67 Dart Build Triangulated 4 link & Mini Tub

-
We'll I got off to Harbor Freight early before the family even thought about getting out of bed and picked up a welding cart that I much needed. I also stopped off at the metal supply yard and picked up the material for the Sub Frame Connectors. 1 1/2" x 3" .120 wall rectangle stock and some 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat stock. I have a wopping $44.00 in material for the Sub Frame Connector's and the sheet metal to finish up the Mini Tub. I have a 16th B-Day party for my daughter so if I work on the car today my wife will want to have me executed!

If you guys need any welding wire Harbor Freight has 10lb spools of .030 solid wire on sale for $17.99 each that is more than 50% off the regular price. I had to pick up a couple!

349 stroker etc 001.jpg

349 stroker etc 002.jpg

349 stroker etc 001.jpg

349 stroker etc 002.jpg

I,m digging that cart,gonna have to get me one!Looking forward to your progress.:read2:

Oh yeah forgot to tell you. Anytime you go to Harbor Freight. Print out your shopping list and compare prices. The cart in the store was on sale for $49.99. Online price was $34.99 so You save $15.00 which is more than enough for a couple Taco's!

Oh yeah forgot to tell you. Anytime you go to Harbor Freight. Print out your shopping list and compare prices. The cart in the store was on sale for $49.99. Online price was $34.99 so You save $15.00 which is more than enough for a couple Taco's!

Now if only we had a Harbor Freight here in Canada.

Wylde1.

Please find a way to chain the cylinder higher up. Hate to see that missle flying through your place!

We have a similar store called Princess Auto here in Ontario.Do not,I repeat do not grap a cart!It will fill to fast!LOL

I like the cart Madart, but I think you have more bottle than cart. Dang! I just use the small bottles at home.

Please find a way to chain the cylinder higher up. Hate to see that missle flying through your place!

Its welded to the cart.......kidding, yeah I know I need to come up with a way to do that. Probably going to weld some angle to it and getrrrrr dunnnn.

I like the cart Madart, but I think you have more bottle than cart. Dang! I just use the small bottles at home.

I had a brand new smaller bottle and took it in on the exchange plan. I swear every time I get a new exchange the frickin bottle leaked. So I bought this bottle from a guy on craigslist that has been tested and tagged full of 75/25 mix for $160.00, I hate being in the middle of a project and run out of gas. I will use the smaller one now when I run out until I can re-fill the big one!

I had a brand new smaller bottle and took it in on the exchange plan. I swear every time I get a new exchange the frickin bottle leaked. So I bought this bottle from a guy on craigslist that has been tested and tagged full of 75/25 mix for $160.00, I hate being in the middle of a project and run out of gas. I will use the smaller one now when I run out until I can re-fill the big one!

Good plan. This reminds me that I am out of argon. Ugh.

Price isnt all that you need to look at when buying from harbour frieght. A lot of thier stuff is crap,wheras PA sells decent stuff for the most part (at least I think so).Also shipping,duty fees all add up to not much difference in price. Plus if you buy it at PA they will exchange it/refund it period. I like thier service as well. I have purchased sale items several days before the start of the sale at the sale price.They are good that way.

Price isnt all that you need to look at when buying from harbour frieght. A lot of thier stuff is crap,wheras PA sells decent stuff for the most part (at least I think so).Also shipping,duty fees all add up to not much difference in price. Plus if you buy it at PA they will exchange it/refund it period. I like thier service as well. I have purchased sale items several days before the start of the sale at the sale price.They are good that way.

I agree that Harbor Freight sells alot of CRAP.

Thats where PA shines! Thier line of air/power tools is awesome!

I have purchased a lot of tools from HF. The ones that suck you can pretty much tell lookin at em. I would not be mail order shopping from them. I have one 30 miles away so it's cool for me.
I have their brake caliper tool set, 10" sliding compound miter saw ($80 and nice!), assorted air die grinders, pond water pumps, pipe thread tap and die set, etc.
Like i said, if you can go to the shop and put your hands on it you can see if it's garbage or not. I am going to buy their top of the line tig welder, I think.
http://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...lding-machine-with-digital-readout-98233.html

If you put a drop or two of oil in when you use them (as you should with all air tools) and grease all greasable heads every now and then, all of these are nice and will last a long time:
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/grinders.html?limit=30
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ter-inch-composite-air-die-grinder-95029.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/grinders/120-air-angle-die-grinder-99841.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/grinders/air-die-grinder-with-3-inch-extension-99698.html

If anyone is thinking about buying HB tools and has a question about them...ask. I'm sure one of us with one nearby can probably give ya a thumbs up or down. They sell some brand name stuff too. Some of the items really have come up in quality because everything is being made in China now...brand names too.

Go to your local welding supply store and get a band clamp (should be around $15- $20) you can bolt or weld it to your cart. Great improvment over the chains (you can keep the chains on also for added protection)
Helps stiffen up the cart as an added bonus!

Hey Mad dart. I am in the Market for a good welder at decent price. What model is your Lincoln?
:afro:

I put in about 3 hours today figuring I could at least get the metal tacked in on one of them. That is about all I got done after welding and grinding the floor back to the frame rail and figuring out that there is absolutely no way to put the strip of metal back in one piece.........Damn that was some work! I didn't even have time to take pics. I will post some hopefully tomorrow. The difference between a Dart and a Duster is that the Dart fender is squared off in 2 places and when you make the bend with 1 piece of metal it takes off in a different direction. I actually had to do it in 4 pieces 1 up the face in the trunk, 1 on top, one in the back seat area and another to get around the Z Cut for the seat bracket. I put them in from under the car I didnt like the way it looked on top in the trunk area. The Duster fender looks alot more ROUNDED and seems like you could do it in 1 piece or 2 cutting around the seat belt hardware. FWIW

It looks easy to do,but once you get into it,it,s a little more time consuming with fitting.My 66 Dart,I did with a 3 inch strip,48 inches long.I guess the wheelwell is alot more round,not as squarish?LOL.Keep at it!

It looks easy to do,but once you get into it,it,s a little more time consuming with fitting.My 66 Dart,I did with a 3 inch strip,48 inches long.I guess the wheelwell is alot more round,not as squarish?LOL.Keep at it!

Yes I agree it looks very easy but at this point of the transformation it was surely the hardest part so far. I know how it goes together now and I should be able to cut the time in half for the drivers side.

I used about 60" of material cut in 3 1/4" strips. I made a mistake that cost me some time. I put the fender back in without wire wheeling all the old azzzz seam sealer and cleaning up the new weld areas. I had to take it all apart, clean it all and put it back in. This will not happen on the drivers side!:cheers:

-
Back