67 Dart- Can I fit 15x7 wheels both front/back?

-

rod

Reaction score
Hello everyone- Got a question for you. I have a 67 Dart 2 Door Hardtop, Slant 6 225. I'm converting the manual front brakes to power disc with a 5x4.5 bolt circle and tubular upper control arms. I'm also swapping out the original 7" rear end for a 8 3/4"

Aside these modifications- I'm pretty positive I can fit a 15x7 Mopar cop wheel with 4.5 backspacing but wanted to check with some experts to see if my hunch is correct.

I've even read that one could fit a 15x8 wheel as long as the backspacing is 4.5 but just not sure.
I look forward to any feedback.

I ran 15x7" cop rims with a 4.25" backspace and 225/60/15's up front on my Duster. No problems. I ran the same combo out back, but the Duster rear wheel wells are very different from a '67 Dart. I don't think you'd have any issues with a 15x7" with a 4.25" backspace out back depending on the tire choice, up to a 235/60/15 should be fine. A 15x8 with 4.5" backspace should work too, although with the A-body 8 3/4's and BBP axles you'd be better off with 4.75" backspace to maximize your tire clearance. Most folks with the 67-69 Darts can't get anything bigger than a 245 out back without modifications though.

Hey there 72bluNblu- thanks for the feedback.
So...you say:"A 15x8 with 4.5" backspace should work too"
Does this mean I can actually fit a 8"wide wheel(in the rear)- just as long as my backspace is 4.5" and that I go no larger in tire size than a 235 or 245?

If so- then that tells me I should have no issue fitting a 15x7 wheel with 4.5" backspace-right?

Does this mean I can actually fit a 8"wide wheel(in the rear)- just as long as my backspace is 4.5" and that I go no larger in tire size than a 235 or 245?

If so- then that tells me I should have no issue fitting a 15x7 wheel with 4.5" backspace-right?

8" wheel in the rear will not work w/a stock rear unless you relocate or offset the springs and play w/the b/s.

My dad runs 15" x 7" (with 4.25" back spacing) Rallye wheels all the way around on his 70' Swinger and has no fitment problems.

Attachments

• dart%20031.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 501
7" wheel with 4.50 backspacing will work front or rear. But no guarantees that anything bigger than a 225/60-15 tire will fit.
8" wheel with about 5" backspacing will work in the rear, but you are still limited by tire size. Some people can get a 235 tire on the back, some even bigger.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. This is definitely helping with my decision on these wheels.

Does anyone know the member who goes by the name Don-Vee? He had a post from back in early August regarding two sets of 15x7 wheels he was selling and I'd like to touch base with him. I sent a message but know some folks might not check back as often as others.

I have 17x7 with a 4.75" back spacing with a 215/50/17 front, and 17x8 with 5.25 Back Spacing with 245/45/17 rear. They are custom offset wheels. I have LBP front and rear via newer disc's in the front and a stock A-body 8-3/4 with 11" drums. Nothing is relocated in the rear, all stock location. I may need to trim and roll a bit in the rear 1/4 only because one side has a replacement skin. The fit is great but you'll need to pony up $1500 to get custom offset wheels.

You can see in the pic below how they sit on the body.

Another post to read: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=225071

Attachments

• 20140808_135637.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 383
Just put 15x7 with 4.5 backspace on our 70 dart with 225/60-15 tires. Fit nice but if I did it again I'd go 4.75 backspace. Stock Chrysler 4.25 backspace just stick out too far for me.

Bought the wheels new from wheel vintiques. Paid the extra $25 a wheel for custom backspace.

I'm running stock style 73-up front disc brakes and an abody 8 3/4 rear with big car axles and brakes.

A 15x7 with 4.5" of backspace should fit just fine. That rim would have the same offset as a 15x8 with 5" of backspace, which should also fit just fine on an car with an A-body 8 3/4, especially with BBP axles.

On my '71 with an A-body 8 3/4 and BBP axles I have 6" from the wheel mounting location to the springs, and 5" from the wheel mount to the quarter lip. For a rim that works out to an offset of ~13mm to center the wheel, which is exactly a 15x7 with 4.5" of backspace or a 15x8" with 5". Now, you can go with a little more offset/backspace than that, because you need a little more room to the quarters than you do to the springs. No more than a 1/4" of additional backspace though, so I'd say 15x7 with 4.75" of backspace or 15x8 with 5.25" would be a about the most you wanted to go, unless you don't mind using a small spacer to make up any difference beyond that.

8" wheel in the rear will not work w/a stock rear unless you relocate or offset the springs and play w/the b/s.

A 15x8 will fit in the back. Wanna know how I know? Because I mounted a 17x9" rim on my Dart. The key is tire choice and the backspacing on the wheel. A 15x7" is more than wide enough to run a 245/60/15, which is probably the biggest tire you're going to fit in the back without trimming or offsetting the springs. I know that on my '71, I have 11" from the quarter lip to the inner wheel tub. That means if I set the backspace up perfectly, I should be able to run a tire with a section width just over 10". A 245/60/15 has a section width of 9.8", so at least on my car that will work with the right backspace. And the rim can be any size that the tire will safely fit on, the tire is going to be the widest part unless you go all "tuner" and stretch the tire on a rim that's too big.

Just put 15x7 with 4.5 backspace on our 70 dart with 225/60-15 tires. Fit nice but if I did it again I'd go 4.75 backspace. Stock Chrysler 4.25 backspace just stick out too far for me.

That's the BBP axles. The combination of BBP axles and brakes adds about a 1/4" to 3/16" or so to the width of the wheel mounting location compared to the SBP. And those specs match right up with what I measured on my '71, so that makes sense.

72bluNblu- Thanks for the detailed feedback above. You do not know how much I do appreciate it.

I've got 245/60/15 on the back of my 68 Dart conv with SBP and 15x7 rims with 4.25 backspacing. There is rubbing outside and inside under mildly aggressive cornering. I have very weak springs and work leaf bushings.

-
Back