69 Dodge Dart Cummins Build

-

Demondart71_69

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new on here and wanted to share one of my project with you guys. I own a lot of mopars as I own a junkyard full of them some of you probably know my dad as Marty Bollinger he was a big mopar guy and built a bunch of them as like the 4x4 General Lee and the 71 Challenger wagon so I'm wanting to build a different car that will get looks like his do. I already have a 71 dodge demon gy3 sizzler car I did a full restoration on so now I'm wanting to do another a body I have a 69 dart slant 6 car that I plan on doing a dodge cummins motor swap with fully independent suspension all the way arround so may hate me but it has sat here for about 10 years and rotted so now it's time to fix her up I have a few questions on it so if someone could please help me id appreciate it. Some people say a 4bt and 6bt will bolt up to a 727 is that true? And how well would a conquest rear end hold up to all that torque I know I will have to reinforce it or would I be better off going with a corvette rear end? Thanks pics to come

0326171925a_HDR.jpg

sounds like a great project

just curious, do you happen to have a set of parking lights from a 69 valiant kicking around?

I'd say you're looking at a full tube chassis if it's been sitting on the ground like that for 10 years.

I wouldn't trust the Conquest rear behind a 4BT or 6BT, The Starion/Conquest rear does fine behind a mild V8, but it's not going to survive long behind a Diesel. I wouldn't trust the Corvette rear behind a Cummins either, it's nothing more than an Independent Dana 44. You'd be better off building a custom Dana 60 Based Independent Rear, have Strange or Moser cut custom axleshafts to the length you need and have the WMS drilled to use Viper CV Axles (the Viper rear is also a Dana 44, like the Corvette), or step straight up to CV Axles for the front of a Diesel 4x4 pickup.

The 6BT will fit a Diesel 727 from an 89-91 Dodge Truck, a 4BT will too, if you use a 6BT Adapter on the 4BT

I would say, "WHY?", and you would say, "Why not?" I still wonder WHY?

I was at your dad's place before and bought a few parts from him, he was a good guy with some wild ideas! I almost bought an 82 Rampage when I was there, but already had a loaded trailer. If I were you I would use a Cummins 4BT out of a bread truck, if you use a 5.9 then like said above you may have to do a full frame as the weight of the engine is way too much for the stock frame. You can always use a truck frame and put the Dart body on it...

There is a 6bt in dart on the Moparts forum. But, he had to cut the fire wall out and it is more of a drag car.

I would go with a 4bt. If fits a lot better and weights as much as a iron headed hemi. The 6bt weights over 900 pounds. I have pics of mine that I'm doing now with a 4bt in a 72 dart.

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

I can think of one or two answers to why. Better mpg and more torque, and still not a Prius. Oops that's three. I was thinking about doing some thing similar with my '64 valiant.

-
Back