC/DC but I was mistaken (the Italians are THE WORST when it comes to online prescence and since this is about 8 yrs old, there is zero info to be found).

Now all I need is an Argon flask and I can start making stainless headers!

Thanks! Yes, I'm really happy. As far as I can tell, one of these in the current design is about $3,400 ...

Holy cow! If It was hardly used, it's a big score! I guess Stainless steel headers are in your future!

How can I have missed this project thread from a fellow Swede!? Very nice reading and great work!

How can I have missed this project thread from a fellow Swede!? Very nice reading and great work!
Well, hello! Welcome! I'm off to check out your build right away!

Also, take a look at what I spent my monthly allowance on today, everyone!
A 5 liter bottle of Argon with built-in flow control valve, some filler rod, a connector for the ground cable, a 200 amp stick welding handle, a cheapo spot weld cutting tool, some welding magnets, welding clamps (?), some thinner cutting disks, some practice steel tubing and a pair of (not quite) welding gloves. If you're gonna go cheap, why not do it on safety ...

IMG_8222.JPG

-
Back