67 barracuda convertible, what's it worth?

-

coolhandluke

Reaction score
Hey guys, I found this car for sale, it's a 67 barracuda convertible, slant six automatic car. The guy got it and started working on it, had the engine and transmission rebuilt, he says it only has "around the yard" miles since the rebuild, but runs. He tells me it needs rear floor pans, new canvas for the top (the top frame is in good condition, raises/lowers great). Needs interior, front suspension rebuilt and new brake lines. I've only gotten two pictures from him so far, but I wanted to see what you guys thought it was worth? He's asking $4000 firm or trades
Thanks guys!

2k tops, also make sure all the chrome/trim is there & usable, how bad do you want it?
that is a project car deluxe. Lawrence

My buddy was trying to sell one 2 years ago in the same shape. He even put it on eBay and it only brought 1200.00 thank god for reserves.

Barracuda convertibles sell higher than their counter parts. The two pictures shown do not give enough information to give an accurate opinion.

I would not give 4k for that(I'm cheap)-- for 5 k you can have a nice driving early A convert--

I know it's not a 67-69 b-cuda.

How much trim is missing in poor shape? what is your budget & how skilled are you ?

That thing looks like a money pit, Lawrence

Budget is 12-15k over the next two years, I'm very confident mechanically and electrically. I can do bodywork/welding, but I absolutely HATE bodywork. I don't know how much trim is missing, it's 2 1/2 hours away from me, but I'm going through that area next weekend and I'm going to take a look at it and get some better pictures

That seems a little much to me, considering we bought Nellas car for $2500, although that was 10 years ago now. It needs a total redo, and that aint cheap. Just the cluster bezel alone is gonna run you $500, and thats just the start if you dont have good trim and stainless to work with. It looks to me by the pics that there is a considerable dent in the passenger qtr. right behind the door, and a crease in the front fender on that side. Bodywork is going to add many dollars, and it being a convertible and having a bad rear pan, I would venture to say that there is more work to be done in the trunk and wheeltub area. I'd also check the frames in the rear, another area convertibles give way!! If it all pans out, you should be getting that car for $2500, which is what I would offer going by the pics!! Geof

Pictures are shot from too far away to give any accurate details of condition. No pictures of the undercarriage? There is a good looking Duster floating around with nice paint but when you see the undercarriage the car is too far gone.

How much mud in the body panels? How solid are the frame and floors? Are all the convertible specific parts there and usable? Good title? Fender tag/broadcast sheet there?

Can't really give a good answer until those are known, and if seller won't answer then you have to assume it's all missing/rotted/unusable.

For what it's worth my 2cents.....buy a project you can drive and chip away at projects yearly or however the budget permits. Seems a little expensive to me at the current price.

And here's the thing -- this slanty 'vert restored to #2 level won't be worth the money invested in it. You'd be way north of $15K, and you don't actually see slanties going for that kind of money these days. A 340-S 4spd would be another story.

I spent a fair amount of time researching a price for my dad's 67 6cyl auto 'vert after he passed away. It is a very original car, repainted original color, new top and interior -- basically looks flawless on the outside, but the engine and undercarriage show wear and dirt from driving. The highest price I could justify from actual sales (not hopeful ad listings) was $14K, and I suspected at the time that if I needed to move it, I'd have to settle for considerably less.

You would definitely be into this car for over $12K to get it even close to my dad's car in terms of bodywork, top, paint, and trim -- and I'm not even talking about interior or running gear to make it drivable. If you paid $1500-2000 and do all the work yourself, you'd have a nice long-term project, but I wouldn't count on making any money out of it. Which is fine -- all hobbies cost money -- some more, some less.

I agree that 4K is probably too much for that car. I know because that's about what I paid for my 68, and the body looked just like that. Mine was running and driving, but the black primer covered a lot of lousy body work and rust. Still, I don't feel too bad because I wanted a convertible and I wanted a project, and it was close. If you are willing to wait a while you can probably find a better deal (particularly something complete, ideally in original paint with the trouble spots easily visible). But convertibles are rare enough that distance from your garage is an important factor. Good luck.

Attachments

• Barracuda 021.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 167
Bottom line is do you like the car. If you really want a convertible Barracuda, to build up and customize to your tastes, and don't care about what it may fetch someday...go for it. Just be careful of hidden rot that will drive the resto cost way up.

Pics dont tell a heck of a lot other than its rough and that the parts he does have he didnt treat very well.....doncha love it when parts/pieces are all thrown on top of each other? No offense to slant six owners either, but why would you rebuild it if the car is that rough?? Get a sb, k member and it would probably raise the value more than rebuilding the 6. $2500 tops...

A nice driver grade vert can bring a little more than its counterparts in the springtime.
There are lots of buyers that have never owned or driven one.
Dollars aside for a minute to consider the project
Anyone who has driven one of these older verts can tell you about their hot and cold interior, wind noise, etc..
If you already have one with a roof and want to add a vert to your collection, sure, go for it. If you're going to spend a lot of time and money building your first and likely only one.. get a roof. Did I say "Tents are for camping" ?. That statement is harsh enough to ruffle the feathers of some vert owners. It's truth none the less.
I do have a 67 vert project here. I'll do all I plan to do to my notch back first.

Being a vert owner, I can tell you there is nothing like having one when the weather is nice. Mine never has been driven in the cold but I am sure it couldn't be as warm as a roof car. I love the vert because they is less of them than the others and I like owning something different than the crowd.

I have added a second late model vert to the stable now. I do have daily drivers which are a SUV, a pick up and the wife's car.

I've owned several old 'verts so I'll throw my .02 in here.

Your enjoyment level is proportionate to how well sorted the car is. No, they aren't as tight as a modern car, but you shouldn't get wet when it rains, either. Good weather stripping and proper adjustment of the windows and top mechanism is the key here.

You can comfortably drive it in cold weather if the heater is working properly.

You can comfortably drive it in hot weather with the top down if you get rid of the black interior that everyone seems to love. Get a white (or other light colored) interior, a can of Crazy Clean, and a microfiber towel, and enjoy the car.

Enclosed is a pic of a car I drove everywhere for 4 years, hot weather or cold. It was one of the most dependable, best driving old cars I have ever owned (and I've literally owned 100s) . Nothing fancy, 318, auto, with power steering. Still had points, a 2 bbl and single exhaust. There were no mods to the suspension (not even sway bars), but the car was tight. It had 14x7 wheels on the front and 15x8s on the back. Everyone who drove it was amazed at how well it drove.

The point is that the car as a whole was sorted out, no odds and ends to annoy you. The only thing changed after this pic was taken was changing the black seats and door panels to white. Hot weather comfort level improved tremendously from uncomfortable to enjoyable!

Dallas

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. I sold a triple black '70 Challenger 'vert and bought this one. The Challenger was a good car, but the little '68 was far more enjoyable. I owned both of the for about the same length of time and I put twice as many miles on the '68 as I did the '70.

Attachments

• 68 B'cuda (Small).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 113
-
Back