'68-'72 or '73-'76 k-member?

-

jtolbert

Reaction score
So, I found a source for a big-bolt-pattern front-end swap (from a '75 Scamp) for my '67 Valiant. The person has multiple k-members available. I'm guessing there's no real decided advantage from a steering/suspension point of view between the two different k-members, but how about from an engine-swap perspective, assuming both are V8 k-members? Would you go with the '68-'72 or the '73-'76, and why would you pick that one? I'm leaning towards the '68-'72 k-member cause it seems like the selection of mounts is better.

The 73+ allows the swaybar to mount through the k-frame and has spool type mounts which are both advantages in my opinion.

I would choose the 73 up as well because the sway bar passing through the frame, allows for wider front tires, and also the spool engine mounts are better...

Interesting. I wasn't aware there was much difference outside the mount type. Sounds like the '73+ k-member would be a better way to go. Thanks.

...That'll actually make things easier and faster when removing stuff from the Scamp. I won't have to pull a k-member from another car.

So apparently the '75 Scamp is a straight-six car. :( I could probably get away with using the SCS conversion spool mounts, but how big is the diff between the spool-type I6 and V8 k-members?

So apparently the '75 Scamp is a straight-six car. :( I could probably get away with using the SCS conversion spool mounts, but how big is the diff between the spool-type I6 and V8 k-members?

ok i have a 1977 volare v-8 k member (318 car) would this work for you ?

Unfortunately the Volare k-member and front suspension isn't the same as a A-body...They may interchange, but it requires some fab work. Thanks, though.

-
Back