68 Galaxie Fastback getting a Cummins transplant

-

jimmys_64_dart

Reaction score
Here it is my Ford Galaxie 500 XL Fastback. This car was free and a project from the get go. There is a 385 Series 429 Big Block in now that is going bye bye to make way for a 92 Cummins 12 Valve engine and trans. I have found everything for a great price so far so I am gonna work on it as I go. I will keep everyone updated with pics as I go along this journey of oddity.

Attachments

• 1333898468715.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 862
  • 1334184621304.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 517
  • 1334184673808.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 493
  • 1334184701073.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 506
Sure to piss off some Ferd guys if its a true big block car your pulling apart to re-energize. Seen an old Hudson Hornet repowered with a cummings, but they had the room for it cause factory was a straight eight. Post lots of pics.

I have seen worse bastard cars out there like a jaguar with a 350. The wasn't a matching car the engine was out of a Mercury. Trust me if it was a matching car I would restore it and sell it at a auction house.

I got the engine and trans pulled and ready to go today. I also noticed that I will have to get the frame repaired and reinforced. The last owner didn't box the frame for some reason and now it is twisted and cracking.

This I gotta see,...definitely do some frame work to support that cummins,...keep us posted...

I purchased 2 motors for this car and I had somebody offer me more than twice what I gave for them, so naturally I sold them. I am taking this as a sign to just sell the car off so that is what I am doing. I hate to just abandon a project but my 64 Dart is getting a little neglected.

Really, Posting pics of a Ford on a MOPAR A body specific web site, I don't really know whats worse...the fact that you started the Thread or that people responded with interest. WOW really!!

The Cummins motor is tall. The car was built for a 385.

Ain't this car about the same size as a Galaxie?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9--ISeNexM"]1970 DMC Cummins Diesel Monte Carlo smokes tires - YouTube[/ame]

Seen an old Hudson Hornet repowered with a cummings, but they had the room for it cause factory was a straight eight.

Now that's an out-of-the-box project I'd like to see. What a great highway cruiser that would be. The first family cars I remember as a very young kid were Hudson Hornets. My dad traded in the old one and bought a new one every two years. Outstanding cars in their day.

-
Back