69 383 Performance

-
With nothing more than a set of 'street' Gears {3.91}, and a set of 'street-type' Cyclone Headers, they were capable of running 14.20's @ 97 MPH.[/B]

my experience back in the day was that stock style 383's were lazy.

This is what I was getting at earlier. While 14's and 15's may have been impressive back in the day, it just isn't anymore. At least not to me.

Again, I know there are runners out there. I've just yet to see or be in one, in person.

Check the timing at idle. this is your "initial timing" with a very mild or stock cam i think 12-16* is a good base line.

while you are timing have another person in the car (in park gear) rev the engine gradually until you see the timing stop climbing. this should be in the 33-36* range. this is your Total timing"

Now do that same process again and with the timing light going have your assistant very gradually rev the engine while you pay very close attention to when the timing STOPS advancing and reaches your totol timing #. When you reach that point have your assistant note the RPM at which the timing stopped advancing this is your "timing all in" point.

so when somebody says. 16* initial, 34* total and all in by 2500rpm. they are saying:

I have 16* timing at idle, 34* total timing that is fully advanced at 2500 rpm.

your distributor has a mechanical advance mechanism built into it. your timing will advance farther with engine rpm. you can fine tune "timing curve" by setting how much timing you have at idle, how fast the distributor advances the timing in comparison to engine RPM and how much total timing the distributor provides.

If you perform these steps and get us the #'s it will help us help you. so get the initial (idle timing), the total timing ( timing at higher engine RPM) then let us know when your timing is "all in" (what RPM the timing stops advancing)

Not all 383's are dogs. in fact they built the foundation that the mopar street cred. was built on back in the muscle car days. I have a 383 in my dart and it is not a dog!

https://youtu.be/DKWDPngenqE

Ok I got a timing light and did the measurements. At idle 500rpm it was at 10* with vacuum line disconnected.
I advanced the timing to 14* with vacuum line disconnected at 500rpm.
I had my brother rev the car until it stopped advancing at 32* and 2400rpm. With vacuum line disconnected
I re connected the vacuum line at idle and got 14*
Had my brother Rev the engine until it stopped advancing at 55* and 2600rpm (seams really high)

I have not driven the car yet, wanted to get input before I did something I can't undo.

Thanks

-
Back