66 Formula S engine color

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
I have heard that the correct color is red. However my motor that was standard bore and appears to have never been apart before was more orange than red. Everything on it even the bell housing had a much more of a orange color than the red Mopar paint I used to repaint it. My 66 is an early model don't know if that matters.

Just thought I would throw that out there and see if anyone else had any thoughts on the engine color.

It should be red.

But here is the problem.......

If you took every 66 engine that was panted red and lined them up they wouldn't all be the same red.
The paint was mixed in bulk batches, each batch could and would be slightly different.

I good example of how this works today is a Toyota. The gold used on something like a Camry has one paint code but PPG has 14 different mixing formulas.

It should be red.

But here is the problem.......

If you took every 66 engine that was panted red and lined them up they wouldn't all be the same red.
The paint was mixed in bulk batches, each batch could and would be slightly different.

I good example of how this works today is a Toyota. The gold used on something like a Camry has one paint code but PPG has 14 different mixing formulas.

What I know of International Harvester red is the closest color. Thats what I have been told here. I have a 65 Charger engine so it should be the same.

Dupli-Color, DE1632, Chrysler Red, is what I use.

AutoZone

Dupli-Color, DE1632, Chrysler Red, is what I use.

AutoZone

Thats what I used too. it matches the mopar red, and it also matches the red on the air cleaner, BUT, the original color was the darker. IH Red is the closest to the original color. If you can find the actual tractor paint, International Brand, it is right on.

At one point, someone posted the color mix if you wanted to custom mix it. But not finding it in search.

Resurrecting an old thread.

I'm trying to order some single stage urethane paint for my 1965 engine.

There are two different paint codes for International Harvester red:

#50:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?ditzler=70019

and #2150:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cgi?paintx=1966%7CInternational%20Harvester%7CHarvester%20Red%7C10088

50 is much darker than 2150.

Others say to use Chrysler E5 which is 2136 in PPG/Ditzler
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cgi?ppg=2136

The Chrysler E5 seems to split the difference between IH50 and IH2150. Anyone have any advice or opinions?

The 2150 is what we used in the 70's & 80's. It was a current color & could be bought in spray bombs at any parts store. The 50 was an old color then, & was not readily available.

My 66 FS had a red 273 motor. My guess is that heat and age turn it more of an orange over time. I will second the recommendation of IH red. As close as it gets.

The 2150 is what we used in the 70's & 80's. It was a current color & could be bought in spray bombs at any parts store. The 50 was an old color then, & was not readily available.
Thread from way back.

Agreed. The IH 2150 was the color. Anyone found it in the high temp ceramic paint form lately? Don't think I've seen it for years.

Last 273 I painted, I coated it with the duplicolor 2132 and top coated it with an expensive can of mopar performance red. Was the same color but the mopar paint had a slightly different sheen to it.

-
Back