69 Dart 340 Swinger

-
George - Im sorta using your photos to figure out where my engine harness goes - If you get a chance can you take a shot of where the horns and horn relay go? Please:-D Bye the way your car is looking great.

Bill

George, beautiful job! I`ve noticed the flat side of your heater motor flange is on the bottom. I don`t know what`s correct but most I`ve seen the flat side is faced toward the drivers side.???

Bill,
I'll get ya a pic of the horn, its unpainted mounting bolt, and the relay tonight. Basically the horn mounts on the radiator support pass side. The bolt comes in from the grill side. The relay is mounted behind the drivers side kick panel.

Longgone,
Thanks for pointing that out. I looked at a picture of another restored car for reference, but I should have looked at more than one for the correct orientation. I just fixed it.

If anyone sees anything else that isn't installed or refinished correctly, please point it out to me.

Another restoration update should be posted tonight.

George

Bill,
I'll get ya a pic of the horn, its unpainted mounting bolt, and the relay tonight. Basically the horn mounts on the radiator support pass side. The bolt comes in from the grill side. The relay is mounted behind the drivers side kick panel.

Longgone,
Thanks for pointing that out. I looked at a picture of another restored car for reference, but I should have looked at more than one for the correct orientation. I just fixed it.

If anyone sees anything else that isn't installed or refinished correctly, please point it out to me.

Another restoration update should be posted tonight.

George

iirc, horn relays for 67 cudas are mounted in the engine bay next to the horns. 68 they went behind the drivers kick panel.

in regards to the rad support blackout, longgone is right. the "blackout man" or "the pit" was the dirtiest job on the assembly line. however it got on the car was that person's choice at the time, neat or messy.

hey george, aren't 69 340's supposed to be red? or did they change colors from 68 to 69?

Nope, they snuck a blue year in on the 69's. The 68's are red. I know because I had my 340 painted blue then red (cuz a guy at the speed shop convinced me I was wrong) then I went online to two different sites and both had the 69 340 as blue. So I painted the darn thing AGAIN. Two more coats and I'll have a big block.

really nice work you are doing to your car,Keep up the good work and good luck too yaaaaa!I'd paint the whole car gold then mask off and do the semi black on a lift but it is your car.just easier to mask off the car than the undercarriage(the tape sticks better but thats just my .02)

iirc, horn relays for 67 cudas are mounted in the engine bay next to the horns. 68 they went behind the drivers kick panel.

in regards to the rad support blackout, longgone is right. the "blackout man" or "the pit" was the dirtiest job on the assembly line. however it got on the car was that person's choice at the time, neat or messy.
Goes to show you what I know about 67 Cuda's!I just assumed, since Bill asked me, that it would be the same as my car.

Thanks for all the comments fellas! I can't wait to take it for a cruise!! Shooting for late June/early July.

George

George - Im sorta using your photos to figure out where my engine harness goes - If you get a chance can you take a shot of where the horns and horn relay go? Please:-D Bye the way your car is looking great.

Bill
Bill, if you look at post #81 in this thread (page 5) the last 2 pix are of the horn from both sides of the firewall.

George

I just assumed, since Bill asked me, that it would be the same as my car.

George

Yeah - Sorry George I have no clue - I lost all my disassembly photos
so Im winging it with a Parts Pub and a bunch of mopar muscle magazines
and of course help from here.
Thanks, Bill

George,

Your Dart project is looking like a 100 point restoration going on there! Very SWEET JOB!

Keep the pictures coming please! Kim

Nope, they snuck a blue year in on the 69's. The 68's are red. I know because I had my 340 painted blue then red (cuz a guy at the speed shop convinced me I was wrong) then I went online to two different sites and both had the 69 340 as blue. So I painted the darn thing AGAIN. Two more coats and I'll have a big block.

TURQUOISE. The 1969 340's were painted TURQUOISE. Not blue. I had my you-know-what handed to me at the Mopar Nationals for having my 340 painted BLUE. Also, many original owners emailed me with info that their 340's all came from the factory painted TURQUOISE.

I guess you'll be getting out that spray gun again, eh?

NICE PROGRESS George!! Now I see where you have been hanging out!! LOL

TURQUOISE. The 1969 340's were painted TURQUOISE. Not blue. I had my you-know-what handed to me at the Mopar Nationals for having my 340 painted BLUE. Also, many original owners emailed me with info that their 340's all came from the factory painted TURQUOISE.

I guess you'll be getting out that spray gun again, eh?

NICE PROGRESS George!! Now I see where you have been hanging out!! LOL

Thanks for the insight GTS. I'll need to choose my words more carefully. You are correct. Turquoise is the word used on engine paint charts to describe 69 340 engine color. I've also seen it interchanged with the words 'Mopar Blue' in magazine articles and at speed shops. My engine color is Turquoise, not blue, and is correct (finally) so the gun can stay in the drawer.
Regards.

Well there George,
You could bring your talent and spray gun over to my place anytime if you would like!

I look forward to updated pictures when you get a chance, Thanks
:-D

Thanks for the insight GTS. I'll need to choose my words more carefully. You are correct. Turquoise is the word used on engine paint charts to describe 69 340 engine color. I've also seen it interchanged with the words 'Mopar Blue' in magazine articles and at speed shops. My engine color is Turquoise, not blue, and is correct (finally) so the gun can stay in the drawer.
Regards.

That's where the confusion comes in! There is a "Mopar Blue" that was used on 1971 and up engines. Whatever you do, just don't use FORD engine Blue!! LOL!
What we have to use on our 340's is actually Mopar Turquoise that was used on the 383/440's. Personally, I liked my engine compartment with the 340 painted BLUE. It stood out better. With it painted Turquoise, the 340 sort of disappears between the fenders.

Hi guys-
GOOD to see you here Frank!
The motor is turquoise. After Frank's email, I couldn't paint it any other color! The camera makes it look more blue.
I appreciate all the kind words, and I should have pix up this week. The car is on all 4's, all the body panels are on, both doors are assembled with the windows, weatherstripping, etc. I still need to cut & buff one quarter panel, one door, one fender and the hood. I have been working for DAYS trying to get the body gaps as close as I feel possible. I still need to slide the hood straight back about 1/16", but once I loosten the bolts I loose all the other adjustments I already have so I figgered I'd hold off a bit. The hood has to come off to drop the motor in anyway.
I'll try to get a few more pix up tonight if I don't fall asleep.....again.
Thanks again fella's for all the kind words.

Hey Frank, stick around buddy. This is a great site dude!

George
P.S. How is "Big Red" these days? Back to normal??

Thats funny. I could of sworn my engine was blue. The turquoise looks way different to me. Do I have to get out my spray gun now?
You are doing an awesome job George. Can't wait to see pics of it finished.

Billy's Motor (Small).JPG

George,
Your car is looking awesome!!!!!!

My Dart is in the paint shop now.
It is a original Y4 car.
Have been on the fence at changing the color.
You are making it tough though.Your car looks great in gold.

Nice work.
John

Picture 396.jpg

I dunno why the color is all washed out with this camera, but all the pix seem to come out like that now.
Ph well. Hope you all like the car.

George

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

-
Back