67/68/69 cuda dilemma

-
Yep. Got to get that 8.8 reassembled and under the back. I went with a 5° down angle on my 67 8.75 rear. Thinking maybe only 3° down angle needed on Pat's 8.8, though I may go 5° anyways since he may end up with something more potent than a mild 318 eventually.

Wheel #1 in epoxy primer with some rustoleum gloss black on the side and back. Needed to do this before it gets flash rust on it. I figure I will do one a day. Blast, primer, and rustoleum. I bought a gallon of MEK at Lowes. Its the only thing that will clean this **** out of my paint gun. This ones done for the time being.

20190919_164448.jpg

20190919_165527.jpg

20190920_063905.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the tall rattle cans of rustoleum project gloss black. Usually this stuff stays sticky as heck for days. This is why I was initially only going to use it on the back and side only. Maybe people complained to em about it, but I put 2 coats on the side, and on the back about 4pm today. The shine is actually pretty decent, with some minor specks of dust in it which I dont care about since the sides and back are unseen, but the big surprise is that this was dry by 6pm. I mean not like it's been on there for weeks dry, but decently dry that I can pick the wheel up and set it inside on some cardboard. I did spray it in the shade on a 96° day. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I may attempt to spray the face side with rustoleum gloss black as well after i do a light scuff on it with 400 grit to make sure its smooth. Rustoleum gloss black tends to get a slight matte finish to it when it's thoroughly dry and been on there a bit. That's kinda what I am looking for. I am sure these wheels baking in the 100° heat inside my shop will take care of that.

Last edited:
I bought the tall rattle cans of rustoleum project gloss black. Usually this stuff stays sticky as heck for days. This is why I was initially only going to use it on the back and side only. Maybe people complained to em about it, but I put 2 coats on the side, and on the back about 4pm today. The shine is actually pretty decent, with some minor specks of dust in it which I dont care about since the sides and back are unseen, but the big surprise is that this was dry by 6pm. I mean not like it's been on there for weeks dry, but decently dry that I can pick the wheel up and set it inside on some cardboard. I did spray it in the shade on a 96° day. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I may attempt to spray the front with rustoleum gloss black as well after i do a light scuff on it with 400 grit to make sure its smooth. Rustoleum gloss black tends to get a slight matte finish to it when it's thoroughly dry and been on there a bit. That's kinda what I am looking for. I am sure these wheels baking in the 100° heat inside my shop will take care of that.

Not bad at all, can't tell it's a spray can paint job.
I think our high today was 76 with mid to low 50's tonight. Weekend is supposed to be low 80's. Really hoping I can get some heavy metal moved around this weekend.

Close up you can see it's a rattle can job. Trick w rustoleum is to keep moving and try to keep the whole surface evenly wet so it flows out and doesnt dry line. These rims were dipped in paint when new, so it was easier for the factory to get inside all the spots.

Now that its actually "cooling down" into the low to mid 90s I can start working on getting **** done out there. Working during the day in 108° -110° weather sucks. It's like living in a roasting pan. When you spend 8-10 hours a day in that ****, you tend to not want to go play with cars in a metal shop building. May nix filling in the smaller holes with weld. I am seriously considering countersinking them a little on the front, filling them with JB weld and sanding them flat though before I paint the face side. May try that on the 5th bent one that I am not going to use, and see how that looks.

Last edited:
Now that its actually "cooling down" into the low to mid 90s I can start working on getting **** done out there. Working during the day in 108° -110° weather sucks. It's like living in a roasting pan. When you spend 8-10 hours a day in that ****, you tend to not want to go play with cars in a metal shop building. May nix filling in the smaller holes with weld. I am seriously considering countersinking them a little on the front, filling them with JB weld and sanding them flat though before I paint the face side. May try that on the 5th bent one that I am not going to use, and see how that looks.

I was wondering if you had decided to leave the holes since you had blasted and painted one, or seeing how it looked painted before deciding.

Wheel number 2 goes in the blast cabinet and will get primered along with side and back painted tomorrow afternoon.

Well rim #2 is blasted, primered w epoxy primer, and back n side sprayed with rustoleum high gloss black. Stuff dried to handling consistency in a few hours. Coated really nice. I really think they changed their paint formulation. Still going to use a professional mix and shoot black enamel paint on the face side of all 4 of these though. Doing one rim per day. Will take the next one to work on monday.

2 more crusty ones on the stack left. One on the bottom has a wobble in it. Since I got em from a salvage yard, I had em spun up on a balancer to see which ones out of the 5 were straight. For $13 each with me having to remove em at the junkyard only one was bad, I really cant complain about one being bent since it still only comes out to $16.25 per wheel. If sonny wants something with a little more bling later on, he can go buy what he wants. I figure black rims, wide blackwall's, and chrome lug nuts will give it a 69 drag pack look.

20190921_122121.jpg

20190921_141957.jpg

20190921_152344.jpg

20190921_114755.jpg

Last edited:
Getting closer to wheel mounting. Need to spray some rustoleum gloss black on the last 2. Then I need to sand the face sides, fix any minor defects to make em smooth, and paint em gloss black. At least the sandblasting and epoxy primer is done

20190924_182853.jpg

Last edited:
Finished getting black rustoleum on the last 2 rims. Need to sand the front nice and smooth so I can apply some automotive grade gloss black to them

20191003_194359.jpg

Last edited:
First 2 with final sanding and 3 coats of gloss black polyurethane enamel sprayed on them. Will be sanding and spraying the second 2 this weekend.

20191004_175621.jpg

20191004_184408.jpg

20191004_184411.jpg

And this showed up in the mail from badlilred79. Thanks Mike, it looks great. I already got the air cleaner that goes with it from a swap meet in Dallas. Now granted the car is gonna be a 318, but a mild hopped up 318, with an A500, and an 8.8 with 3.73s and 25" tires, so it should run like a like a hopped up 340. I doubt anybody's gonna look at the block numbers at a local show lol.

20191004_191014.jpg

Last edited:
Got 2 of em mounted and balanced today. Turned out great. Short stems, balancing weights on the back side. 225/60R15 does fill up the wheel well nicely. Of course no engine in there yet gives it the straight axle gasser look. Not that theres anything wrong with that. I can't wait to get the xploder 8.8 under the back and put the rears on. Then I will do a side shot and see what it's really gonna look like. Some people love the patina look. To me, primer is finer.

20191005_204126.jpg

20191005_204112.jpg

Just picked this up. 92 A500 / 42RH trans, with wiring harness, and slip yoke. I knocked apart the driveshaft and stuck the slip yoke back into the trans, i dewired the VSS wires, and 4 wires for the O2 sensor that are serviced in the trans harness, plugged it back in. Gonna let it slumber until I'm ready for it.

20191010_212608.jpg

Last edited:
Got 2 of em mounted and balanced today. Turned out great. Short stems, balancing weights on the back side. 225/60R15 does fill up the wheel well nicely. Of course no engine in there yet gives it the straight axle gasser look. Not that theres anything wrong with that. I can't wait to get the xploder 8.8 under the back and put the rears on. Then I will do a side shot and see what it's really gonna look like. Some people love the patina look. To me, primer is finer.

View attachment 1715404172

View attachment 1715404310
I have 15x7 Chrysler steelies w/ 215-60x15 tires on my 68 cuda with 73 a body discs. One tire hits the lower fender corner when backing up and turned. The other has 1/8" clearance. Your results may vary as it varies car to car.

Finally whittled out, sanded, and primered all 4 of these damn things. Will be awhile before I work on em again, but the major part of these speaker grille covers for both cars is done.

20191106_143651.jpg

20191106_152808.jpg

Picked up a Stewart Warner 9k sidewinder tachometer on Summit's black friday for $119 and got the free shipping . Gonna mod it to put the tachometer in the center hole in the dash. I figure modern electronics, and a higher rpm limit it will be better suited for when he decides to put a hot engine in years down the road.

Also got a nice summit under dash 2 gage set. 2,&5/8" mechanical oil pressure, and mechanical water temp. I figure we will wire up the stock 50 year old electric gages, but also have these under the dash for accuracy.

20191206_063443.jpg

20191206_063507.jpg

Damn I got to make 4 of these for 2 cars. This is gonna take forever. Screen is a fair representation of what it's going to look like. Going to paint it all black.

View attachment 1715389674

View attachment 1715389677

View attachment 1715389678

View attachment 1715389705

View attachment 1715389878

View attachment 1715389879

You made that Waaaay too much work, next time just drill one decent sized hole in the center and use a 32T blade on a jig saw. Man that hurt my head...E for effort though..Thumbs Up!

You made that Waaaay too much work, next time just drill one decent sized hole in the center and use a 32T blade on a jig saw. Man that hurt my head...E for effort though..Thumbs Up!
Yep, I thought of that, but I used what I had at my disposal at work while on break.

Last 2 rims sanded and painted yesterday. Was a nice 70° and no wind all day. A couple small defects and some bits of dust, I may scuff em back down with 320 grit, and shoot em again. Depends on how they look to me today. Wheels are pretty hard to paint and get into all the nooks and crannies. My lil buddy was right there working on his sweat equity.

20191214_161922.jpg

20191214_180637.jpg

20191214_192939.jpg

-
Back