68 Cuda What yall think

-

artie727

Reaction score
I have never been one to do what everybody else does. I have an idea to put front rack and pinion steering on my 68 Cuda. Plan would be to use, Pinto, Mustang II, Chevy Metric etc front spindles, a custom lower control arm and strut arms fabricated by myself with a power rack. I know I can buy all this for $3,000.00 or so but that will take all the fun out of it. Have a lot of experience with roundy round front suspensions, that's whats got me wondering. What yall think?

Artie Perilloux

And what exactly would you gain? Sounds like a lot of work to Jethro something up. First, the OEM Mopar suspension wasn't that bad. Rebuilt, with swaybars and gas shocks it works quite well. And, although an Alterktion is a fairly spendy setup, you get a lot for your money.

Sorry if I'm not telling you what you want to hear, but why re-invent that wheel again?

Also, don't even think about using coil overs in the stock upper shock mounts, it wont work.

And what exactly would you gain? Sounds like a lot of work to Jethro something up. First, the OEM Mopar suspension wasn't that bad. Rebuilt, with swaybars and gas shocks it works quite well. And, although an Alterktion is a fairly spendy setup, you get a lot for your money.

Sorry if I'm not telling you what you want to hear, but why re-invent that wheel again?

Also, don't even think about using coil overs in the stock upper shock mounts, it wont work.

Chief I always seem to get myself in trouble with my wild ideas especially when I have a few adult beverages. You're right, being different isn't always a plus. It's my fault, I just don't have the experience of confidence in the A-Body front suspension.

Some suspension upgrades I have heard about or incorporated include close-ratio steering gears, sway bars, 11/16" tie rod ends and sleeves that are a direct fit. Just Suspension makes a low cost 1" torsion bar (USA) and lately Bilstein shocks have become available for A bodies. Just stay away from the break-away tubular control arms, and you can do a lot with the stock set-up.

I have never been one to do what everybody else does. I have an idea to put front rack and pinion steering on my 68 Cuda. Plan would be to use, Pinto, Mustang II, Chevy Metric etc front spindles, a custom lower control arm and strut arms fabricated by myself with a power rack. I know I can buy all this for $3,000.00 or so but that will take all the fun out of it. Have a lot of experience with roundy round front suspensions, that's whats got me wondering. What yall think?

Artie Perilloux

Sure put a VW rack and pinion in it and then add a Toyota engine.

This is the Early Abody sub forum, for 1966 and older Abody cars.

It might be better to ask this question in another of the sub-forums. ;)

-
Back