66 Dart Owners thread

-
Picked up a 1966 Dart and in the later stages of putting in a '94 360 Magnum with the EFI followed by an A500. Running an 8 3/4 rear end with 3.23 gears. Using spitfire headers with dual exhaust and an x pipe. '74 Dart discs on the front. Have -almost - everything done - completely new interior - everything all nice and shiny - just waiting on the wiring. My 17 yo son has it at the vo-tech and they're trying to figure it out. Anyone have some advice on how/what to connect in the wiring. Dash is out of a 1966 Barracuda - lots more chrome but same basic wiring as the Dart. I have all the wiring out of the donor vehicle etc.. Just need some advice to get this on the road!!!

g'day guys
i have a 66 dart gt covertible, slant 6 tbar auto white ,black trim/top and torque thrust wheels , very nice to drive had it on the road now for about 3years , its been in australia for around 5years ...get you a couple of pics asap

mr ad

Picked up a 1966 Dart and in the later stages of putting in a '94 360 Magnum with the EFI followed by an A500. Running an 8 3/4 rear end with 3.23 gears. Using spitfire headers with dual exhaust and an x pipe. '74 Dart discs on the front. Have -almost - everything done - completely new interior - everything all nice and shiny - just waiting on the wiring. My 17 yo son has it at the vo-tech and they're trying to figure it out. Anyone have some advice on how/what to connect in the wiring. Dash is out of a 1966 Barracuda - lots more chrome but same basic wiring as the Dart. I have all the wiring out of the donor vehicle etc.. Just need some advice to get this on the road!!!

Wow, sounds like a nice ride. Wiring isn't one of my strong points so I hope someone will chime in. Got any pics? That EFI motor andOD trans sounds interesting. tmm
g'day guys
i have a 66 dart gt covertible, slant 6 tbar auto white ,black trim/top and torque thrust wheels , very nice to drive had it on the road now for about 3years , its been in australia for around 5years ...get you a couple of pics asap

mr ad
Welcome to FABO! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your drop top. Are those Torque Thrust wheels small bolt pattern or did you convert to big bolt? tmm

Dang Scott, I missed this post. Boy, you're 66 reallyturned out nice. And
it sounds like it's running strong too. It has come a long way. tmm

Yep ToolMan,It's been a long road to get to where I am with the car.I now just have to get the new Ron Francis fusebox and wire harness in then I can go all electrical(waterpump,fans etc..):)

Anyone know where I can get the front headlight bezels? Mine are pretty beat up, and either I get NOS, Repop etc, or I have to straighten mine as much as possible, throw some mud on them, then paint them black.

Any thoughts?

Also if anyone has replaced the factory bench seat with buckets, here is a question. I got the PROCAR low back buckets, but the only brackets available are for the 67-72, which are quite a bit different, but I have them anyway, and I am going to be making spacers to make up the difference for room needed to the floor board. Any have a picture or measurements where to drill the holes to line the seats up? The factory bench only had 2 holes on each end, these need 4 holes per seat.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2012-06-02_15-52-27_124.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 786
Narsky, The headlight bezel thing is a problem we 66 Dart (and 66 Canadian Valiant) owners have battled forever. No one re pops them. NOS ones will fetch $500+ each and they are few and far between. If you have a pair of fairly straight ones they can be reconditioned for $100-$150 each. If you like the look, a straightened pair that was painted would be ok. Cudachick may be able to powdercoat them to look like chrome as well. I have a fairly nice pair that I am sending to Iverson Automotive to be refinished. I talked to them at Farmington over the weekend. I have also talked to a machine shop that builds patterns and molds. $10,000 each would buy a die to stamp them out. You would have to sell a thousand at $100 each to pay for the dies alone. I had a lengthy discussion with Layson and he agreed that the cost to produce them outweighed the demand. Overseas manufacturers don't like to run much less than 10,000 parts. Good luck. tmm

I think your math is off a bit....the decimal point anyway. If the dies are $10,000 ea., then you'd have to sell 100 at $100 ea. to pay for them. If you install buckets in place of a bench, make sure you add a reinforcement plate under the inner seat track or you're likely to crack the floor pan.

I think your math is off a bit....the decimal point anyway. If the dies are $10,000 ea., then you'd have to sell 100 at $100 ea. to pay for them. If you install buckets in place of a bench, make sure you add a reinforcement plate under the inner seat track or you're likely to crack the floor pan.

Where's my calculator? You're right. One little zero makes a big difference. LOL

tmm

Hey, just wanted to join in the '66 love. Got my little work in progress...

dart.jpg

IMG_20120630_191227.jpg

Welcome to the group. Looks like you've got a real solid piece to start with. Keep us posted with your progress. tmm

Yeah that does look solid it must be great to live in a place where the cars are all solid time capsules. Welcome!! More pics please!

Thanks for the advice. I straightened the bezels out, used some mud to fill it, and painted them black. I think this should work with the paint scheme. Also the advice about reinforcing the floor pan is great, I didn't even think of that. Just need to get everything measured out correctly to drill the new holes. Anyone know what those hole locations might be??

Hopefully the car goes in primer this weekend.

That stance is outstanding & exactly what I'd like for my 65 dart conv. What are the sizes, sbp, BS & so on and have you done anything else to the suspension or body to make this installation possible? Also, how does it ride/drive? Any rubs?
Great look and beautiful dart.
Thanks

That's a nice black 66 you've got there! tmm

Wow! Nice dark dark green 66 you have there. Must be the fog in the backround. lol What color on the fender tag. LL1? It looks great. What color would you like to paint it? tmm

Wow! Nice dark dark green 66 you have there. Must be the fog in the backround. lol What color on the fender tag. LL1? It looks great. What color would you like to paint it? tmm

Ill have to look into the factory color. But i definitely want to respray the factory color, maybe with a little sparkle in it? Im positive thats the factory color. Just don't know if its Dark Turquoise or Dark Green. Lol :)

Ill have to look into the factory color. But i definitely want to respray the factory color, maybe with a little sparkle in it? Im positive thats the factory color. Just don't know if its Dark Turquoise or Dark Green. Lol :)
That's a sweet 66. My first car was almost identical. Dark green 66 Dart GT and I was like 16 when I got it. Here I am 30 years later and back in a Green Dart but I miss my '66.

That looks way too dark for LL1 my car is a LL1 car it can be seen where the ring for the blower motor was.
00027.jpg

-
Back