67' Barracuda 273 (Camshaft Results at the Track)

-
Geez,guys..... 69Cuda 440 ,gave us great info.,be patient (lol). The cam swaps/dyno testing/ accelerstion testing,takes a lot of time. Hat's off ,to 69 for the efforts,tuning and posting. Thank you,69!

My 273 won't rev much past 4500 but I only have a Isky E-4 and I put it in a few degrees advanced. The bearing clearances are pretty tight too. My heads are similar except I didn't use hardened seats or stainless valves. Look on post 5 of my build thread. Mine needs more cam but I refuse to run headers so Ill stick with the stock manifolds and the HP single exhaust. tmm

My 273 won't rev much past 4500 but I only have a Isky E-4 and I put it in a few degrees advanced. The bearing clearances are pretty tight too. My heads are similar except I didn't use hardened seats or stainless valves. Look on post 5 of my build thread. Mine needs more cam but I refuse to run headers so Ill stick with the stock manifolds and the HP single exhaust. tmm

My car is set up pretty much the same as yours, but it will easily rev up to 6,000. What distributor and valve springs are you using?

Actually,the most impressive thing to me: How well,the hydraulics run. A properly set up engine,yes. How often,does someone properly prep,a 273? Super Stockers do. And,I don't blame them,for not sharing. Really,cool stuff.

nice thread 440 thats a fast little screamer you have there....

To make the power band on a smaller grind come in later in RPM you must retard the timing at the cam.. not advance it- then it comes in sooner and dies off earlier

A question I have though is- Can you use the solid lifter pushrods/rockers with a hyd cam?

There have been a half dozen threads here where someone couldn't get high rpm and their throttle cable travel was the only issue.

69 Cuda 440
What happened with the testing? You got to the D/Dart cams and stopped. Nothing like leaving me hanging.

Thanks for all the work that you've been doing. I know it takes a lot of work to change all the cams and do the testing. I'm sure all the 273 owners on the site appreciate it.

Alan

The Racer Brown ST-12 was 'super impressive'. Launched at 5700 RPM's, and it pulled like a 'monster' out of the hole.

The 273 'screamed' right up to the 6800 RPM 'Red Line'.

Great pull thru Bottom-End and Mid-Range.

Valve-Springs {268 lb.. Load-Rate} were a touch 'shaky above the 6500 RPM range.

The Valve-Train 'peaked' about 100 feet from the Traps.

Camshaft #8

Crane 'Zip 488' = .488"/.488" Lift ~ 300*/300* Duration ~ 76 * Overlap = (328 HP} = 12.40 @ 108.36 MPH

We switched Valve Springs from;
Crower #68305X1 {95 lbs. Valve Closed ~ 250 lbs. Valve Open}
to
Compu-Cam #926 {130 lbs. Valve Closed ~ 316 lbs. Valve Open}

The Crane 'Zip-488' was a popular Camshaft back in the early 70's, and was a 'Screamer'.

This Camshaft with the 'higher' Load-Rate Valve Springs let the 273 pull right up to 7000 RPM's with
ease.

Was a real strong power-pull from 4500 RPM thru 6500 RPM.
The 273 pulled amazingly strong from Bottom-End all the way through Upper Mid-Range.

We are running with a Carter #3447 AFB {600 CFM}, but this engine now could easily handle
a bigger Carburetor.

Alan {D-Dart}

We are going to pop in the Camcraft #P820-B 'D-Dart Camshaft' next.

.493" / .503" Lift ~ 284* Duration ~ 60* Overlap

We plan on taking the Barracuda to Rockingham Dragway on September 4th for
a Match-Race and Filming of the Event.

We are also bringing with us, an Edelbrock LD-4B Aluminum Dual-Plane Intake with a
Holley #3778 {700 CFM} Carburetor, to pop on for secondary runs.

Paul.
Thanks. I noticed the number of views this forum has and it appears that there still is a lot of interest in it. Thanks for continuing it.
Alan

If you have the matched lifters for the racer brown I would seriously be interested. Thanks again will be waiting for updates.

Thanks,and good luck. That Crane "Zip" grind,looks a awful lot like a mid 70's Comp Stage 2 solid.(300 adv ,251@ .050. 109 lobe centers,.022' lash). Strong running cam.

Crane 'Zip-Series'

Mucho Popular back in the early-1970's with Mopar and Chevy Guys

What the '1973' Crane Camshaft Brochure recommended.

Zip-488 ------- .488" Lift ~ 300* Duration ~ 76* Overlap
(Great Street-Strip Camshaft, works well with moderately built up Engines. Requires at a minimum; Headers and 4.10 Gears}

Zip-510 ------ .510" Lift ~ 310* Duration ~ 108* LSA
{Optimum Street-Strip Camshaft. Requires High-Rise Intake, Carburetor Up-Grade, Headers and 4.56 Gears}

Zip-517

Zip-538

Awesome thread, amazing results with stock heads and intake, this should shut up alot of the 273 naysayers.

Awesome thread, amazing results with stock heads and intake, this should shut up alot of the 273 naysayers.
It IS a awesome thread, but I dunno about this "273 naysayers" bit.....

It IS a awesome thread, but I dunno about this "273 naysayers" bit.....

Im just saying I agree that 99.9% people should start with a 360, but as to the naysayers that say you can't make power or get E.T's with a 273 I'm sure this will go a long way to prove that wrong, I hate the miss use of the phrase no replacement for displacement. This is with 2 major corks on this engine you probably could add 20hp to every results with a better intake and imagine fully ported heads or notched block and a set of RHS.

I would never build a 273 for the sake of building a Street/Strip Performance car,
as going with a 318 would be less expensive.

And for power output, the 340 or 360 completely runs away from the Commando.

But, for this Magazine Performance Test article, we are out to prove with the
right combination, and some smart components the 273 can be a 'Screamer'.

-
Back