67 headlight switch

-

WildCat

Reaction score
while driving my Dart in Florida the dash light went out. The reostat has always been tricky to get the dash lights to work, they were either on or off, not really dimmable. It had been that way from day one of buying the car.

I should have replaced it when I rebuilt the car, but didn't think about it.

Is there an aftermarket switch available or do I have to get another 45 year old switch and hope for the best, does it have to come from a 67?

it did this 2 years ago right at the end of the summer and the next time I drove it at night they worked. Had to move the car tonight and turned the lights on and nothing, so before summer I need to repair it.

if someone would have the part # maybe I could find a NOS at the Chrysler swap meet in March

When I replaced mine, the local small NAPA store had one in stock. I assume they fit a number of years of Mopar products. I'd bet they fit pickups and vans, as well.

I think the headlight switch is pretty generic. I added some to some rockauto purchases to save on shipping, since <$10 I recall. The rheostat dimmers get flaky in all cars, especially in humid FL. A few weeks ago, I fixed the one in the Mercedes my son is driving in 2 min with a quick spray of contact cleaner, which you can buy at electronics stores and some hardware stores.

To solder a jumper over the dimmer reostat is quite simple once the switch is removed. Result is full on dash lights regatdless where the knob is turned.

If it's just the dash lights that are the problem, try removing the switch and cleaning the contacts on the dimmer portion of the light switch. It's an open winding that get all kinds of fuzz and crud coating it over the years. Some super fine sand paper and contact spray does wonders to them. As others have mentioned, there are new ones available from a variety of sources and the last time I checked, they were fairly cheap.

thanks guys

I changed one in a vette years ago for the same problem, probably got a gm one since the car wasn't that old.

Just hate to take it apart and reinstall with the same problem. Really don't care if the reostat works since I'm old and need as much light as possible to see.

Will check out parts stores for a replacement

I just purchased a new ignition switch for my 68 dart from OReilly's. I'm sure they have the headlight switches also.

I'm having the same problem with my switch. My stupid question is how do I get the switch out?

I'm having the same problem with my switch. My stupid question is how do I get the switch out?

Remove neg' battery cable.
Remove fuse box attaching screw.
Gently lift fuse box from its support
and back , then down to rest behind the support.
Pull switch stem to fully on.
Reach in on right side of switch and press stem release button.
Pull stem out.
Wiggle switch from behind while applting counterclockwise force
on switch bezel nut
Route switch with harness connecoor out underneath the dash.
Disconnect and inspect harness connector.
NOTE DO NOT press release button to reinstall stem.
That would wreck the latch.
Stems pointed end will guide it into latch.

And to add to Red's excellent commentary........................

SDC10656.JPG

-
Back