67 A body brake line sizes

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
Does anybody know the brake line sizes for my 1967 barracuda? I am talking about the lines that go into the master cylinder on my stock drum brake setup and the lines that go to the distribution block. It looks like one side is smaller than the other on the master cylinder and on the distribution block. I am going to attempt to change mine tomm. Thanks

Dad and I were wrestling with his 67 cuda M/C as it was leaking. We had problems trying to find the right sizes...turns out the "plate/stop" for the plunger was missing a retaining bolt, so we never had to change the lines. Sorry not much help...

Yea, I am just a little confused. I bought oem lines from Mancinni, I noticed some nuts are smaller than the others. I noticed my master cylinder has 2 diff. sizes as does my Dist. block. Just trying to figure out if they are 1/4 or NPT or AN etc. Thanks

The lines are all the same size and flared fittings. The nut thread diameters are only different sizes so they dont get put in the wrong places.

Yea, I am just a little confused. I bought oem lines from Mancinni, I noticed some nuts are smaller than the others. I noticed my master cylinder has 2 diff. sizes as does my Dist. block. Just trying to figure out if they are 1/4 or NPT or AN etc. Thanks

don't take this the wrong way. but if its confusing ya that much just call fine lines or inline tube and order the pieces ya need. it will take all the guess work out for you..

All US brake lines of this era are what is known as "inverted flare." These are a standardized system where all flare nuts use standardized threads, but the rub comes in as RedFish says, they used different sized nuts. That is to say, these are a special nut. You might have a nut which would have a thread normally found on maybe, 1/4 or 5/15 tube, but the nut is specially built to take only the 3/16 tube used.

To put this another way, you might find a nut which WOULD BE a standard nut and a standard thread for that larger sized 1/4 or 5/16 line, but it has a smaller, 3/16 tube hole.

I cannot get under my car this week, but if you need to in a few days, I'll be "on the hoist" and can look them over.

In this chart, "nominal size" on the left is line OD. It is confusing, because you never call out thread size by "internal size." The correct size "call out" is the right hand two columns, the male thread OD and threads per inch

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=3109&location_id=3006

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3,464
I will add a caution for people with older cars with the single reservoir master cylinder (63-66?). The tube from the MC to the distribution block is 1/4", not the 3/16" everywhere in later cars. If you re-use your distribution block (going dual reservoir, as I did), install a "1/4 M inv flare to 3/16 F inv flare adapter" in the top port of the block (bubble pack at Autozone). Do not directly connect a 3/16" tube, even if it has a nut that screws in the port. It will not seal properly since the inverted flare is for a 1/4" tube. With any brake fittings, look closely at the port sizes and types and think carefully. You don't want to realize your mistake as you go over the cliff.

-
Back