68 Dart 270- Pro Street 500 cubes.

-

overrever

Chris
Reaction score
Wow, I have just acquired my old 68 Dart 270 that I sold about 5 yrs ago to a guy that just had to have it. The car had a 440, CPPA 2"under chassis headers, RPM intake, Carter 750, 509 purple cam, 727, w/ 3500 stall, 8 3/4 w/ 4.56 out of a early B-body, totally rebuilt front end, and frame connecters.
At the time I built it the quarters were rusted out pretty bad & I didnt have the money to buy new quarters so I cut the fenders out and mini tubbed it. It doesnt look to bad but I may fix the wheel well/fenders back the right way now.
The car was in pretty decite shape when I sold it, and was a more than a blast to drive around town.
Now it has a blown engine, seems the guy ran it low on oil while he was driving it on the interstate (smart) and it spun # 6 rod bearing. It also has a little damage to the passenger side. The guy was cheating on his wife and well she took a (hammer?) to the car. She beat the pass rear quarter, front fender and busted the passenger side rear window & the windshield.
I saw this damage about a month ago and for some reason I thought it was alot worse than it really is. I guess I was in shock to see my old friend had been beat on.
Anyway I was working on my 67 Dart convertible when the guy called me up and asked me if I wanted to by the car back from him. I told him that times are tough right now and I wish I could but I cant afford it. I told him that I might trade the convertible for it and well now I have my old friend back w/ all of the parts that went with it. As for the 67 Dart convertible I will probally get it back in the future.
I was building another 68 Dart as a Pro Street car but it needs alot of work still so I'm going to pull the narrowed rear out of it and install it in this car. It has a set of 29.50x13.50 slicks on it which should look awesome under the car.
I have a 500ci Stroker that I think might make around 600hp to put in it. The engine has a Crowe racing 950cfm carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM 88cc heads & intake manifold, Compcams roller rockers/lifters, .660 lift in/ex, Dur@ 50 255in 263ex, RPM brand nitride 4"150 crank, RPM 6"760 H beam rods, SRP pistons, that w/ the 88cc heads will be about 10.5-1 so I can use pump gas.
One thing that I do remeber is it was a b**ch to get to the plugs and wires because of the headers & inner fenders. There is a little rust on the inner fenders now so the are going to come out to make thing a little easier as far as being friendly under the hood.
I have almost all of the parts to build one hell of a Pro Street car now.
The only thing that I need now is a 12 point cage, and a coil over conversion set.
Has any one tried the Jegs or compitition enginering cages? I'm thinking of buying one of those kits.
Heres some photos of my old friend ready to be brought back to life.

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

It looks like a cool old car,especially with the wheel well openings you dont like.It has that hemi dart look to me.I bet that car would be a blast to drive,in its current conditon,with the engine repaired,and the rust fixed for safety.Keep us updated on its progress

Nice to see you got your car back! Soo sad she got beat with a hammer!!Why the car??Why do the women beat the cars all the time??Why not take the hammer to the old man??? Well thats over!! Good luck on your build!

It looks like a cool old car,especially with the wheel well openings you dont like.It has that hemi dart look to me.I bet that car would be a blast to drive,in its current conditon,with the engine repaired,and the rust fixed for safety.Keep us updated on its progress

The 68 Hemi Darts have a more squared off opening to the fenders, to me it opens up too much of the fender. My fenders were rusted out and I didnt have the money at the time to buy a set on new quarters so I took the chrome off of the front fenders and used it as a out line to cut out the rear fenders. It turned out ok I guess,
I got alot of compaments on it and alot of people saying that it looked butchered. I like it but I also like the way big tires/slicks look when they are tucked up under the fender. I will just have to wait until I get the narrowed rear and slicks under it & see how it looks.

QUOTE=71produster;753079]Nice to see you got your car back! Soo sad she got beat with a hammer!!Why the car??Why do the women beat the cars all the time??Why not take the hammer to the old man??? Well thats over!! Good luck on your build![/QUOTE]

Yeah, she should have beat him with a hammer, I know my wife would.:violent1:

it aint it that bad of shape. i like it! should be a fun ride when it is all done

we put the 12 point cage in our 74 dart swinger. it worked out ok. buy you a good grinding disc to work on the pre-notched joints alittle bit. but other than that you can't beat it for the price of prebent cage. sure beats trying to do it from scratch..
the dart has the 12 point and the duster has the 6 point jegs cage. have not had to use them yet but they are kinda like a security blanket. it is comforting knowing you have them.

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Great Dart! I like the street racer/badass look of it. No nonsense, all business. I say fix the motor and raise h*ll! Good luck with the build, as one pro street guy to another, I say its well worth it. Post lots of pics and progress for us to drool about!

74360duster (Jeremy) Thanks for the info on the cage I will be looking into one in the near future. When I get one I'll give you a shout.
You have some Bad azz looking cars Jeremy!! I see a 10.50 on the windshield of the Dart. Thats damn sweet!! Thats the ET I'm shooting for with my car.

TurboDart68 Thanks for the comment. As for my car looking bad azz, yours is the bad azz!!!
Yeah when I get her rollin out I will raise all the H*LL I can get away with. Its been to long since I've been in a side ways drift in second gear!!

Do u know the BS of those wheels? I have a 68 dart thats is mini tubbed and leafs relocated.. stock lenght 8.75...I'm looking for a 15x10" wheel under it...I just dont know what BS to get.
washdart2.jpg

washdart1.jpg

Dude I hope the Karma Police don't come knockin'!!!!
I bought circa '96 a very cool 5.Oh Ranchero with EFI and 5spd that the sellers wife took a monkey wrench (he showed me the wrench), anyway from the day I brought it I was cursed. The neighbors started complaining when I started working, then the car sat at my parents for a year, then the wife oh that story...
Dude I hope the Karma Police passes you right over. Good luck!!!

Do u know the BS of those wheels? I have a 68 dart thats is mini tubbed and leafs relocated.. stock lenght 8.75...I'm looking for a 15x10" wheel under it...I just dont know what BS to get.

Sorry CHARGER, but I'm not going to be a big help to you. I think w/ a factory A-body rear on a 10" wheel you need a 7" or a 7.5" backspacing. Someone on the site will know it. I cant remember what it is.
The Weld wheels I have on my car are 8.5" wide. I havent seen this car in 5 yrs so I cant even remeber what the back spacing is on these wheels ether.
I will pull one off tomorrow evening & find out, but off of the top of my head I think they have a 4.5" back spacing. The 68 that I'm building is getting a narrowed rear.
I just had the Weld wheels off yesterday & put them under my other 68 Dart.
Man your car looks awesome now & is going to look really awesome as h*ll with the tires tucked. :cheers:

Dude I hope the Karma Police don't come knockin'!!!!
I bought circa '96 a very cool 5.Oh Ranchero with EFI and 5spd that the sellers wife took a monkey wrench (he showed me the wrench), anyway from the day I brought it I was cursed. The neighbors started complaining when I started working, then the car sat at my parents for a year, then the wife oh that story...
Dude I hope the Karma Police passes you right over. Good luck!!!

Belive me my neighbors know me pretty good!! When I used to own this Dart (before I sold it) I drove it as a daily driver for about 2 years, I left the house at 5:30 am every morning. I would start the car in the garage, let it warm up, pull out and let it lope down the street. I got no complants from anyone. Besides that they all know that I am the guy that runs out in the street when some one thinks the street on witch we live is a DRAG STRIP! As a matter of fact that just happen about 6:00pm tonight when I was working on my car!!! The guy came by my house wide open & didnt let off the throttle until he was way up in second gear. It got my attention!!! Then what do you know about 5 mins latter here he comes again wide open again. I just happen to be jacking up my floorjack so I pull out the handle & wait well by this time he is way up in sec gear (again) So when he gets close to my house I jump out in the street and act like I'm going to fix his wagon Nissian. Hes is plobably doing 65mph whene he sees me & locks up his brakes, almost hit the curb on opposite side of the street & drives past me.Then the little PUNK comes back w/ a baseball bat trying to intimidate me? It didnt work. :axe:

I did a little work to the car tonight. I cut out the rusted inner fenders, & finished swaping rear ends with my other 68.
Tomorrow evening I will try to get it welded in place.
I stuck the slicks up under it just to see what it was going to look like and well I like it. The slicks are 29.5x13.50 mounted on 15x10 wheels w/3" backspacing. I may just leave the quarters like they are.

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00164.JPG

if you look at the rear wheels of my green dart in this post. it has 15x10 wheels. mini tubed, stock width 8.75 and relocated springs. the tires are
29.5x10.5w. the wheels have a 7 in backspacing.

if you look at the rear wheels of my green dart in this post. it has 15x10 wheels. mini tubed, stock width 8.75 and relocated springs. the tires are
29.5x10.5w. the wheels have a 7 in backspacing.

Yup thats exactly what I wanted to know thanks... not sure If I can find a big bs like that... most that I have seen around is 5.5"

I did a little work to the car tonight. I cut out the rusted inner fenders, & finished swaping rear ends with my other 68.
I stuck the slicks up under it just to see what it was going to look like and well I like it. The slicks are 29.5x13.50 mounted on 15x10 wheels w/3" backspacing. I may just leave the quarters like they are.

Are you going to reinforce the shock mount or put a inner fender well back? Also where did the rearend come from? Is it the right size? Are you going to back half it now?

Are you going to reinforce the shock mount or put a inner fender well back? Also where did the rearend come from? Is it the right size? Are you going to back half it now?

Yeah turbo, I'm going to put a 12 point cage in it so the shock towers will be fine. I had a few reasons to cut inner fenders out, rust, more room, & heat. I bought this rear end a few yrs ago & got a h*ll of a deal on it. It has ladder bars, strange axles, green bearing, 4.56w/ spool. It measures 48" flange to flange. I stuck some perches on it & put it under my other Dart to get it able to roll. I'm going to leave the rear frame as is is now. if I do back half a car it will be my other 68, But that will be awhile.

Those rims look great with that backspacing. Makes me want to narrow the rear in my Demon. :-k It's already been mini-tubbed and the springs relocated. I'll be following your build.

I see that you're from OKC. I've been listening to the Katt for a few years online. Best radio station I know of.

Wylde1.

Overrever, Glad you got your car back. I can relate big time. I bought my Duster in 79-80 from a good friend's wife after he died. Got it running looking decent and drove the heck out of it till late 85, sold it to a Navy buddy and was able to get it back from him in 95. Its been sitting in the garage since 93 so its been back home with me for some time - screaming at me "when are you going to get started" every time I go in the garage.

You're Dart is sweet - keep the **** coming and don't forget to put a few videos up when you get her running again.

Those rims look great with that backspacing. Makes me want to narrow the rear in my Demon. :-k It's already been mini-tubbed and the springs relocated. I'll be following your build.

I see that you're from OKC. I've been listening to the Katt for a few years online. Best radio station I know of.

Wylde1.

Hey Wylde1 I've seen your awesome Demon. It looks pretty mean/evil.
I would think that if you get a narrowed rear under it will look like Satan himself would want to own it!!
Yeah the http://www.katt.com/ rocks thats for sure!! I remember the day in 1976 when I was 8 yrs old when they came on the air. The first song they played was Pink Foyed: Comfortably Numb. I've been a listener ever since that day!!!:cheers:

001.jpg

Overrever, Glad you got your car back. I can relate big time. I bought my Duster in 79-80 from a good friend's wife after he died. Got it running looking decent and drove the heck out of it till late 85, sold it to a Navy buddy and was able to get it back from him in 95. Its been sitting in the garage since 93 so its been back home with me for some time - screaming at me "when are you going to get started" every time I go in the garage.

You're Dart is sweet - keep the **** coming and don't forget to put a few videos up when you get her running again.

I Am over joyed to have her back! I promise that I was sick for 3 weeks when I sold her. (HER) Before I sold her my wife named her the BI*CH! When I brought her back home my wife even commented, (Now the BI*CH is back) She loves my car as much if not more than me so it's all good. I will try to get as many photos posted as I can, and will difinitly get a video or 2 of some wide open throttle runs!!! That is a promise.

JoeMc, I've looked for some photos of your Duster & cant seem to find any, Hey if she (your duster) keeps screaming at you, I have some small block parts that would difinitly make her scream at you that I'm (thinking about selling):

W2 Holley Strip Dominator Intake
W2 Econo race heads
Norris stainless steel Roller rocker arms
Lunauti roller cam .618 lift- 290 dur. & lifters
1972 340 .20 block w/used cast crank, rods, full floating pistons. The block is freeze cracked but it can be repaired by an experienced welder/brass brazer.
1970 340 .60 block w/ steel crank w/ new .60 pistons
1971 360 std block w/ used cast crank, rods & flat top pistons
1974 360 .60 block w/ used cast crank, rods & dished pistons
1991 360 std block w/ used cast crank, rods & dished pistons
1978 400 std block w/ used cast crank, rods & dished pistons
I was planning on building a 408 or bigger small block Mopar stroker, but things have changed to a big block now.
I went through he*l to get these parts, but at the moment I dont know what I'm going to do with them.

-
Back