69 Dart 440 Convertible

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I know I should have started this as soon as I bought the heap, but I didn't. :D Anyway, it's a 69 Dart convertible with a 440 and 4 speed, 8-3/4 Suregrip with 456's and Super Stock springs moved inboard, fenderwell headers, hydraulic clutch, fiberglass nose with lift-off 6PAK hood, large bolt pattern disc brakes and a power top. Interior will be black and so will the soft top, rear stripe, and the hood. I have a set of front 15X4 Cragar S/S wheels and skinny bias ply tires in just got from Wheel Vintiques. Might run a set of 15X8 steelies out back, but undecided as of now. You know how I am with Cragars!

Just got the engine compartment ready for paint on Friday so I threw some red enamel in there so I can put some stuff back ON the car for a change.

I sold my (Avatar pic) gold 69 Swinger 340 in October, and we dragged this thing home from New Jersey on a trailer. I only drove it off the trailer and into the garage, and never even drove it around the neighborhood.

Those of you that followed my 340 Swinger resto may be disappointed with the lack of detail on this car, but I simply can't do that level of restoration work again right now. It's too expensive and it takes too much time. I want to drive this one this summer. LOL
Figured I'd show you guys where I'm at right now. FEEL FREE to make suggestions as you see fit! I encourage them.
Car will have 1" torsion bars that I picked up from the fire sale Joe posted. Thanks again Joe!
Anyway, here it is!!!!

George

eng comp paint convert 001small.jpg

eng comp paint convert 002small.jpg

eng comp paint convert 003small.jpg

eng comp paint convert 004small.jpg

eng comp paint convert 005small.jpg

I dont know how anyone does the level of restoration you did on the last one! I'm happy to see that you're doing another one though. It sounds like its gonna be a beast and it looks great so far.

Looking good so far George! I can't wait to see the rest of the build. Your work is just awesome. Me likey. :love7:

Wylde1.

Made a little more progress. Hopefully I can regasket and paint the 440 this weekend, and drop it back in the car.
Note new brake lines, Line-Loc solenoid, hydraulic clutch cylinder, new brakes, bushings and modified fenderwells so I can turn the car.

George

69 Dart Convertible21.jpg

69 Dart Convertible22.jpg

69 Dart Convertible23.jpg

69 Dart Convertible24.jpg

69 Dart Convertible25.jpg

69 Dart Convertible26.jpg

69 Dart Convertible27.jpg

69 Dart Convertible28.jpg

69 Dart Convertible29.jpg

69 Dart Convertible31.jpg

The gold one was gorgous and this one is looking good so far.

Now you said you want to drive it this summer, are you putting an overdrive unit in with the 4.56 gears?

Back in the day I knew people running 4.56 and even a few with 4.88's but they didn't drive them much other than in town. I had a 70 Challenger 340 with 4.10's, brothers dart had 3.91. Drove these cars on the interstate at 80 MPH and didn't think a thing of it. Now that we are all used to an engine turning less than 2000 rpm at highway speed makes you want to shift again after getting in high gear on the interstate. I changed from 3.23 to 3.73 and now want a 5th gear. Might even go back to the 3.23, it isn't a race car so make it more highway friendly.

Keep up the progess and documentation

Hey Doug!
The quarters were replaced by a body shop way before I bought the car so I guess they were rotted pretty good. Only metal work I need to do still is the trunk extensions (I have replacements) and maybe the outer wheel houses. I haven't removed the rear tires since I bought the car if you can believe that, so I can't get my head in there to check them out real good, but I can feel roughness. Once I can turn the car around and back it into the garage I'll take a closer look in there. Also the front floor pans were replaced by the same body shop.
Hope you have been well Doug!!

George

The gold one was gorgous and this one is looking good so far.

Now you said you want to drive it this summer, are you putting an overdrive unit in with the 4.56 gears?

Back in the day I knew people running 4.56 and even a few with 4.88's but they didn't drive them much other than in town. I had a 70 Challenger 340 with 4.10's, brothers dart had 3.91. Drove these cars on the interstate at 80 MPH and didn't think a thing of it. Now that we are all used to an engine turning less than 2000 rpm at highway speed makes you want to shift again after getting in high gear on the interstate. I changed from 3.23 to 3.73 and now want a 5th gear. Might even go back to the 3.23, it isn't a race car so make it more highway friendly.

Keep up the progess and documentation
Hey Wildcat. I have 2 center pumpkins with 3.23 gears. One is a clutch type and one is a rebuilt (remachined cones) cone type. I can swap then in when it's time to drive to Carlisle! LOL
Thanks for the kind words, but this car will never be as nice as the gold car was. I just don't have it in me, and the car itself isn't worthy of that level of detail. I wanna drive this one in the rain if I have to without having a heart attack if it gets cloudy outside! LOL

George

Hydraulic Clutch? Very Cool.
Whats The Solenoid Above The Master???

One thing be sure to tape things up real good Gearge,nothing worse than over spray on nicely paint parts.Keep up the fine work,that car is going to be worth a ton of money.:cheers:

Thanks for the kind words, but this car will never be as nice as the gold car was. I just don't have it in me,........

SLACKER!!!! :poke:

Things are looking good, George. Keep up the good work. What hydraulic clutch system are you using?

Wylde1.

Hydraulic Clutch? Very Cool.
Whats The Solenoid Above The Master???
Solenoid is for the Line-Loc.
Hydraulic clutch parts were with the car when I bought it. I just had to reengineer the system so it would be more comfortable and work properly. Its a 5/8" bore master and a 7/8" bore slave. Steel line connects the two, and there is a remote reservoir. The parts look to be generic stock parts from a newer truck, maybe? It has a 5" pedal travel and a very light pedal pressure.

George

Hey George, looks like you,ve come a long way since I saw your car in October. I took your suggestion and I am replacing the pipes with the a stock system to eliminate most of the clamps. I will fix the tear in the front seat, and have the radio repaired (static). I will take a look at the play in the steering wheel when it warms up a bit. I took her out for a ride last month and she ran great! I really love the car. I know how you feel about starting a whole new restoration project again. It is a lot of work! I took a pretty good beating on the C3 when I sold it because I built it thinking I would keep it. Oh well.... I will check up on your progress regularly. Good luck George. The red and black will look HOT! Can't wait to see it finished. I had the same color scheme on my 63 Plymouth Fury Convertible many moons ago...

The "KING" has returned, I missed this thread when you started it in February but I will keep it on my watch list now. George your stuff is great, you do top notch work my friend. Looking forward to seeing this one on the road. I'm sure it's going to be super cool, with the big block and the four speed, that thing is going to scream!!

For us guys that didn't see it when you bought it you should post the off the trailer pictures if you have them. Keep up the good work and as always post a ton of pictures as you go. Take care,,, Rich.

LONG LIVE KING George!!!

Glad to see your back doing what you enjoy doing,your son will be a master at restoring cars!Keep up the great work,continue with pics as you go.8)

So it sounds like I completely missed out on your first car! Can some one provide a link please?

Thanks!

Paul

Hey George, looks like you have come a long way since I saw your rag top in October. Great looking work! I took your suggestion and I am replacing the exhaust system (pipes only) with the a stock system from Antique Exhaust Systems, Ohio. I will find someone to fix the tear in the front seat, and the am radio. I need to take a look at the steering column to see why the steering wheel has axial play, but I am waiting for the weather to warm up just a bit. I took it out for a ride last month and love it! Hope to see you on the road this summer!

Hi Dave! Glad to have you here man! I miss the old car, but I'm having fun doing the vert too. Glad you're getting that crappy Summit exhaust off that beautiful car. I never did like it, but the price was right and it did sound good!
I'm hoping to have this one on the road this summer, finished or not! I'm sure I'll see you around. Maybe I can make the Friday night McDonalds cruise a few times. You'll have to make it to the Monroe Friday cruise too! It would be nice to see the Gold car again. Hope you have been well Dave!!

The "KING" has returned, I missed this thread when you started it in February but I will keep it on my watch list now. George your stuff is great, you do top notch work my friend. Looking forward to seeing this one on the road. I'm sure it's going to be super cool, with the big block and the four speed, that thing is going to scream!!

For us guys that didn't see it when you bought it you should post the off the trailer pictures if you have them. Keep up the good work and as always post a ton of pictures as you go. Take care,,, Rich.

LONG LIVE KING George!!!
RichieO!!! My biggest fan in the world! When are you coming to visit family in CT??? I still owe you a ride, and some seat time in the vert!!

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.

Here are the latest pix from this afternoon. I was fitting up the front fiberglass and grill so I can get them ready for prep & paint. It looks like I'll be painting this car in sections (I've done it before, no biggie) rather than as a unit. I just don't have that amount of time like I had with the gold car. This one doesn't have to be as pretty, though! LOL

George

69 Dart Convertible30.jpg

69 Dart Convertible31.jpg

69 Dart Convertible32.jpg

69 Dart Convertible33.jpg

69 Dart Convertible34.jpg

69 Dart Convertible35.jpg

69 Dart Convertible36.jpg

69 Dart Convertible37.jpg

69 Dart Convertible38.jpg

-
Back