68 Barracuda. How Big Can I Go? Rim and Tire?

-

TimS

Reaction score
Feedback please on a rim and tire combo for my stock 68 Barracuda. It has the 7 1/4 rear. My plan was to use the 15" 61C Cragars I reference in my lug nut question below. Anyone already travel down this road on that rear?

Thanks !!

Before I jumped off & bought wheels & tires, I'd jack the car up, take the current wheels & tires off, put it on jack stands under the rear axle & lower control arms . From there, I'd start measuring for back spacing, front spacing & over all width. Most of the tire manufacturers have the specs for their tires so you can make an intelligent decision. Just my .02.

Sure did!
I installed L50-15s on adapters, on that 7.25, in 1976. It was a 6-cylinder, 1969 Barracuda, lol.
The factory tubs will easily accept 295/50-15s on 10s; but you'll need either a narrowed rear end, or a custom offset wheel ..... or Air-shocks..... which is what my car had... Hey I was 23 at the time and nobody told me it was uncool.

Last edited:
In general Barracuda's have the same size wheelhouse as Dusters/Demons/Dart Sports, namely about 1" more space in the back than a hardtop Dart does. With everything in the stock location (springs, quarter lip) I wouldn't recommend going past 275mm wide. But ride height play big into that, and I give recommendations based on the wheels being inside the wheel wells, not below them with high arch springs.

A better question might be, how much tire does it take to break a SBP 7.25" rear axle with 7/16" wheel studs.

I would love to see some 17's or 18's on a 67-69 Barracuda

There are quite a few here already, @khuebner250 and @mosleyme come to mind

khuebner

18x9, 18x10 Toyo r888r 275/35/18 335/30/18
pxl_20210907_235429574-jpg.jpg

mosleyme

dsc08486-jpg.jpg

I've got more but with the "bookmark" feature missing at the moment those are the first two that come to mind

I’ve been thinking about going 255s just to make sure they stay inside the wheel well. I have air shocks on now but have experience with air shocks failing on my wedding day 42 years ago and eating the edges of the rear tires up on my Roadrunner.

I’ve been thinking about going 255s just to make sure they stay inside the wheel well. I have air shocks on now but have experience with air shocks failing on my wedding day 42 years ago and eating the edges of the rear tires up on my Roadrunner.

They're a safer bet for sure, especially if you can't get your backspace matched up so your wheels are perfectly centered up. But 275's will fit most Barracuda's with the stock spring locations if the backspace centers the wheel up decently well. But body tolerances are definitely a consideration, you have to measure your car to be sure.

And air shocks are terrible!

I had 295 50's on my 69 Formula S in the Avatar but I had to use spacers and long studs to accomplish that. Also put Hemi springs on it so it sat really nice. Trying to use all stock stuff will be a different animal. This 68 I have is very original and I want to go back to the stock setup quickly at some point so I don't want to do a bunch of mods. to get the look I'm after today.

275/50/17 nito rear
215/50/17 front coopers

Are the rear fender lips rolled?

On my 68, I got 245/50/15 on 15x8 with 4.5 backspacing with small bolt axles (re-drilled lbp) on stock 40 year 340 leaf springs. No lip rollig or trimming.

-
Back