67 only stuff

-

YY1

Reaction score
How much of a ***** is it to find 67 only front end parts?

Can you convert to 68 and up parts to make things easier?

I'm looking at a 67 Barracuda, and have heard the 67 stuff is kinda scarce/pricey.

I guess I'm wondering- Is it worth it to convert to 68 and up during the rebuild?

Thanks.

The only thing I've really heard that's 67 only is in the steering, and just the idler arm at that. The pitman arm is common up to 72 I believe (from what Mancini sells at least). Pretty sure the spindles and control arms and what not are pretty much all the same and swappable to later years pretty easy. The idler arm is harder to swap though because it's the K frame mount that's the issue. It's a tab style mount that a stud on the idler attaches to whereas the later years are a box style mount with a bolt that goes through it and the idler arm (single vs. double shear for the engineers out there).

Unless you're autocrossing your car I probably wouldn't worry much about the difference between them. You might have a little more flex in the 67 style setup, but from my experience with old cars the steering is usually pretty sloppy anyway. Replacements for the 67 idler are a little more expensive, but Mancini and others still carry them. There are several other one year only parts you'll run into that aren't suspension based like the windshield gaskets and some interior pieces. My car had the 67 style mount when I bought it, but I converted to the later style because I swapped the K frame for one with spool mounts and I don't notice any difference.

Yup, just the idler arm is different. They are out there, but are expensive. Swapping the k-member is the easiest solution if you want to change to the newer arm, but it's not the only option.

Thanks guys.

What's different about the windshield/gasket? Will 68/69 work?

Interesting car I'm looking at- E code 273-4 NON-Formula S, with disk, a/c, swaybar, and buckets.

I thought AMD made quarters, at least 68/69. I can't find them in the catalog anymore.

The 67 windshield gasket uses a combination lock strip/trim piece to fasten it in. Very few if any vendors are making the lock strip aftermarket, and I don't believe anyone is remaking the gasket right now, so if it's pretty crispy or leaky you'd have a hard time replacing it with a 67 piece. You can use a 68/69 gasket fine, they're the same size, you just won't have any trim on your windshield unless you also add the clips to hold it used on the later models (those little spring clips that are so prone to rusting out, lol).

Great info- have those trim clips on my 66 Coronet.
Never knew they were not on contemporary A body.

I converted my 67 to the 68-9 gaskets and moldings, the front windshield moldings are common any 2 door a-body 68 and up non post.
post car, duster or demon will not work.
Now, the rear window will be expensive as it was only 2 years 68-9. 3 to 5 hundred for a fastback set seem the going rate as of late.

Now that this thread has went beyond the idler arm difference in 67 to all the other differences in 67 it will probably go on and on. Vent window assembly attaching to door 1 year only. Armrest pads and bases 1 year only. From the grilles and headlight doors to the trunk trim, 1 year only. If its a decent complete car, buy it. The 68 and 69 have their 1 year only parts too. The only 2 differences 68/69 have that I might be consider an improvement from 67 is the idler arm attachment and the addition of side marker lamps.
Members here make a lot of comments about those stainless reveal mouldings. Sure the stainless is preferred in a cosmetic sense. The faux chrome lock insert serves the purpose and you can buy a lifetime supply of that stuff for what it costs to change to the stainless.
In some cases the stainless will emphasize flaws in the body that weren't noticable beside the original black rubber gasket. Just my .03

.03?

dang stag-flation!

For what it's worth I think the window cranks are also one year only. The 67 ones are all metal with metal handles, the later ones went to rubber handles. Probably one of the few things I prefer about the older stuff, the handles are way more solid and less prone to bending. May be in even earlier year cars though, not sure about that, I just know they ended in 67.

How about that AMD quarter question?

Why aren't they on the site anymore?

[ame]https://www.autometaldirect.com/images/newparts/AMD_Barracuda_67_FullQuarterPanel_2-17-12.pdf[/ame]

Heres a link. Now they say in stock.

Thanks for all the info guys.
I ended up passing on the car.
Looked like quite a bit of previous body work coming back and some new rust in placed I didn't like.
Valuable info for the archive, though.

-
Back