68 Barracuda rocker trim

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I picked up the rocker trim for my 68 Barracuda that I am building and have a few questions about it. Did this only come on Formula S cars, how rare is the trim, does it need to be used with wheel well trim and was the main piece all polished or did it have black in it as well??? Any pics on a car would be great as well.

Cheers
Derrick

any 68 with a trim package could have those mouldings. The gill plate is designed to blend with the rear wheel opening moulding. Yes the deeper areas of the gills are painted black. The best thing to do with those is sell them on ebay. They hold crap against the outside and cause more rust.

Rocker trim picture... Let me know if you need some sort of a detail shot and I can take it for you.

08-20-09_1805.jpg

:-:)-(Thanks guys, guess I shouldn't believe everything I here as I was told from the seller it was only available on Formula S cars
684mulas would love to see acloser up shot of the side of your car so I can see what it looks like with no wheel well trim. Not sure if I am going to use it yet or not:dontknow:

Thanks

I dont think it matters if the wheel well trim is used or not. Mine has holes for the trim screws and I have trim but its just not on the car. I dont have enough tire clearance to use the trim on the front.

Wheel Clearance Rear.jpg

Thanks 684ulas. :thumbup: I think I am going to use it just because you don't see many of them with it. Now I just want to find a set of 383 hood inserts :-D

I regret not filling in the holes when I had my car painted..... :angry7:

I have just the gills mounted now as I haven't had the time to strip & polish the spears. If you don't have the spears, good luck. These are made of un-obtainium. Search out the mounting clips for the spears too. The gills can be mounted with conventional moly anchors. But the last set of spear clips I saw on e-Bay had a ridiculous reserve in excess of $15 per clip. I found about 25 of them at Carlisle 5-6 yrs. ago. They were used, but in beautiful condition. They're hard to find and could be a headache. If anyone has an alternate method of mounting them, PLEASE share.

As for the wheel well trim, the rear moldings have to be trimmed to fit against the gills. The factory moldings were stamped to fit. You'll have to cut the reproductions ones that are available if you use them. I'm deleting the wheel well trim, but will have the gills & spears.

But I'd agree. If you don't have all the bits-n-pieces, think twice about adding them. You just might be better off e-Baying them.

BTW: 684Mulas.... what color is your car? It sure looks like either Q1 or L1 Turquoise. Which is it? Mine's L1 8)
CoooDah002-vi.jpg

I was told by the person I found a set for {his family owns Chrysler dealerships } that they were common on the Formula S cars but were actually released mid year as a marketing ploy called " The West Coast Trim Package " to boost sales on the West coast hence the name ,man I wish he would have told me that before I hunted them down and gave them to him without a mark-up they would look real good on my 69

Thanks guys, great info.:thumbup:

I do have the gills and spears :-D but no clips on the spears :( So like FASTBACK340 says if there is another way or type of clip to use I would love to hear it. Great info on the wheel well trim. I do not have the trim on mine but it did come with it from the factory. Hate the thought of having to notch the wheel well trim that I will have to pay a ridiculous amount for :cry:

My 68 Formula S came with the wheel well trim, but no rocker trim.

I think if was gonna put that trim on my car I would use trim tape ( black adhesive on 2 sides. First I would cut and fit an aluminum back in the rim , then fill the void with great stuff expanding foam, This would provide a surface for the trim tape to mount to without having the trim become too heavy for the tape to support.
I suppose the lower gill plates would still need their painted head screws since those ware quite heavy from the git go and the screw holes are there already. Just an idea.
I may have a half dozen or so of those original clips but I would need a pic of one since I have so many different type clips in one box.

-
Back