68 gts convertible

-

superbirdrag

Reaction score
My friend has a 68 gts convertible without a fender tag, motor trans and dash vin match. Its a nice resto project.Should I buy it or should I wait and find one with the fender tag

Without seeing it, it's kind'a hard to judge.Any pics?
What's he asking for it? One of the questions that people ask if your selling a real matching number car is "do you have the fender tag"?

IF you are looking for a car to flip, it MUST have good docs or the price will suffer, BUT even a nicely documented 68 GTS convertible will likely be upsidedown after a full boogie resto...

I bought mine in 1983 and didn't check for docs (did have the original fender tag and owner's manual plus we found two broadcast sheets, all body match properly, but the engine was not original). We still have the car and do not plan on ever selling, but I like having the docs.

I have seen the car but dont have any pics.It is worth the money he is asking as far as a project is concerned. I have a GT convertible to build but was thinking that the gts would be a better value cause both will cost the same to restore. OR do both have the same value because the gts has no fender tag?

How do you tell if the convertible body is originally a gts body ? If in 68 the rad cradle and trunk lip numbers are not the same as the dash vin seq ?

The first question .. Is the interior still in the car? Have either of you exhausted all possibilities of finding a broadcast sheet in the car? under the seats, or under the carpet. inside the front seat backs or under the dash. All of these are possible locations for a sheet. Unless i am missing something on this body style, no fender tag, no broadcast sheet. Is there no Vin number on the car? Does the 68 vin not show the same info as later model cars. xx27x8xxxxx?

the dash has the vin. the motor has the vin. the trans has the vin.there is no fender tag and there is no build sheet

We found two broadcast sheets in our 68. One on the top of the original glove box liner and one in the rear seat back. Then again, that was 1983 and we bought the car completely intact and running from the second owner.

What do you think is worth more a A GT cloned into a 340 GTS convertible OR a 340 gts convertible with matching power train and dash but missing the fender tag and build sheet

I am going to build one of them just not sure which one. My cost is about $4000 more for the GTS project, only because I currently own the GT project

Attachments

• 009_(4).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 167
I'd build the original long before I'd build a clone. We have three A-body convertibles in the family. The GTS is mostly correct (non-original 340, 273 valve covers, sport caps and steering wheel on a car that was not built with them) with very good docs (two broadcast sheets, fender tag, stamped #'s, original owner's manual with first owner's name, and first California registration from the second owner in 1970) .

The other two are hot rods (440 powered.....well, mine will be if I ever get it done). They are a 67 Dart GT (my son's, 440/4sp) and a 67 Barracuda (mine, 440/727).

-
Back