68 Valiant Signet, 2D, A/C car, build

-
I went ahead and got a poly rear trans mount as the rubber original was pretty rotten.

I'm not too tickled with the clutch arm boot fit. The clutch arm comes out of the trans on a downaward angle. This is fixed by the arm pivot point and the location of the throwout bearing. So the boot ends up being bunched up on the bottom of the arm, and stretched out over the top of the arm. It would have been nice if they had molded the boot to fit the set up a little better, but I guess it is what it is.

Also the clutch spring looks a little tight to me. Stretched out too far. I contacted Wayne at Brewer's Performance and emailed him a picture. He assures me I have the right spring and it is installed correctly.

6-16 trans mount.jpg

6-16 clutch boot.jpg

6-16 clutch spr.jpg

That's a nice looking exhaust manifold!! Oh yea, the engine looks great also..LOL!! It looks like you're getting real close ??

treblig

That's a nice looking exhaust manifold!! Oh yea, the engine looks great also..LOL!! It looks like you're getting real close ??

treblig

Yeah, hoping to fire it up before the end of June. Just got my exhaust system from Accurate Exhaust Products yesterday. It looks real nice laying on the floor. Hope it installs as nice as it looks! We'll find out this weekend!

Yes, I've really got to do an update and pics. I've been driving it all summer. Now just need to build a hot engine.

So far the 4speed is fun to drive, I do think it is worn a bit though. The 8.75 rear seems to be working well. Suspension is awesome so far. need new wheels and tires to take full advantage.

Sometime when I have a few I'll update the thread.

Thanks,

CE

Well, I've been making some progress as of late. I started getting my 360 Magnum together. Or maybe I should say... apart :)The block is back from the machine shop. I had it cooked, magnafluxed, honed (only needed .0015) with deck plates, new cam bearings installed, crank polished the the pistons and rods cleaned. I am pretty pleased with it. I cleaned up all the freeze plug holes, chased all the threaded holes, wire wheeled the outter surfaces (it was rusty!) And today I pressure washed the whole thing and really paid close attention to the oil galleries etc. Now it is out baking in the sun to get all the moisture out. Cylinder walls and lifter bores have been wiped out and WD'd

This weekend I'll start putting in the threaded plugs, freeze plugs, distributor bushing, etc.

I got a care package today from Hughes Engines with new rings, rod and main bearings, dist bushing, and brass freeze plugs. Whoohooo!

IMG_20170629_174044468.jpg
IMG_20170629_174056063.jpg

Also, go the new rims today. I did some testing with one rim and tire combo, as I wanted to use the same size in all 4 corners. Eventually I want to be able to jump in this car and go on a trip with my wife and have it be comfortable (relatively..... :) lol ) powerful, and handle well. Kind of a pro touring ride that I can autoX once in a while. Anyhow here is what I went with. I am still waiting for the welder to finish burning in my subframe connectors. Hopefully this weekend!!! Then I'll buy my tires, get her aligned, etc.

IMG_20170618_124409164.jpg
IMG_20170620_202545836.jpg

Lookin good Chris! Stupid question- what makes a Signet a "Signet?" Did they all have that B-pillar trim? Was it sort of like a valiant's version of the western sports special.

BTW, you went with a good looking wheel. What size tires did you decide on?

Evan I honestly don't know what makes a Signet a Signet. I always just thought it was the trim package. This car has a lot chrome trim as you mentioned. It also has a finish panel on the trunk lid. Maybe someone'll chime in.

I went with the 245-45-17's on a 8" wide rim.

Make sure you get an engine brush kit and really scrub out all the oil galleys with hot soapy water, then blow out. Tons of crud can get stuck in there and an exterior wash won't get it.

Make sure you get an engine brush kit and really scrub out all the oil galleys with hot soapy water, then blow out. Tons of crud can get stuck in there and an exterior wash won't get it.

I used engine brushes and purple power degreaser, followed by pressure washer, followed by compressed air, followed by engine brushes again with WD40, to minimize the flash rust. I think they're pretty clean. What I could see with the flashlight looked pretty good but of course you can't see it all!

Well, got all the plugs and such back in the engine. Put in a new distributor bearing too. Yes I did remember the smaller npt plug inside the block behind the larger npt plug. I didn't take out the steel cup that sits way down in the gallery at the rear of the engine. I did confirm it is still there after the machine shop did their thing. Am I forgetting any??!!

mag1.jpg

mag2.jpg

mag3.jpg

mag4.jpg

mag5.jpg

mag6.jpg

mag7.jpg

After carefully checking all the main bearing clearances we now have crankage. Spins nicely. Thrust bearing was set back, and then forward against the journal. It all seems good this far!

mag8.jpg

mag9.jpg

mag10.jpg

Lookin good Chris! Stupid question- what makes a Signet a "Signet?" Did they all have that B-pillar trim? Was it sort of like a valiant's version of the western sports special.

BTW, you went with a good looking wheel. What size tires did you decide on?
Signet is the trim package. The car would receive a finish panel on the trunk lid, dress up pkg on dash, the emblems that said signet and the extra SS. Ie.. around B pillars and windows.

Well had to pull the crank back out. Turns out the cam was too tight. Went back to the machine shop this morning. A little set back, but better to get it right now!

Yay! Got the new shoes on the Val and got it back from the alignment shop today. I think it looks pretty good. I'm going to have to do a little fender adjusting. I did get a rub once when I was backing up and hitting a bump at the same time. Actually I think if I remove the bolt in the rear of the front fenderwell it will take care of it, but I may do some metal work too. This car is meant to handle and if I have to do some work to make it do that, then that is what I'll do. I can't believe how well the new tires stick to the road!!! I haven't even come close to making them squeal yet and I'm pulling way more G force than I ever did with my BFG T/A's. But then I guess that is what you get with decent 200 tread wear tires!

IMG_20170804_193211324.jpg

IMG_20170804_193234008.jpg

Any updates, Chris???

Hey Evan,

Nothing much to report! I've been building a new "machine shop" here at the house for my "real job" so there has been ZERO car time as of late. Started building the 360, Got a tremec 5 speed from a member here. Its gonna be sweet! Just got to get moved out of my basement shop and into my new ground level shop which will have larger equipment for more capability.

Thanks for checkin' in. Hope everything is well out on the left coast. Anything new with you?

CE

-
Back