66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-
My daughter and I went up to Stockholm to pick it up over the weekend. It was fun listening to it sloshing around in the back of the car with every curve and braking.

We actually went up to visit my dad on Friday night and then went from there (3 hrs) to Stockholm and back on Saturday. Just said hi to my friend ho helped me lift the thing in the car and did a little shopping while we were there. Then we went back to my dad and spent another night there.

A very nice road trip and a BIG bonus to enjoy the company of my lovely daughter. She'll be fifteen in a few weeks and enjoys a road trip almost as much as I do.

I use the converter app on my phone quite a bit - especially when telling someone who doesn't use the US measurement system what the weight or length is in metric

I use the converter app on my phone quite a bit - especially when telling someone who doesn't use the US measurement system what the weight or length is in metric
It's easy on the computer, I mostly use the address bar in the chrome browser. Incredibly smart feature.

To be honest, I almost never need to convert units other than here on FABO. Currencies sometimes.

Went to the local DIY car wash. Spent SEK 100 on tokens ($12) and it was exactly as many as I needed. :thumbsup:

Turned that cruddy, awful POS into a pretty decent-looking piece of machinery. Looking forward to getting it together! It won't happen today, though, as today is the big birthdaypartyprepping day.

Before:

IMG_9503.JPG

Hey folks, it's been a while! I haven't been completely idle. I've tried having a machine shop make new conn rods for the compressor but that would've been about twice the cost of a new compressor block. I e-mailed the Swedish re-seller and they recommended a new block but after I talked to them on the phone, they said they might have some parts or broken blocks laying around. We'll see where that goes.

This is the carnage inside:

IMG_9497 (1).JPG

And I've had my ported heads drilled and reamed for new valve guides! I only did the exhaust side. The guy said the intake ones were good and I take his word for it. He's very experienced and has worked with STCC cars, Swedish Touring Car Championship. Alfa Romeo engines. There were a bunch of american iron heads on a shelf and some tine four-valve heads, too.

This is where they are now:

IMG_9703.JPG

I'm a little worried - and was warned by the shop owner - that the very sharpest edges around the reamed holes might make the casting crack. I'm thinking I should grind them down.

Any thoughts?

No personal thoughts about it but I would listen to the machine shop owner since he has the experience and do whatever he recommends it or let him do it!

No personal thoughts about it but I would listen to the machine shop owner since he has the experience and do whatever he recommends it let him do it!
My thoughts exactly. And some of the edges are razor sharp. I'm pretty sure the risk of cracks is close to 100%.

What kind of compressor and part number is it. I may have at least 1 rod you can have if the PN is the same or similar enough that it will work. Had 1 rod lock up. Other one is good. I bought a new compressor pump. Was saving this bad one for parts. Get me a pump part number, and a rod part number.

What kind of compressor and part number is it. I may have at least 1 rod you can have if the PN is the same or similar enough that it will work. Had 1 rod lock up. Other one is good. I bought a new compressor pump. Was saving this bad one for parts. Get me a pump part number, and a rod part number.
That would be just too much luck.

This is an ABAC B3700, a 4hp unit. Big end ID is 37 mm, little end 15. C-C roughly 105 mm. The number 3610190 is cast into it.

Here's a pic of the rod:

IMG_9549.JPG

I wonder how this would cross reference to a Husky 5.5 Hp pump. I will pull the PN of my pump, and try to cross ref rods on the internet, and get back to you before i pull it apart.

If you cannot find one, theres a bunch of rods on evilbay. I tried plugging in your rod part number. No bueno on the number, but it looks as though they gave em with many lengths, and large and small end diameters. You may be able to find one there in the proper length, and just have the holes reamed up to size. They are cheap enough. Averaging about $8-$12 to buy even if you have to have a machine shop ream it up to a finished size. I can say honestly with the pic, mine really doesnt look close. You will need to get one with the same throw length as yours.

If you cannot find one, theres a bunch of rods on evilbay. I tried plugging in your rod part number. No bueno on the number, but it looks as though they gave em with many lengths, and large and small end diameters. You may be able to find one there in the proper length, and just have the holes reamed up to size. They are cheap enough. Averaging about $8-$12 to buy even if you have to have a machine shop ream it up to a finished size. I can say honestly with the pic, mine really doesnt look close. You will need to get one with the same throw length as yours.
Well, duh. Ebay. I didn't even think of that. Thanks, Matt!

I always check evilbay, and other sources. Wife says i am the king of cheap. Must be because i fix everything and bargain hunt.

Heres a funny for you. The remote control for our cable TV box broke, so figure out whats wrong with it, i went to electronics supply, and soldeted in a new capacitor to fix. About $1.. then months later i'm cruising thru my local salvage yard, and see a bunch of cable TV stuff dumped in front of a jumk car. There was an identical remote to ours all full of water. It rained the night before. I popped it apart, layed the pieces up on the dash to dry it out, and brought it home for free. Wife says, that aint gonna work. I put new batteries in it, and start surfing thru channels with it. Now i got 2 remotes if one goes bad. Oh and a replacement remote new from the cable company is $75.

Hey folks,

It seems I didn't update this thread with some of the new development. I've ordered a valve cutter kit from India:

CHRYSLER LA HEADS VALVE SEAT RESTORATION KIT 3 ANGLE CUT PERFORMANCE HEAD | eBay

The guy put together the kit for me, I hope I got the diameters right. I figure they are conical though, so I expect them to work over a pretty wide range of diameters. Heck, I might even be able to do a 3-angle job on my normal heads?

I've been trying to find the right guides, seals and intake valves but it's super frustrating so I've started a thread on the topic. Feel free to add any input you might have:

I'm putting 2.02" valves in 360 heads ...

Oh, and I found a conn rod for my compressor on eBay, Matt! It's ordered and shipped to Ray. I bought a gasket kit too. Soon I'll be putting the thing back together! then I'll be able to continue the porting work. Good times!

It's been a little while but I'm still at it!

I've made a significant improvement to my machine collection. I bought an old, solid bench model drill press. It's ASEA brand, Swedish iron. I still haven't gotten my paws on it, as most everything, it's located in the Stockholm area but a good friend of mine has hauled it back to his basement for pickup in January. Here it is in the trunk of my buddy's car:

25589644_1135721593231035_1451292347_n.jpg

What is even more exciting is that my valve seat cutting tools arrived from India last night! They look really nice, all ground surfaces. The interface between the main shaft and the pilot is not 100% so there was quite a bit of runout due to it, about 0.7 mm. I took some lathe imperfections off and it's a lot better, roughly 0.1 mm. I'll put them both up in a lathe to get a good, concentric conical fit before starting the work but I couldn't keep myself from having a light go on one of the intake seats. Feels good and I think the teeth are all cutting. The pilot shaft fits REALLY snug in the intake guides. I feel good about this!

Believe it or not, but the guy seems to have ground the included broaches (3/8" and 8 mm) himself. Not sure I trust them fully and I can't measure them.

IMG_9806.JPG
IMG_9811.JPG
IMG_9810.JPG
IMG_9814.JPG

Merry Christmas. We celebrate on the 25th. My 5 year old and i have been marking off the calendar every morning. He has shaken a couple wrapped boxes and said can i have my Legos now. Lol

Got it today, Ray!

Man, those fans sure fit snugly!

IMG_9889.JPG

You did a great job packing as per usual. The welding sleeves were a big surprise, I am very grateful, thank you! And the calendar looks great, @Ddaddy!

IMG_9892.JPG

Now I have the conn rod to repair my compressor block. I will run two 4hp block on my 7.5 hp motor into the 73 gallon tank I have. Should be enough!

-
Back