'68 Valiant Rear Seat Removal

-

BarracudaWild68

Reaction score
Hello. I looked through many threads on "rear seat removal" and only found old threads that are inactive. Also, I didn't see any reviewing how to remove the rear seats from the '67-'69 Valiants. I don't know which other years Mother Mopar installed them the same way and on which models, but I need help figuring out how to remove them. My brother and I both climbed into the back of my poor car trying to figure it out, to no avail. Would there be a picture of this in a shop manual or one of those repair books you can find at an auto parts store. I'm trying to find (I hope there is one) a build sheet.

Mymopar.com has free download of factory service manuals.

I would assume that all A bodies from 67 thru 76 the rear seat removes the same way.

Push the front of the rear seat bottom toward the rear of the car while lifting up on it. (I typically use my knee to give it a bit of a kick - lightly- whily lifting up.) There are two "hooks" on the floor.

The back has two screws below the bottom edge of the seat on two clasps

Thanks a lot for the heads-up on those free downloads. I'll give it a try tomorrow after coffee!

The bottom of early seat backs had only couple of metal tangs poked through slot of the frame and bent. Gravity, etc.., would cause the back to drop down some, then its in the way of moving the seat bottom rearward. Try to raise the back a little, then push the bottom rearward.
They did change to bolts at the bottom loops of back frame at some year model. You can see where the back is fastened in corners here. Socket and extension will loosen the bolts.
1967 1968 1969 Dodge Dart GT Swinger Plymouth A-Body rear seat 2 door hardtop | eBay

Push down on the front then back and then lift up. There was a photo of the bracket here a couple days ago. Finding it may be tough though.

Here it is. Just a couple of keystrokes on Google.

latch.jpg

Yes, I remember cleaning the Dusters back seats, push them back with your knees and lift the rears up past the backings. They will **** up and out. Then you can find all the loose "beer money" change..or worse..gas money!

Unless they changed it in 68 this is what my 67 dart looks like (photos are from a 67 Coronet but look the same.)

Screenshot_20211115-080630.png

Upper hook that holds the upper part of the rear seat seat back
Screenshot_20211115-080639.png

Thanks a lot folks. I will try all the info/suggestions to get them out of there. With a bad lower back and bad right hip, it will be slow-going and painful, but I gotta do it.

Maybe spend more time working on your own car instead of worrying about other people's. That seems to get it more accomplished. But I'm no expert.

Funny, the guy criticizes your build to s**t, but he cant figure out how to get his back seat out?? Lmao.
Maybe spend more time working on your own car instead of worrying about other people's. That seems to get it more accomplished. But I'm no expert.

Funny, the guy criticizes your build to s**t, but he cant figure out how to get his back seat out?? Lmao.
You really have a very sad life to make a ******* wasted comment like that about someone who is just learning about a car he is not familiar with. Sad man, aren't you!

That post was from Nov. '21, asshat. You are just looking to start a fight, cockhead!

You really have a very sad life to make a ******* wasted comment like that about someone who is just learning about a car he is not familiar with. Sad man, aren't you!
Says the guy who made an entire thread because his feelings were hurt by my build with my money and this being the FIRST MOPAR I'VE EVER OWNED....

Never once asked how to remove a back seat and found my buildsheet on my own. But I'm not the one making a thread trashing yours. Crazy how that works huh? I did the research and figured it out and even did it from the trunk when my kids locked the keys in the car at a show. So maybe before saying mopar or no car, you should figure out your car or no car before you criticize and cry like a grown toddler on here.

So any other tips beyond down, back, up. I have just wrestled with my 66 valiant convertible back seat for an hour. One side came out nice and easy the other doesn’t even seem like it’s budging

So any other tips beyond down, back, up. I have just wrestled with my 66 valiant convertible back seat for an hour. One side came out nice and easy the other doesn’t even seem like it’s budging
I had a similar wrangling problem with my car's back seat. Damn thing didn't want to budge, until I had nearly given up! Now that I have removed it, I see how it is to be removed. I have had rear seats that came out easier. Oh well.

-
Back