68 twin turbo dart project.

-
Now on to the cooling system. I found that a radiator for a Nova is wide and not that tall. Thats good because I need to raise the radiator to clear the turbo inlets. And I also threw the hood on to see how the clearance is.

IMG_4685_zpsd2k4jspr.jpg

IMG_4736_zpsmh4lsigd.jpg

IMG_4737_zpsfr2vqljw.jpg

IMG_4739_zpstvmyuzed.jpg

IMG_4741_zps1kxxbb4g.jpg

IMG_4742_zpsdti9wxbz.jpg

IMG_4756_zpsd1lvuu4z.jpg

IMG_4759_zpsjlfyw87q.jpg

Great to see you re-energized and making progress, Chris. Looks awesome. I'll have to swing by for a firsthand look the next time that I'm out your way.

Now that's some progress my friend.

Last edited:
Not a whole lot once you get it all in there. But you knew that already.
Very true! I was mainly referring to the tight confines of the A-body being helped somewhat by the smaller size of the small block. Can you imagine turbo headers for an A-body Gen2 hemi? Those won’t come over the top.. lol

Here is the firewall modification. I originally welded up all the individual holes and warped the firewall requiring a ton of bodywork. Also I need a flat spot for the intercooler charge piping to come through and meet the intake elbow.

IMG_4840_zpsh00vwcnw.jpg

Hey is my good friend fitting up the sheetmetal. He is quite the fabricator and I am really fortunate to have him helping me on this. He is also quite the motivational force lol.

IMG_4841_zpsqpcagtud.jpg

IMG_4844_zps9vmh0npr.jpg

IMG_4853_zpsjjv4jud2.jpg

And fully welded.

IMG_4854_zps6t9bmeet.jpg

So to do the firewall I needed to pull the engine. While it was out I put a crank in the motor and added the oil pan and balancer so we can set up the alternator.

IMG_4850_zpsh49ngdgz.jpg
IMG_4851_zpsp1mqgfxo.jpg

IMG_4852_zps8oapcaj0.jpg

IMG_4939_zpsrc545yh6.jpg

IMG_4943_zpsekgfpavr.jpg

We decided to run a dual fuel system. We will have a 12 gallon fuel cell for pump gas with an A1000 intank pump for pump gas and then a 7.5 gallon fuel cell (a 20 gallon cell with a divider 2/3s on one side and 1/3 on the other) for track time with an Aeromotive 3.5 Pro pump (externally mounted) for C16 race gas. It'll run through a single -12 line and have a -10 return with valves to switch between the 2.

IMG_4945_zpsoioxwigy.jpg

IMG_4952_zpsxquyauf0.jpg

Very true! I was mainly referring to the tight confines of the A-body being helped somewhat by the smaller size of the small block. Can you imagine turbo headers for an A-body Gen2 hemi? Those won’t come over the top.. lol
I could imagine! I built a twin turbo Vega with a small block 10 years ago and It was stupid tight. The hard part is making it so you can work on the darn thing without having to remove 1000 things to get to what you need to fix. I kinda wish I had removed the inner fenders and mounted the turbos behind the front wheel.

Brilliant idea on the turbo crossmember mount. I'm loving the build!

Time for an update.
IMG_5059_zpszsdjpxg7.jpg

IMG_5075_zpsegmnnd0r.jpg

IMG_5077_zps4nodkuno.jpg

This the shots of the intercooler and water tank. There is a bilge pump (for a boat) inside the tank to circulate ice water through the intercooler. The intercooler will be obscured by the dash. This intercooler is rated for 2500 hp or over twice what I will make.

Next up is trans cooler and shifter. I decided to mount the trans cooler in the rear since I have so much stuff up front. The cooler is a Derale unit for Summit Racing. Its kinda overkill but these turbo cars make heat while building boost on the brake so I figured I would go big.

IMG_5130_zps63rcrfl9.jpg

IMG_5131_zpswewwti3z.jpg

IMG_5132_zpscpso0gjb.jpg

IMG_5133_zpslaw2uyny.jpg

IMG_5134_zpsmbuq6hfb.jpg

The alternator is a power master 75 amp unit. Hopefully it can keep up with all the electronics in this thing. Its getting really tight here and finding solutions that are easy to service are getting more challenging.

IMG_5170_zpszvfz4lun.jpg
IMG_5135_zpsytisyqdg.jpg

This is the last for now. Its the down pipe exiting the turbo. Its 4" and its tight. Even if it was 2.5" I wouldn't have much room to fit it. So it'll be a little loud for now, maybe I will come up with something better in the future.

IMG_5175_zpsokj8hbwq.jpg

IMG_5173_zpsh2ckkxsh.jpg

IMG_5172_zpswpanbjmb.jpg

-
Back