66 Dart Radiator Hose

-

BenA

Reaction score
I am looking for a replacement radiator hose for my 1966 Dart with the 273 motor. It has factory AC. Rockauto and other retailers suggest Gates 20168 but when I try this hose in kinks in the middle after making the connection. Any suggestions to other hoses? Or how I could prevent this one from kinking?

Does your thermostat housing point streight up or sort of forward?

Post photos of what you have tried

If it points up try this hose for 67 dart with 273.

Rad inlet is off center to the drivers side and thermostat housing points up.

Photos of hoses are upside down from the way it is intalled.

Screenshot_20221221-194112.png

Screenshot_20221221-193911.png

Last edited:
I am looking for a replacement radiator hose for my 1966 Dart with the 273 motor. It has factory AC. Rockauto and other retailers suggest Gates 20168 but when I try this hose in kinks in the middle after making the connection. Any suggestions to other hoses? Or how I could prevent this one from kinking?
Every one ever put on my Dart has been cut to fit on the length.

Mine points to the side. Attached are the pictures of what used to be on it.

90DC6AD7-EE30-42FB-AFB3-BFE58F1EA08B.jpeg

There is a non AC version for 66 also, seems a bit diferent

Is this a straight up thermostat housing? Continental 60661 is the right one for that with AC problem is they are out of stock everywhere.
9AD56408-5C6D-4815-B8AC-E4E22FF4BD6B.jpeg

Jim

There is a non AC version for 66 also, seems a bit diferent

Yes the non AC comes straight over the the top right where the AC compressor is... Continental 60662 I believe... (or that is the lower).... @lemondana can rattle off the numbers off the top of his head.

Thanks, Jim! Actually the 64-66 Goodyear/Continental numbers haven't been available for many years, here they are, just in case someone finds a cache of old Goodyear hoses. Lower-60614, upper with AC-60613, upper without AC-60612. As Jim has shown the 67-69 A body hoses work very nicely. From what I remember, the 64-66 thermostat housing angles forward, You have to use the later straight housing for the 67-69 upper hoses to work correctly. Here are the 67-69 numbers, Lower-60662, upper with AC-60661, and upper without AC-60666. All of these numbers are Goodyear and later Continental numbers. When Continental bought Goodyear Engineered Products, they just used all of the existing Goodyear part numbers. Another tidbit, the bigblock A Bodies used the 60662 hose for the upper hose and the regular B and C Body big block lower hose. Any questions-fire away?
But then again, Jim can make anything look PERFECT!

A lot of these hoses are cut to fit. So, if it kinks in the middle-you just need to shorten it a bit.

I have a clockable one, I think its off a Chevy but it seems to bolt up.

Just to be complete that Gates one..sort of... works. The Continental 60661 is the exact fit. It really needs to come off the thermostat housing turn 90 degrees towards the fender then the second bend needs to be compound. The Gates turns 90 to head to the radiator but the Continental turns 90 AND does a drop down and then an upturn about 4" later. That is what gets it cleanly under the AC muffler. You can see that subtle bend in my photo. I started with the Gates but like the OP was not happy with the fit around the AC lines. @lemondana actually works in the plant that developed and made the Continental (old Goodyear) Chrysler replacement hoses and told me about the 60661. I totally hit eBay at the right time and found one about 6 months ago. That one fits perfectly in every aspect.

I have never seen this thermostat housing on an A body, angles over to the left. The only place I have seen this t-stat housing is on early bigblocks. But then again-I haven't seen it all.
Standard equipment on a/c cars on 273s.

-
Back