68 valiant factory rallye dash...pics added

-

dgswinger

Reaction score
does anybody else a 68 valiant with a factory installed rallye dash? my car left the factory nothing special a green 2 dr sedan black interior rubber mat /6 3 speed column shift..... BUT it has a rallye style dash cluster in it. i am in a round about way the 3rd owner the first was an old man that drove it to 9x,*** miles then sold it to the guy i bought it from and the only thing he did was remove the /6 and front suspension then left it for dead thats when i rescued it. im not asking this because i think that its gonna make my car worth $$$$ im just curious as ive looked at what seems to be hundreds of 68 valiants and no others i have found have a rallye cluster in them. anyone?......

i found some pics of when i brought it home i actually have a good pic of the dash in it!! ... then a few of it now

Attachments

• img052.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 667
  • img051.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 608
  • img053.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 469
  • 196863_1869790235186_2869328_n.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 486
  • 200095_1869789875177_2137294_n.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 469
I have been into Mopars since 1984 and have see 1000's of them of the years.I have never seen a factory ralley dash in a Valiant.But anything is possible with Mopar.

im looking for pics of when i brought it home cause i have the dash apart now, frame isnt out but i have the cluster out of it....

I think a glove box door bezel without Barracuda on it should have not been found in Plymouth parts books. Strange....

i am guessing someone swapped it in years ago ...even im doing a rally swap on a 68 dart using all year correct pieces and it looks real convincing too.

OR maybe this valiant was sold new in a different country ....in south America darts could have a rally dash and they had some unique and strange combos compared to the American combos

I think a glove box door bezel without Barracuda on it should have not been found in Plymouth parts books. Strange....

Excellent point Ben, I just chkd my 68 manual and there is a listing and I quote "Finish Plate Inst. Pnl Glove box door w/o Name plate or fish"
Valiant #2984228 . There is a goofy insignia in front of the 2, but I cant find it listed in the legend. time for a google search

If the bezel is out take a look at where it mounts to the frame and see if it looks like it has been modified, if not chk the vin tag and see if it looks orig to the frame??

Does the Vin on the dash frame match the body stampings and data tag? Might have gotten a transplant from a barracuda?

I'm thinking it came ordered like that if there's no emblem on that glove box door. Also, if it's still there, look at the wiring harness because of course it should look different and maybe you could tell if it looks original and untouched from '68........the routing of it, etc....

Ma Mopar had a lot of mysteries.

SWEET Vallie... 68's are my favorite.

i am guessing someone swapped it in years ago ...even im doing a rally swap on a 68 dart using all year correct pieces and it looks real convincing too.

OR maybe this valiant was sold new in a different country ....in south America darts could have a rally dash and they had some unique and strange combos compared to the American combos

I suspect this is original.

If you look at the technical service bulletins over at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1968-TSB-Index.shtml they note that there was a production issue with Valiant dashes and some will come with the Rallye type dash.

Over the last 20+ year I have heard of this many times. But never seen a picture or one in person. Figures, in the past most people parted out Valiants or raided parts off them in the junkyards. Only until recently did people do much with them; building bare bones "sleeper" looking cars.

Here is the TSB

68-25-2.jpg

nope its all original from what i can tell vin matches everything.... nothing is hacked and it has a plain glovebox trim piece. the wiring is all correct not butchered. this was just a valiant 100. car was sold new approx 100 miles from me.... i really think this may have been one of those ooops oh well its too late to worry about it now things that happened on the assembly line so im thinking there may be a barracuda somewhere that has my valiant dash in it.... keep digging guys and gals im stumped on this too... the build sheet got shredded by the mice so thats no help.... here are some pics of it out of the car its not in the best shape but it will be usable after some restoration.

Attachments

• dash 4.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 386
  • dash 3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 406
  • dash 2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 403
  • dash.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 415

I think if you look at the technical service bulletins over at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1968-TSB-Index.shtml they note that there was a production issue with Valiant dashes and some will come with the Rallye type dash.

Over the last 20+ year I have heard of this many times. But never seen a picture or one in person. Figures, most people

Here is the TSB

68-25-2.jpg

well there it is .....looks like empirical proof to me ....congrats on the super cool valiant

But, a plain glovebox bezel was not an "ooops" because the Barracuda had a the fish logo molded into it. The smooth bezel was not available till 1970 on the 340 Dart and Duster, so it had to be a Valiant option of sorts, very odd.

autoxcuda thats great info!!!! exactly what ive been looking for and atleast you can say you have seen one now!! wonder how many made it out like that?

autoxcuda thats great info!!!! exactly what ive been looking for and atleast you can say you have seen one now!! wonder how many made it out like that?

That is very cool!!! Just for the heck of it, you should get the part number off of that very rare glove box bezel :glasses7:

here is the part # 2984 228 whats funny is it looks like it was originally stamped with another #, then they melted that one over and stamped with this one for the valiant . i can make out the 1st 2 of the melted one as 28 then i can see a 7 a couple spaces over what would have been the other part numbers for the barracudas?

Attachments

• dash door #.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 393
I've seen two different Valiants with the Rallye dash. Both were white 68's with blue interiors.

If you look at the technical service bulletins over at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/1968-TSB-Index.shtml they note that there was a production issue with Valiant dashes and some will come with the Rallye type dash.

Over the last 20+ year I have heard of this many times. But never seen a picture or one in person. Figures, in the past most people parted out Valiants or raided parts off them in the junkyards. Only until recently did people do much with them; building bare bones "sleeper" looking cars.

Here is the TSB

68-25-2.jpg

Boy, that's just amazing, AutoX! Sherlock Holmes couldn't have done better! And who would've ever thought?........

If you take a look at my post #7, that is the correct part number. Dug that up from my parts manual. It didnt list a different # for the inst bezel, so I would assume that all valiants got the same steel dash frame as the 67-9 cuda?? Thats some cool info from autox!!

If you take a look at my post #7, that is the correct part number. Dug that up from my parts manual. It didnt list a different # for the inst bezel, so I would assume that all valiants got the same steel dash frame as the 67-9 cuda?? Thats some cool info from autox!!

No, the rallye dash takes a different dash frame too. And it takes a different instrument wiring harness.

This part was installed as one assembly with dash frame, dash pads, glovebox, instrument cluster, etc.

like this

attachment.php

-
Back