Not open for further replies.

SeattleQQ1Fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Contact seller
After much considaration, I’ve decided to let my Barracuda go. I really want a four speed car, and I don’t know if its worth the large price tag to replace the entire drivetrain of this car. It’s mostly unrestored and has been garaged and driven regularly its entire life. I’m the third owner and the second guy only had it for a couple months. 80,000 miles on the odometer and I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been flipped. The car is located in Buda, TX, just south of Austin. I'm asking 15,000.

Engine is a 273 (originally a 2bbl) with a 904 and 7 1/4 Sure Grip rear. The bottom half of the engine, trans, and rear end are original. Heads are newly rebuilt 302 castings, intake is a Weiand Action Plus, and the carb is an Edelbrock AVS 2. I replaced the timing chain and put in a NOS water pump when doing the heads. Motor mounts were replaced. Original radiator was gone through by Seattle Radiator and deemed to be in good condition. The 2 bbl kickdown linkage was replaced with a Bouchillon torqueflight cable kit which functions as it should.

The 273 starts reliably and I drive it a couple times a week. It’s no race car, but fun to cruise. The temperature gauge creeps up some, but it’s never overheated on me in the 100+ degree Texas heat. I just installed a new trans filter and the good reusable Mopar pan gasket, but it leaks a little bit. It may just be a matter of re-snuging the pan bolts.

The gas tank(AMD), sending unit, j-bolt, filler neck, fuel lines, and pump were are all replaced and I’ve only run non-ethanol gas since.

The floors, trunk and frame rails are solid. There’s surface rust, but no rot anywhere. The heater core and master cylinder both leaked, so I applied POR-15 to those parts of the front floor pan. I caught them fast though and there was no damage beyond the paint. I sprayed Eastwood internal frame coating inside the frame rails, and when I had the gas tank out, I removed all the undercoating from under the trunk area and treated it with Eastwood rust encapsulator. My plan was to remove all the factory undercoating, but I just haven’t gotten there yet. All suspension components appear original with the exception of the shocks.

The car was painted once, but It’s hard to tell how long ago. It’s not a great paint job, but looks good from across the driveway. I don’t know what’s under that paint, but the previous guy was told by the original owner that there are no major rust repairs. I can’t see any rust on the body. There is one small spot in front of the driver side wheel well, but I’m not even sure it’s rust. Underhood, door jambs and trunk are all still original paint.

Power steering was replaced with a fast ratio manual box from PST. When the column was out, the guts of the steering coupler were replaced and a grease zerk installed. I clocked the steering wheel wrong when I put it back together, so it’s off center. Rims are Cragars and tires are 245-60-14 Radial T/As on the front and rear. They’re a little wide for the front and rub if you turn really sharply, but it hasn’t caused any trouble.

Electronic ignition conversion was done with the standard Mopar wiring harness. Distributor, igniton module and ballast are new as well as the starter relay. I replaced the mechanical voltage regulator with the solid state type. The old starter was swapped out with a rebuilt Denso unit and I wish I’d done it sooner. The rest of the electrical system is original. AM radio works great. One of the interior dome lights doesn’t work, it might just need a bulb.

Interior is original (not sure about the carpet though) and in reasonably good shape for 50+ years old. The seat foam is worn and the rear seat material is cracked some. Windows all work properly and all the glass looks original. The carpet is torn a little by the console on the passenger side. The heater isn’t hooked up and the defrosters don’t work because the vent hoses are missing. The car originally came with a dealer installed A/C unit, but it’s long gone.

The brakes are manual drums all around. I replaced the leaky original master cylinder, but haven’t rebuilt the rest of the system yet. Hoses appear to be newer. The parking brake isn’t working. Visually, the brakes look ok and the car stops fine.

The windshield and rear glass gaskets are newer, but the 67-only trim inserts are missing. I planned to convert to 68 trim, so I never bothered to find it. I replaced the wiper pivot seals, but I’d probably waterproof more before driving in the rain or going to a car wash.

I have many pictures of everything I’ve done and I’m happy to provide any or all of them. I’ve shipped many cars and can help facilitate that if necessary.

Barracuda (1 of 9).jpg
Barracuda (2 of 9).jpg
Barracuda (3 of 9).jpg
Barracuda (4 of 9).jpg
IMG_3802.JPG
IMG_3795.jpg
IMG_3788.JPG

Nice car, I am a manual transmission guy myself, looked into switching my automatic car over also, just too expensive. Maybe someone will trade with you? Good luck with the car...

The car has a great stance.
What are the specs on the wheels, tires, and suspension?
GLWS.......

The car has a great stance.
What are the specs on the wheels, tires, and suspension?
GLWS.......
Suspension is stock.
Rims are 14" Cragar SS. They were on the car when I got it and I've never bothered to measure the offset. If anyone wants to know, I'd be happy to measure them.
245-60-14s on the front and rear.

I went for a nice long drive yesterday and realized how much I love driving this car. My wife is going to have to deal with the large price tag for the engine/4 speed swap; I'm keeping it. I didn't feel right about posting it in the first place. I don't see an option to delete the thread, so I'll just mark it sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back